Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sig 4*20EP Build

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sig 4*20EP Build

Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 PM
pigcop2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig 4*20EP Build

Hi everyone. This may not be the best place for this, but I figuered I'm a beginner and would have some questions as I go.

Not relly doing a detailed build log here. Just thought I'd get a thread started to post some pics and have a place to ask questions as they arise.

This is actually my second kit. I have a Great Planes Electricub started. But after talking with guys at the flying field, they felt that wouldn't be a great candidate for my second plane. They recomended a Sig 4*. So this is what I have.

I've started the build and about 3 days into it. Not sure how many hours so far. But not many. Compared to the Cub, this plane is going together like a dream. The parts are great and they actually fit the plans. I"ve had no issues so far. I have the elevator and stabilizer completed and both wing halves very close to being able to join. I"m holding off on joining them until last minute. Just easier for me to have 2 small wings sitting rather than one large one.

Here is what I have to get it in the air.

Motor: Rimfire .10 350W 1250kv
ESC: Silver Series 45A
Battery: Lipo 3S 11.1V 3200mAh 25C (Not sure I can make this battery fit. May have to go a bit smaller)
Prop: 10-6
Servo: 4 Hitec HS-81

That about it for now. Hope to get it in the air before the snow flies.

Here are the pics so far.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87095.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1808384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70890.jpg
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1808385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29147.jpg
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1808386  
Old 10-06-2012, 03:08 PM
pigcop2

Default RE: Sig 4*20EP Build

<hr size="1" style="background-color: #c5ccd3; color: #c5ccd3" />
Got a little more done. I was able to get all the laminating of the fuselage parts done. Unfortunately have to give up for the weekend.

Still going smooth.

Name:	Wu61856.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1808450  
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be watching with interest. I was looking at the same kit for a .32 nitro engine I have.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

sure looks good so far
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The 4* is a great flying plane, but as a first plane, I would be hesitant to fly it unless you are on a buddy box.  They do take off and land like the Kadet, but they can also fly circles around the Kadet.   I have a 4*120 on the table as well that I am building.  Looks like you got a good plan too, the foam board works great, used the same setup when I built my P-51.  

A tip to take right now, put more glue on those sheer webs, looks like you only have parts glued with Aliphatic, you will want 100% gluing on those, front and back.  Also, you may want to use some fiberglass tape and CA when it comes time to put the wire joiner on your elevators, as it will work loose over time and give you slop.  You would just need a strip to cover it and lap it around each side of the elevator and then glue it down good.  
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
pigcop2

Acdii,

Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to go back and fill in the gaps with glue. I was thinking Ishould do that after reading your thread in the crash/rebuilld section. Glad to hear Sig took care of you btw. I'll be watching your new build to get some pointers on mine as I'm sure they are built simular.

As for my first plane, this is my second build. Well, kind of. I have another kit started and put on hold. This is actually my second plane. I have a foam supercub that I've been flying all summer. And I'm part of a club. They recommended the 4* for a second plane. They told me they would buddy box with me if needed.

Thanks for the wing imput. I'm working on the fuselage now. I'll post pics when I can. Looking forward to your imput.

John
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the 4* 60 to teach building but this is the first little 20 I have seen go together. I do tell some students about the 4* as a second plane choice, depends on how well the student flys the trainer. Some of my younger students were fantastic pilots and the 4* would have been too easy for them, others the 4* is the perfect plane. It's hard to find an easier plane to fly that will still stunt, the 4* is one of them. Thanks for doing a build thread on the 20, I may build one for one of my grandsons if yours flys well.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 AM
pigcop2

Well, got a bit more done in the last couple of days. Havent had too much time to work on it. But its progressing pretty well. I've made a few rookie mistakes I think. I mis understood the directions and glued the fuselage doubler in a bit too low. Nothing seems unfixable without sanding though.

Other than that, I have the battery tray in. I chose to build it to plan as opposed to cutting hatch in the top as I've seen in some builds. I just didn't feel comfortable doing that at this stage of my experience. Speaking of the battery, It appears that my big 3200mAh battery will fit in the designed bay. Just not sure if its going to be too heavy though. It feels like a ton. I was thinking of putting a former in the middle of the plane to act as a stop for the battery, as I was thinking of trying to put it as far back towards the CG as possible. The current set up doesn't seem like its very secure to me.

