Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Film Coverings

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Film Coverings

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 AM
TiptoTail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Film Coverings

Hi all. Can anyone give me a brief primer on the different kinds of coverings that are applied to large airplanes? I have some experience with Monokote, but what are the alternatives, especially those that can be applied at low temperatures?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Film Coverings

Ultrakote, Solartex or any of the TEX. The TEX covering is fabric and I use it often for scale planes where plastic looks wrong. Ultra goes on at a much lower temp then Mono and shrinks a lot better. I have even used it on foam wings without problems.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also Econokote which is a low temperature polyester film. It's not as thick as Monokote.

Then there is Coverite which is also a fabric that is ironed on and heat shrunk. It can be painted easily and looks like silk.

Frank
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

LARGE planes?

Silk and dope, or dacron and dope.
Local fabric stores carry the cloth if you can't find a better price off the internet.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Coverite makes a film as well as a fabric. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who uses it. Goes on well (somewhat like Ultracote).
Old 10-04-2012, 04:19 AM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day

One that has not been specifically mentioned is Sig Koverall. It is a cloth that you attach with dope or a heat sensitive adhesive like Sig's Stixit or Solafilm's Balsaloc. It is then shrunk with your iron (carefully - it can really cause warps if you go mad with the iron) doped to seal it and then painted or doped. I am building (it has been five years now) a Sig Clipped Wing Cub and it is covered in Koverall. The trick is to seal the weave with thinned dope without adding too much weight. And then add a light paint job. Koverall its self is quite light but it is easy to go mad with the paint and build a lead sled.

I generally use Solafilm's Solatex as mentioned above by Grey Beard. It is wonderful to use, does not need a lot of heat and can be stretched round quite complicated curves. It is about 50% heavier then film. I built a foam Me-163 and tried to cover it in adhesive tape as suggested by the kit manufacturer but I could not get it to go round the curves. Solatex was a breeze. It also lasts well. My old Kadet Senior is now about 8 years old and the covering it holding up really well. It also takes paint well too but you don't need to paint it.

I have just built a Stick to the original plan. I had also built a Sig Four Star 120 for a friend and I covered it in Cub Yellow Solatex. There was quite a bit left over so I covered the stick with it. Looks good and thanks to slightly more weight than the other Stick I have (Great Planes Big Stick 40) it flies really well in the wind with an Enya 53 with a 11 x 7 Graupner prop.

Oh yes, Koverall is quite cheap but Solatex is quite expensive. Well worth it though for a nice model.

Mike in Oz

Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Number three plane in line for my building board is a golden age racer at 1/3 scale, I call it a big little plane, It cries out for Solartex, nothing else will do. The Solartex looks like the original fabric covering and goes on so easily it makes everyone look like they know how to cover. The problem is the price though. My wife looked at the plans and said to me, You Better Start Saving for the covering NOW!!! There are other ways to cover the plane but I have never found anything as nice and easy as TEX.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

ohoh GB, you made a big mistake with your wife. You gave her an idea of what this stuff costs. oops.