Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting back into the hobby

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting back into the hobby

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 PM
turbodave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into the hobby

I'm starting to get the urge to take up the hobby again after 12 odd years. I've still got my plane (Super Sporster 40) and gear but I think this plane will be a bit advanced for my very rusty skills. So I am after some recommendations of a 40 size glow plane I can use to get my confidence and skills back but that I wont grow out of too quickly as I hope to pick it up fairly quickly again. I will be getting myself a simulator to practice a bit without the risk. I am also happy to build from a kit too.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-25-2012, 01:47 AM
the_madgenius

Default RE: Getting back into the hobby

turbodave, a Worldstar 40 is just the thing to get you into it again. Docile at low rates and a real adrenilin rush at high rates. Also get to a club and spend a day with an instructor and you will be surprised just how much you haven't forgotton
Bill from Queensland
Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Super Sportsters aren't that demanding. I'd say work on the sim for a bit and maybe spend your money on a new radio (you'd be amazed at how much they've improved in 12 years) then get out and fly it. You might consider setting up a lower rate than you used to fly with depending on how hot you liked to run the Super Sportster back in the day.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:00 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flying is like riding a bicycle, you never forget how. And that's a fact. So get out there and fly.

Frank
Old 09-25-2012, 04:57 PM
koastrc

Easy Sport, knock off Falcon 56. Flies and looks good and will do some fun things.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 PM
adamle

Turbodave. I had a similar time away from the hobby. My old plane was a 4 star 40. I thought "should I relearn everything and buy a trainer?". I talked with the local club president and he told me to come out to he field and fly the club trainer a few times to see how rusty I really was. It took about two flights. It would have been a waste for me to buy to buy a trainer.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Stick 40

They are right, its like riding a bike.

I was gone for 15 years, and came back. I flew for at a indoor event and within 3 weeks of out door. I was teaching flying again.

good luck, I like your idea of coming back slow. do what your are comfortable with enjoy.

sticks