Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Collapsed wing rib.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Collapsed wing rib.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:03 AM
OkadaKeisuke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collapsed wing rib.

Hello,
I have an electric 34" Sopwith Camel that is on the older side.
Recently I was reinstalling an aileron servo after robbing it for the use in another plane. As I was feeding the servo wire extension through the wing, I heard a crack. The center most wing rib collapsed. I was wondering what the dangers, if any, are if I attempt to fly this bird with one wing rib out of commission. The covering is pretty tight and it doesn't seem noticeable, but I would rather not tear the covering apart to access the damaged area for repair if there may still be a chance it will fly without issue. Personally I think it would be a ok to fly, but I would like some other opinions.

~Noah
Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: Collapsed wing rib.

Well It depends on where in the wing the rib is..and what kind of load it is subject to...I wouldn't fly it ...as I fly in a club and rarly fly alone...
This is not hard to fix...cut open the bottom of the wing remove the covering over the rib...glue the rib back together as best you can...cut a doubler which is just a piece of wood the same kind as the rib and glue that over the repair....re attach a new piece of covering
Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM
OkadaKeisuke

Thanks Jetmech.
I ended up coming to my senses and doing just as you described. It always takes me some time to come to my senses. The rib split horizontaly infront of the center spar(?). The section, of rib, behind the spar remained intact.The repair was easy and did the trick. I had to add a doubler on each side of the pass throug hole, in the rib, as to not block passage for the servo wire. It may not be cosmetecally pleasing, but atleast it's structurally sound. Function over form, right?
Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM
OkadaKeisuke

By the way,

What s the best way to feed a servo wire through wing ribs. This was an ARF and didn't have a servo tube. I tied the servo wire to a fishing line and pulled it through to the aileron hatch. But, The J-connector kept catching in the ribs. What could I do to make the job easier and safer for the plane?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:01 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: OkadaKeisuke

By the way,

What s the best way to feed a servo wire through wing ribs. This was an ARF and didn't have a servo tube. I tied the servo wire to a fishing line and pulled it through to the aileron hatch. But, The J-connector kept catching in the ribs. What could I do to make the job easier and safer for the plane?

Here is what I have done over the years and works well.

Instead of string or fishing line I use a fairly stiff but bendable wire such as commonly called stove pipe wire. This wire is stiff enough that you can guide it in and pre bending as you feed from the wing root access hole(s) to the servo bay.

The problem in pulling the plug back through from the servo bay is attaching the string or fish line to the plug by tieing. No matter what you do it will bend sideways at every rib you bump into.

The solution is using the the stiffer wire, not string lineing up the end of the protruding wire straight alongside the plug then attaching only with shrink wrap. This will keep the plug perfectly aligned for the smallest holes as you pull then simply cut the shrink wrap away after pulling.

Every airplane does not of course need this of course. Some will almost fall through but for the occassional persnickety one this usually gets the job done easily.

John
Old 09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
ratshooter

For fishing wires through the wing I have a long piece of ceiling fan pull chain. Just drop the end in the hole and it will fall through the holes in the ribs. You can buy the chain at the home improvement stores in the lighting dept. They use to have it on large spools.

I tape the servo plug to the chain with masking tape and shape the tape to a point to help it through the holes. I like the plastic wrap idea. I gotta try that one.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:51 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I LIKE THIS ONE....HAVE TRIED LOTS OF OTHER METHODS BUT I MUST GIVE THIS ONE A TRY.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:04 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I use a wire but I just put a narrow hook in the end of it to pull the wire through. When it hits an obstacle, the plug does turn but since I'm pulling on the middle of the wire it just comes through backwards.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 AM
Live Wire

Put a male leed on what ever you are useing to go through the wing, plung it in and pull it through works great fo me.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41248.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	1806879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27043.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1806880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83781.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1806881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88145.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1806882  
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM
jetmech05

I use tape and string but I form the tape to a point to pass through ribs.....