Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Stick plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Stick plane

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 05:35 PM
gphil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stick plane

A while back I was asking some questions about a Stick (drastic) that I had purchased and a member sent a post of his that had a cowl , gas engine and a pilot on top. This may be the wrong place but my memory escapes me. Anyway, wanted to ask some questions about the cowl , and where he placed the ignition and eng acessories in the plane etc. Thanks for the time and space here. gphil
Old 09-29-2012, 07:31 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Stick plane

why dont you post pics of yours here? surely some people will help out in answering some questions
Old 09-30-2012, 04:00 AM
gphil

I would but real early in the build. This fella had a neat looking Stick, round cowling he made with bubble cheeks on and a little windscrean with a pilot and a gun mounted on top. If I remember right, had antique looking wheels too. I really liked it. For an all around question I need to go to the other place. I plan on a DLE 20 and I know it has additonal things like ignition another battery etc and was wondering if that was put up front of the tank or somewhere else with the balance in mind. Thanks fellas. This is my first RC build. gphil
Old 09-30-2012, 04:19 AM
mike109

G'day

If you do a Google search for "Original Das Ugly Stick" you will find the plans of Phil Kraft's original version of the Stick. The story is worth reading. And the plane is worth building too.

The original Das Ugly Stick had a round cowl, a pilot sitting on top of the wing and his machine gun. It is very loosely based on the German WWI Fokker Eindeker of about 1915.

The original was for a 40 size engine and is about 60 inches wingspan but there is nothing to stop you scaling the plan up to suit your larger engine choice.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

Old 09-30-2012, 05:49 AM
gphil

Thanks a lot Mike I will give that a view and I bet its the one.   gphil
Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 AM
carrellh

You will probably have to decide on a cowl diameter by measuring the engine and making paper cowls until you decide what looks best. A cowl source is http://fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com and they have a ‘radial cowl’ section with a bunch of different sizes.

Williams brothers is one source for the gun http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=QHF
and here are some pilots http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=QHA