Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Transmitter operated kill switch ( toks

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Transmitter operated kill switch ( toks

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:08 PM
crooked stripe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter operated kill switch ( toks

I have been getting advise on mufflers from you folks for my first gas plane and it has been terrific. Now kill switches. I have a switch that turns on and off my ignition plus also hooks to the battery and has a charge plug wired in. Problem Isee is you have to get to the plane once landed to turn the motor off. Should Ihook up a kill switch that is transmitter operated? I purchased one, it has a switch lead, a switch that either turns on or off the power and a micro switch that is servo operated that kills the all power thus shutting down the motor. Am Isuppose to use both switches or do you all have a way that is preferable? Hoping for great answers like Ireceived for the mufflers. Ihope Ireally didn't confuse you. Sometimes Ihave a way of over thinking things. John
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Transmitter operated kill switch ( toks

A lot of fellas I know recommend using an Opti-kill. I don't.. but I DO advise in putting some kind of method of killing your ignition remotely in the event of a broken linkage or a servo freezing. I had this happen recently on a plane and had not yet set up an electrical kill that could be actuated from the transmitter. The plan was to wire in a micro switch and use a small servo to engage(close) and disengage(open) the switch. I simply wired the switch into series with the ground of the battery. I actually wired it in on a 6" extension so it didn't actually get cut into either the switch harness or the battery themselves. One other point is because I wired it in between the switch and battery, I have to make sure the switch is closed so that I can charge the battery.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:01 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first gasser had a Opto-Kill switch. Never used it. All I use now is the throttle cut and/or choke. My advice is don't overthink this. Our nitro's did not have anything other than throttle kill. So by having the choke I have a secondary kill, both operated via radio. Of course this is IMHO.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm with acerc. I've used optical kill switches, but I have had them go bad and then it was just money down the drain. I like being able to kill the engine from the radio easily. I've used micro switches available from Radio Shack and I've also put a servo mounted to operate the choke on the carb. Either way will easily kill the engine from the radio. IMHO the optical switches are a waste of money.

Ken
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM
crooked stripe

I wired in a GP ignition switch harness tonight. I tested many times to make sure everything worked as it should. This puts 3 switches in the plane. 1 is the main radio equipment switch, the second is the charge jack switch and the third is the ignition switch that operates the module. The charge jack switch is mounted inside the plane. I figure when I  get to the field that switch will be turned on before I button up the canopy. This way with the main switch inside, nothing but human error will cause problems. If the first switch is not reset I won't be able to recharge. By the way can someone describe the Opto-kill switch. Thank you all for the info, John
Old 09-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Mk23socom

ORIGINAL: crooked stripe

I can someone describe the Opto-kill switch.

http://redwingrc.com/accessories/opt...ill-switch.htm
Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 AM
jetmech05

All my gassers have an optic kill switch.....I have never had a problem.....I always mount them on a foam pad....
An optic kill switch uses a small piece of optic fiber to sense power from the receiver...if the receiver losses power then the ignition cuts off. Keeps you from having an unresponsive run away airplane. Reduces the chance of the ignition system interfering with the system because of the optic fiber. It also is a kill switch, so you have an additional way to kill the motor from your transmitter.
I am in the process of doing a 100 CC Extra. I have chossen to use the smart fly power expander. That uses a long piece of fiber optic to go from the expaner, which sets near the back of the hatch opening, to the optic kill which sets just forward of the wing tube.
IMHO a kill switch is easier and a lot more relieable then a servo operated switch. Loss of power the motor is still running and you lost your servo operated switch.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Having an optical kill is better than not having one any day. I've got hundreds of flights with RC Excel kill switches in a number of planes and never had a kill switch die. Not that they can't, any electronic device can fail, but its definately not the norm.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: acerc

My first gasser had a Opto-Kill switch. Never used it. All I use now is the throttle cut and/or choke. My advice is don't overthink this. Our nitro's did not have anything other than throttle kill. So by having the choke I have a secondary kill, both operated via radio. Of course this is IMHO.
Yup, that's what I do too.

You get double duty out of the TX controlled choke too.

I rig mine up so that TWO switches have to be thrown on the TX to get the choke to activate, so I don't accidentally flip it on while the plane is in the air.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Having an optical kill is better than not having one any day. I've got hundreds of flights with RC Excel kill switches in a number of planes and never had a kill switch die. Not that they can't, any electronic device can fail, but its definately not the norm.
I used to not have any problems with the same exact switches as well. But recently I have 3 in a row go bad on my so I have kind of soured on them for the moment. Very frustrating to pay ~$20 for something and have it go bad.

Ken

Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do as Ken does, it's really old school but it works. Last winter one of my old students had the optic go bad and it took us a while to trace the problem. I have often just used the radio with a three way switch, High idle for flying, low idle for landing and just sitting on the runway then when I hit the switch it brought the idle down to kill the engine. Sometimes I set up the choke on a switch so it can be killed that way too, hit the switch and close the choke. Last year I had the linkage fall off the throttle though and I had to fly my plane around at full throttle until it ran out of gas. A G-62 will fly a long time on 20 ounces of gas!! My next gasser I will use the optic kill switch but still set up my engine with the three way switch. If you have the optic kill switch then use it. Doesn't hurt to have a back up. I may change my mind too and do like ken, I keep micro switches on hand in my shop. You can plug it into port 5 for retracts.
One thing I always do is make sure the kill switch is on the side and make it so pulled back kills the engine. That way my holder can just give it a slap toward him in case the engine is chewing off some of my favorite parts. If that happens I would have charge of the radio and not be thinking about hitting a switch.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:32 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I don't have either way to kill the engine on my new gasser. On its second flight ( brand new awesome looking 30cc Sbach) the throttle servo died mid air at half throttle.
Believe me those were the longest 30 mins of my life waiting to run out of gas[:'(].
It finally died when it was dry. The sucker that build the ARF didn't realize( neither did I) thar the servo arm was contacting the fuel tank when at WOT, so the strain in the servo blew it. 
I moved the servo to the left and now is all good but I'm installing some way to kill the engine remotely. 
Lesson learned, the hard way
Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

I don't have either way to kill the engine on my new gasser. On its second flight ( brand new awesome looking 30cc Sbach) the throttle servo died mid air at half throttle.
Believe me those were the longest 30 mins of my life waiting to run out of gas
Here's one for you...