So as of date, I have the tail feathers all completed minus shaping and hinging, wings pretty much done, and fuselage very close to being completed. I have to say, while I don't have much experience in building, this kit is by far better than the GP Electrocub as far as parts fitting. This appears to be a very good kit for a first build. Hopefully its the perfect second airplane to fly.

Some more pics.

Name:	Rp42344.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1809922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59168.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1809923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39618.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1809924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55602.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1809925  
Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Before I hard mount anything in a build I finish the plane, install the servos, controls and engine/motor. Everything that has a place it must go. Then while still in the bones I set the plane on the CG machine and use tape to hold the parts like your battery in different places to get the planes CG. Then once I get that I hard mount the parts inside the plane then cover it. Most of my builds are ready to fly while still in the bones. I have even set up the controls in several of them. I do this before covering so I can get my fingers into those tight places and changes can be made.
Just something to think about at this point. If the servos and controls aren't in the way I leave them in while covering. Once CGed there is no reason to remove them.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM
pigcop2

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Before I hard mount anything in a build I finish the plane, install the servos, controls and engine/motor. Everything that has a place it must go. Then while still in the bones I set the plane on the CG machine and use tape to hold the parts like your battery in different places to get the planes CG. Then once I get that I hard mount the parts inside the plane then cover it. Most of my builds are ready to fly while still in the bones. I have even set up the controls in several of them. I do this before covering so I can get my fingers into those tight places and changes can be made.
Just something to think about at this point. If the servos and controls aren't in the way I leave them in while covering. Once CGed there is no reason to remove them.

Good call. That makes a lot of sense. Thats why Istarted this thread.

Thanks
John
Old 10-11-2012, 02:36 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just remember to keep it 3 mistakes high while you are terrorizing it. When you first start flying it, you will be awed by the fact that you built it and it flys. Then, the fact it flies well. Once you start getting comfortable with it, you will start doing things with it you probably never dreamed of doing. Or dreamed of but didn't think you would ever. You may not quite understand what I wrote, but you will about the 3rd or 4th time up. With a smile.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 AM
pigcop2

Haha. Yes I know what you are saying Bingo. I have no doubt I'll be a mess when I first take it up. Im new to my club, but pretty certain that I'll be able to have a buddy box with me. But I'm hoping that your scenario is the case. IE Flies very well. Keep my fingers crossed.

Its getting closer. Will start to button up the loose ends and hope to start covering by the start of the week.

Thanks for the advise.
John
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 AM
acdii

What are you going to cover it with and what motor will you be using?  I saw one of these kits at my LHS.  The pack you refer to, does it look something like this? http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-3300-3s1p.html
Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 AM
pigcop2

I plan on chrome monokote with some red trim to help with orientation. As for the battery, its an electrifly 3200mAh. It fits in the plane, but weighs in at 9oz. Calculations say it'll give me 7min at wot. But I think I will go with a smaller battery. A 2200mAh will save me about 3oz, but drop the flite time to 5min at wot. I think the trade off may be worth it?

John
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I wouldn't be too concerned about your weight. A .25 glow setup (engine, fuel load, tank, tx pack) weighs in at around 26oz. Your setup weighs around 13oz with a 3200 3s battery. You might have to play with battery location to get the plane to balance. I would rather have the longer flight time.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 AM
pigcop2

Well, my timeline wasnt quite what I had hoped for.  Still havent started covering, as I havent been able to work as much as I would like.  I figured that I should probably do yard work and this other thing called work has gotten in the way.  And Im trying to close on some property. 

But Ive been slowly pushing on and have the wing 99% done, as is the fuselage.  Tail surfaces are ready for covering. 

I have some questions as far as radio/ motor set up.  My plans do not show where the ESC goes.  Any suggestions for this?  I know it should go somewhere that it will get some airflow to stay cool.  But other than that, no idea. 

I plan on putting the reciever as far back as possible, depending on the CG.  Any suggestions on mounting that?

