Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Noob needs some help lol

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Noob needs some help lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Corsojr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob needs some help lol

Well I am new to rc airplanes, been driving cars and trucks for a long time and wanted to learn to fly so I bought a Super Cub and a spectrum Dx6i radio to go with it. The problem I am having is when I have the plane on the ground and check the rudders and flap control it seems to go back to the nuetral position when I hold them in one direction for about 2 or 3 seconds. Does anyone know why it is doing this? I didn't know if there is a control on the radio or if the ACT causes this. I believe it even does it while the plane is in the air because it seems that when I would try and gain altitude it would for a second and then would quit. Same with the turning. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:44 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Noob needs some help lol

So, this has the ACT operating? First thing I would suggest is that you turn the ACT off. Then try again.

This is not an LOL matter. This is serious because it could very well cause a crash.

Hobbico has the Nextstar with AFS.. pretty much the same thing. I trained with the Nexstar and we quickly learned to disconnect the AFS sensor and operate it without it.
This may be the same case with your Super Cub.

CGr.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Corsojr

Yes I believe the ACT is on. I thought I may have had something to do with it but was not sure. I will turn it off and take it out again tomorrow. Thanks for the advise!!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:36 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

For future reference, never ever ever take a plane up unless you are 100% sure everything is working right. I remember the itch to get in the air as a newbie too, but it's not worth it. I'd say call tech support and ask about it. It may well be part of the ACT device's programming to save you from making bad pilot errors, but you need to know that for sure. If it turns out to be a defect in the system, it's likely to get worse rather than get better.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Corsojr

Well I was messing around with he plane last night and held it at different angles and it kept doing that and would actuall cut off until I released the control. So I disconnected the ACT sensors and tested again and had no issues. When I took it out to fly today the plane did what I told it to and had no issues with control besides pilot error. Had a blast with it today! Thanks for the help!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I've never used the ACT system, and it sounds like I never will. These new auto pilot things are in response to the market's demand for a fool-proof plane than you could give an 8 year old and he wouldn't crash it. All they really do is delay learning for those who actually want to fly their planes and add to the cost of beginner arf's.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:19 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used ACT and they work fine IF you read the directions and understand what ACT does.

Your delayed servo issue probably has nothing to do with ACT. More likely it is a problem with the linkage from servo to surface. Something is causing the connecting rod to get stuck.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Corsojr

Well I read the whole manual that came with the plane and watched the DVD.There is absoutely no binding of the servo linkage. I did disconnect the ACT sensors and the plane flys great now. I don't exactly know what was causing it to do it before but I has stopped now and have been flying everyday with no issues. Thanks for the feedback