Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: what is it?

First flyin day yesterday at Black Starr Bob Swenson and it was spectacular... blue skies... warm (not hot)... very appropriate to try our the hangar of planes...

First up, the Sukhoi, assembled it which takes 15 minutes, check control surfaces, and walk to engine start area. motor's running in a few attempts... call out "coming out"... idle up, aim, throttle up to 1/2, smooth transition, and the motor cuts out... landed at the end of the runway.. whoa... hearts going like a freight train... walk it back to the pits... I decide not to fuzt with it there... Sukhoi is done for the day...

Next up... Sig 90... assembled (with new exhaust extension), walk to flight line, start it up... taxi, throttle up, smooth transition, 2 ovals past the dead line... engine sputters on the downwind leg, retracts out 4 feet off the deck, smooth high speed landing...

Next up... Sonic (with the 50 4s)... taxi, transition, motor cuts on downwind leg while trimming... landed in the bushes... not 1 iota of damage... holy smokes... long walk though...

Everyone thought the Great Planes micro F86 Saber was cute... impressed with flight characteristics... bouncy landing since it was a little breezy...

4 90 sized gas and nitro warbirds went up... 2 P51's, a P 47, and a P40 went up so I pulled out the ParkZone FW 180 electric and chased them around for a bit... 5 warbirds at the same time... wow... complete only when I made little machine gun sounds straffing the pitot area and made everyone laugh.

I had a great day!

I think the DLE was having trouble as i noticed the spark plug was only finger tight... how hard should i crank it down?

The Tactic TX may not have the range for a large field like this. It made the eletrics were problematic... I'd lose control briefly.. time to buy some micro RX's i guess...

pics next time i'm out there... thanks all
    President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, warbird brotherhood
    Member of the Scale Squadron of Southern California
    Member of the One Eighth Air Force - Arizona
    Spitfire Brotherhood - Member #202
    P-47 Brotherhood - Member #105
    3rd place - ProAm Sportsman - U.S. Scale Masters 2014 GunSmoke Qualifier
    Warbirds over the Rockies 2014 - Best ARF Bash
    Frank Migliaccio
    949-636-5666

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

flew on sunday... flew on Tuesday.. and I flew again yesterday...

The Sukhoi with the DLE 20 is underpowered... I'm going to look for a DLE 30 for it... The Sig 90 flew but I've got to figure out the needles... it's termpermental... stalled on downwind trim pass... landed it and couldn't get the motor right... it's a setting that i'm chasing...

The little sonic finally came around at 3 1/4 turns on the needle... easy to fly.. fun to land at speed ...

I broke the landing gear on my ParkZone FW190... they actally broke while lifting off the ground.. haha.. rough landing with gear dangling off linkages...

The GP F86 micro was killed at a traffic light when a tool box slid into it... now minus one wing and tail feather...

I'm on the prowl for a warbird that everyone doesn't have... I'll put the DLE 20 in it...

more to follow
    President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, warbird brotherhood
    Frank Migliaccio
    949-636-5666

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I did not see where you had posted 73" for the suki before...i went back and re-read after the last post. i just got a 73" SBach, weighs 10.25 lbs dry, so right at 11 fueled up. I am running a dle 30 and a 19/8 zoar prop ..... it has stupid power. Is quickly becoming my favorite plane. A 20 would not be enuff for your suki I have a 50cc sukhoi also, its a great flyer as well, just the 73" can stay together in my pickup, gives me a chance to go to the field for a quick flight or two without all the setup .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just to bring you up to speed...

I put a new DLE20 in the Sukhoi and flew it for two weeks before I planted it mid-runway trying to turn a deadstick upwind for a landing... the landing gear went through the fuse and broke the wing in several places... The part that broke my heart was that the motor was mounted inverted and the hit broke the sparkplug in half and wrecked the ignition wire/cap do-hickey.

I recently picked up a BH FW190 kit and assembled it this week and I put the DLE in it (new muffler = $20 and hoping the ignition still works). couldn't get it to start this weekend... still kinda broken hearted...

The Zen turned out to be a Zen 120 (not the 90 size)... It was hard to keep running but 2 weeks ago it started to fly EXTREMELY well... holy smokes... really very awesome... tracked like nothing I've every flown before... fast like you wouldn't believe... The only problem was that it wouldn't slow down.. on the third flight I heard the header come off the motor and it got bogged down.. nursed it around the pattern and came in for a final I porpoised trying to do too many things at the same time... flattened the gear and slid into a fence post... I'm gonna try to fix it... though i don't know how successful I'll be...

The Sonic keeps flying... it is super easy to fly... starts in a few seconds... the fuel tank is too small though (3 1/2 minutes from start to deadstick). I'll try to shoe horn a bigger fuel cell into it.

Since I bought these 3 1/2 weeks ago I've bought some other stuff too... I bought a foamie T28 and entered a race this weekend (lots of fun!). I bought a Demon F86 foamie ARF with a 70mm ducted fan (its a pig in the air and hard to transport!!!).

I'm learning that many of the gents at the field I fly at are just like me in that they keep buying new things and half-ass their way into the air. Some, not many, focus on making one or two models awesome and those are the ones i drool over.

at last count, I'm spending way too much on too many different planes... I've got to focus on something and make it great.
    Frank Migliaccio
    949-636-5666

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12