I was out at our field one day, and another member took up one of the large Telemasters with a weed wacker conversion motor.

The plane was way overpowered, and had a huge gas tank.

About 5 minutes into the flight the pilot starts cursing. When I asked what was wrong, he said he lost the throttle control. His plane was flying at about 40-50% throttle.

There was no remote choke or throttle kill.

He told me he would just wait until it ran out of gas.

30 minutes later he calls me over to tell me that he's getting tired, and could I relieve him for a while.

30 minutes after that I'm still flying, when he comes over to take the controls again.

The plane clocked 1 hour and 47 minutes in the air before running out of fuel.

He brought it down in a perfect deadstick landing.

We still laugh about his "long flight times".

Old 09-19-2012, 10:26 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yeap, been there done that, on a flight line at a packed event, flying in circles waiting for my Yak to run out of gas so I could land due to a screw working out on the carb arm.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:27 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

[X(], I'm not complaining about 30 mins then.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use smaller tanks in my planes now too. There are several ways to install some sort of kill switch though. The one time I would have liked one on board is the plane I didn't bother installing one in. With decades of flying this was the first time I would have liked to have one. Either that or a chair!!. Gassers tend to get great mileage and we all tend to use bigger tanks in them? From then on I have a redundant type of kill on my gas powered planes. The optic type seems the easiest one to use but they can go bad on you without warning. For the price I will be using them but the old servo and micro switch is still a good way to go.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:58 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one of those ? that have no right answer and more opinions than a church committee. I tried them all and Ijust like the kill switch, easy to hook up and all I have to do is hit the switch on the radio to kill it. If you lose radio contact then it kills the engine also. Waiting to run out of gas could prove fatal if your receiver battery gives out. Proper radio setup is still essential, failsafe programed in to kill engine also. In the end you go with what makes you feel comfortable and makes sense. This one costs $20 and has a light to let you know your ignition is on. http://milehighrc.com/switch.html
Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM
jetmech05

Anytime you use a kill switch that is activated from a servo...it's just not as good as an optic kill....why because in the unlikely event you loose power to the system you can't kill the engine....not with the choke or anyother means....with the optic kill the engine dies right now.....sure you're probably going to re kit the airplane .....but you'll hit the ground with the engine off
Old 09-19-2012, 04:48 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The advantage of the kill switch is that it takes seconds to install. The cost is relly low (I remember getting 2 for like $50.00). If you go the servo route, plus a switch, plus tha cable, and the wiring, well, all that stuff is not free. 2 years + w/o problems.

As somebody mentioned earlier, if you loose all your RX - servos power, w/a kill switch the power plant will stop, and you might see where the model will the the ground. With the servo-micro switch thingy, it could land out of state, on a populated area, etc. Not safe, I think.

Gerry

Old 09-19-2012, 06:22 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How in the world did we survive with glo. Come on guy's, no way is the best on this one. It's each to his own. And for the all servo's loss of power, I have never seen an airplane that did not nose over or roll over and head straight for the ground with loss of control. Including one or two of my own.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:27 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The KISS rule applies.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Mk23socom

How in the world did we survive with glo. Come on guy's, no way is the best on this one. It's each to his own. And for the all servo's loss of power,I have never seen an airplane that did not nose over or roll over and head straight for the ground with loss of control. Including one or two of my own.
+1

Old 09-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Mikecam

Roll over and head straight for the pits (ground) is what I witnessed and having the motor dead instead of at 1/2 or 2/3 or full power would not have been as safe.

How many 100cc glow engines do you see out there.

If I went through 3 of anything I think I would question my set up and what I was doing wrong!!!!

I have probably 400 to 500 trouble free flights on RCEXL opti kill A/C and would not think of flying without one. I do not use choke servos.

I have seen throttle servo's go and the overpowered planes firewall came apart before the fuel ran out.

Running a lot of big warbirds with air retracts the $20 opti kill has saved some $100 props by being able to cut the engine before belly landing, no air = no fun.

To each there own but I use opti kills.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:03 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How in the world did we survive with glo. Come on guy's, no way is the best on this one. It's each to his own. And for the all servo's loss of power, I have never seen an airplane that did not nose over or roll over and head straight for the ground with loss of control. Including one or two of my own.
I had one model fly away (found and returned 2 weeks later). It landed by itself close to I-95, and a guy picked it up and put it in his van. The following week he took off the wing, saw the sticker with name, and called me. In our field we had 2 "fly away cases" (besides mine) that I know of.

I guess it has to do with the attitude of the model when the power goes out. A trainer will most likely fly away while a 3-d pilot will see the model desintegrate close up:-)

Gerry
Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 AM
crooked stripe

I for now am running GP ignition switch harness. From what I have just read it scares me to think I might loose a plane and shutter to think I might hurt someone by me being lazy or cheap. Thanks again for all the great information. John
p.s. one quike question, do you all receive a seperate e-mail for every responce that is posted? Most other sites you get 1 e-mail till you revisit the forum.  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.