Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Film Coverings

Hi all. Can anyone give me a brief primer on the different kinds of coverings that are applied to large airplanes? I have some experience with Monokote, but what are the alternatives, especially those that can be applied at low temperatures?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Film Coverings

Ultrakote, Solartex or any of the TEX. The TEX covering is fabric and I use it often for scale planes where plastic looks wrong. Ultra goes on at a much lower temp then Mono and shrinks a lot better. I have even used it on foam wings without problems.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is also Econokote which is a low temperature polyester film. It's not as thick as Monokote.

Then there is Coverite which is also a fabric that is ironed on and heat shrunk. It can be painted easily and looks like silk.

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LARGE planes?

Silk and dope, or dacron and dope.
    Local fabric stores carry the cloth if you can't find a better price off the internet.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Coverite makes a film as well as a fabric. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who uses it. Goes on well (somewhat like Ultracote).
    Al Gunn
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood No. 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day

One that has not been specifically mentioned is Sig Koverall. It is a cloth that you attach with dope or a heat sensitive adhesive like Sig's Stixit or Solafilm's Balsaloc. It is then shrunk with your iron (carefully - it can really cause warps if you go mad with the iron) doped to seal it and then painted or doped. I am building (it has been five years now) a Sig Clipped Wing Cub and it is covered in Koverall. The trick is to seal the weave with thinned dope without adding too much weight. And then add a light paint job. Koverall its self is quite light but it is easy to go mad with the paint and build a lead sled.

I generally use Solafilm's Solatex as mentioned above by Grey Beard. It is wonderful to use, does not need a lot of heat and can be stretched round quite complicated curves. It is about 50% heavier then film. I built a foam Me-163 and tried to cover it in adhesive tape as suggested by the kit manufacturer but I could not get it to go round the curves. Solatex was a breeze. It also lasts well. My old Kadet Senior is now about 8 years old and the covering it holding up really well. It also takes paint well too but you don't need to paint it.

I have just built a Stick to the original plan. I had also built a Sig Four Star 120 for a friend and I covered it in Cub Yellow Solatex. There was quite a bit left over so I covered the stick with it. Looks good and thanks to slightly more weight than the other Stick I have (Great Planes Big Stick 40) it flies really well in the wind with an Enya 53 with a 11 x 7 Graupner prop.

Oh yes, Koverall is quite cheap but Solatex is quite expensive. Well worth it though for a nice model.

Mike in Oz

\"I just had no control. Must be the radio.\" Club Saito #597 Kadet Brotherhood #66

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Number three plane in line for my building board is a golden age racer at 1/3 scale, I call it a big little plane, It cries out for Solartex, nothing else will do. The Solartex looks like the original fabric covering and goes on so easily it makes everyone look like they know how to cover. The problem is the price though. My wife looked at the plans and said to me, You Better Start Saving for the covering NOW!!! There are other ways to cover the plane but I have never found anything as nice and easy as TEX.
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ohoh GB, you made a big mistake with your wife. You gave her an idea of what this stuff costs. oops.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374