Also what are the opinions on cutting hinges?  I mean, my plans show that they should be cut after shaping the surface and covering, while the plans for my Cub say that they should be cut before shaping and covering.  Opinions?  I cut mine before shaping and covering.  Seemed to me that it would be easier that way.  Only thing I can see being a problem is locating the slots after covering. 

Thats about it for now. 

John
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: pigcop2

Well, my timeline wasnt quite what I had hoped for. Still havent started covering, as I havent been able to work as much as I would like. I figured that I should probably do yard work and this other thing called work has gotten in the way. And Im trying to close on some property.

But Ive been slowly pushing on and have the wing 99% done, as is the fuselage. Tail surfaces are ready for covering.

I have some questions as far as radio/ motor set up. My plans do not show where the ESC goes. Any suggestions for this? I know it should go somewhere that it will get some airflow to stay cool. But other than that, no idea.

I plan on putting the reciever as far back as possible, depending on the CG. Any suggestions on mounting that?

Also what are the opinions on cutting hinges? I mean, my plans show that they should be cut after shaping the surface and covering, while the plans for my Cub say that they should be cut before shaping and covering. Opinions? I cut mine before shaping and covering. Seemed to me that it would be easier that way. Only thing I can see being a problem is locating the slots after covering.

Thats about it for now.

John
I think you answered your own question.
Do you have any mock-up pictures?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:08 PM
pigcop2

I think you answered your own question.

Thanks Stang, I thought I had, but was just looking for confimation I guess. Still second guessing a lot.

I did get some pics today. And got an approximate weight so far. Looks like Im going to come in right at 32oz without covering. Thats with the big 3200mAh battery. Just have a few more things to do and try to get everything mounted properly.

Too bad I basicly lost a week to other stuff. The weather has been awesome here for late Oct.

Getting close.

Stang, I take it you have a 67? I just got my 72 Mach on the road last year.

Name:	Wt59361.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1814772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52824.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1814773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40651.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1814774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52949.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1814775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57684.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1814776  
Old 10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
GaryHarris

Looking good John. Ill have to get one.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Mr67Stang

Stang, I take it you have a 67? I just got my 72 Mach on the road last year.
I have a 67 coupe that I bought 22 years ago for $1100 with a 289/3 spd manual. Right now it is completely disassembled and stripped to bare metal in my shop with a 351w, 4 spd top loader and 9 in rear (3.89:1). I just bought a bunch of "go-fast" parts from Summit last month. When I get home from this deployment in a couple of weeks, I will be replacing the entire top end of the engine (351w).

Somewhere in there I intend to get one of these 4 Star 20's and do a little building as well. I have a JEN .37 nitro engine I want to see how fast the 4 star can go
Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 AM
pigcop2

Right now it is completely disassembled and stripped to bare metal in my shop with a 351w, 4 spd top loader and 9 in rear (3.89:1). I just bought a bunch of "go-fast" parts from Summit last month.

Ahhh yes. I remember that. I should have bought stock in Summit and National Parts Depot I spent so much money there. But its so much fun to tinker with. Its amazing that almost everything on those cars were held on by four bolts it seems like. Doesn't matter of the size of the part. lol. That'll run nicely with that Windsor. I have a Cleveland in mine. Not built up too much, just enough that I can have fun with it and still be able to pass at least one gas station.

As for the plane, I'm getting around to mount the motor. This is my set up. I plan on epoxying the spacer to the firewall and the standoffs into the spacer. Here are a couple of pics. Anybody see any issues with this?

Thanks
John

Name:	Vs55482.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1815296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50050.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1815297  
Old 10-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Mr67Stang

Anybody see any issues with this?

Thanks
John
The "Flux Capacitor" apears to be wired backwards but other than that; no.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 AM
Mr67Stang

I just ordered one of these kits. I am looking forward to seeing yours completed.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:10 AM
acdii

Check out Powerblock. They had two episodes where they built up a Cleveland and a Windsor. They pulled some serious power out of the Windsor.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 PM
bobsrc

Just a tip on using chrome moneykote.  I did a DeBolt P-39 with that about 40 years ago because it looked so neat on the ground.  However, once in the air I figured out why the USAF quit camoflage painting our airplanes towards the end of WWII.  It would reflect back anything it was around and just disappear for seconds at a time while in the air.  I have not used it since except for flash trim. 
BobsRC

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.