Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Second plane after Champ?

Hello everyone. I have had the Hobbyzone Champ for about 9 months now and I have had a blast with it. Ifly it in my front yard. I have about 1 acre to fly it in and I do have some trees that Ihave to dodge so I usually fly it low beneath the trees. My question is, I have crashed it a couple of times so the propeller is bent and doesnt fly right anymore. I am going to fix this and make sure it flys steady again. My question is, what is a good secondplane, that Icould possible still use the Champ's 2.4ghz radio, that I could buy that will be afffordable and fun to fly in such a place? I did upgrade to a bigger battery and a P-51 mustang motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Second plane after Champ?

Parkzone UM T-28 Trojan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Definitely the UM T-28 Trojan. Flies well, but a bit faster and quicker than the Champ. 4 channels and uses the same radio. It's a no-brainer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will this be something I can upgrade in the future? Like a bigger motor or something? I dont want to have to buy a better/faster plane everytime I want something better.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a couple of suggestions, but both will require a real Tx, probably go with a cheap DX6i, you will need one soon unless you only ever intend to fly Horizon Hobby Ultra Micro's;

The safest option and bigger than the standard UM's is the Eflite Carbon Cub with the 3 axis gyro. a good size, super stable and flies real nice. Can handle a little wind, whereas the T-28 Um can not handle any wind, and also you will get bored fast with the T-28. The Carbon Cub will keep you interested and can do all the basic aerobatics

The more adventurous option is the Parkzone Wildcat, a bigger plane (960mm wingspan) than can handle wind, is super stable with no bad tendancies, itcan be flown slow or fast, it is responsive. It will fly perfectly out of the box, hand launch is super easy, belly land just as easy. This would be my strong recommendation.

All the best
    I permanently need just one more Plane.....I think's it's a mild obsession!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for the opinions, Flying Fiz, remember that I fly my plane in my front yard below tree tops. Is this going to be a problem with a bigger plane? I am really not wanting to spend more than $130 on a plane simply because its not an everday thing. I might fly it once a week or something. It is just an interest I have and years to come upgrade to better stuff. I want something that I will have fun with flying in a condensed space, but not be limited if I decide to take it elsewhere. I just dont want to get something bigger and not be able to fly it that well since I dont have an open field.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Will the UM T-28 Trojan be able to hold a keychain camera? I have seen many videos of Champs holding them, but you can definitely tell a difference when I put a keychain camera on my Champ.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I doubt that the UM T-28 can handle a camera but who knows. I know that the Champ can. The Carbon Cub probably can too. The Carbon Cub is also $170.00 so that might be a little out of your price range.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well im ordering the UM T-28 Trojan, I have done a lot of research and its perfect for me and since I dont do it often, the price is great. Later on I might get the full sized T-28 with a DX6I. Thank you everyone for your opinions