Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

very first airplane-where do i start?

so today i saw a garage sale and out front was a hobbico nextar brand new in box with a bunch of other accesories like a bottle of fuel and a few things to start it. the people selling it were getting rid of everything they owned basically and wanted 50 dollars for everything so i boguht it as it looked a good deal and i have seen people flying rc airplanes at the park and i really love aviation and thought it would be great hobby to do on free time so i went through with it. i got home and assembled it and it went together quickly and actually looks rather nice.i read on the internet that this is a $300+ aircraft!! i really get good deal. so after finding this out i am worried about flying it first time and what i should do to ensure a safe and succesful maiden flight. i have started the engine twice and follow instructions to get it broken in. all the control surfaces apear to work fine. i am just worried that i will fly it and crash it lol. the thing that scare me most is this airplane has much more power than i expect and if it were to hit someone with such speeds they would have very very bad day so i want to learn to fly it without any mishaps. i can get the engine started safely and taxi up and down the road but have yet to attempt take off. i want to know if i could please get some advice on where to start. i have been around cessnas and other single engine airplanes and really love flying and i have some ideas on how to fly it but i am sure flying from a 3rd person view is much much harder than it looks. i would rather be safe than sorry and i figure there are people who have years of experience in this hobby that might be able to help. if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated thank you so much

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: very first airplane-where do i start?

Wise to look for help before you fly that.

Where are you located, and is there a club nearby?

Internet advice is great, but no substitute for in-person help.

A club may even have designated instructors, who may be able to put your plane on a buddy box- allowing the instructor to instantly take control if you get the plane into trouble.

I'd also recommend joining the AMA. Membership provides liability insurance, and is generally required to fly at a club field.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ditto on JeffinTD's recommendation...

I'd check the AMA website and see where the nearest club is located. They may even list some contact info of folks of the club. If you don't have much luck there then try the local hobby shop in the area. They may know/have info about the local RC club. Also check into some RC simulators for your PC... A Google search will yield a few free ones from the Net.

You will want to take these first steps so as to make sure your experience from the start is a positive one.

send me an email if you have problems finding what you need. I might be able to help. Tschuy@comcast.net

cheers,

Tim Schuy
    tschuy@comcast.net
    AMA #77316
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool first you got a great buy. Next off, as the fellows have been telling you in a subtle way is you are correct that if you attempt to fly it without help you will crash and your investment will be lost. There is no doubt and full scale experiance actually is a deficit at first with full scale pilots generally being the more difficult students.

Get help first this is not a park flyer airplane and new flyers typically suck at selecting a suitible flying site if attempting to fly on their own. With their idea of a suitable spot being far far to small.

I am certain there is an active AMA club in your city and I will check in a moment for you.

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The ama website lists three club in your part of the world. Get involved and most important get help so you can really realize the dream

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

John

It lost the info when I cut it so just type in your zip code and it will come up

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah ok thanks for the advice. I am from Anchorage, AK but from Russian federation originally so I do no much about area and where clubs are but I found one one that websites club finder and I will call them later. I just want to make sure I don't screw anything up and crash airplane because that would not be good. thanks so much for the help everybody I will keep posted on how maiden flight goes

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Getting with the local club is the best advice anyone can give you at this point. I belive I paid $375 for the Nexstar when I first started 6-7 years ago. You got a great deal! So take that money you saved to join the club/AMA and learn properly. The nexstar I got came with a CD with a simulator on it. Use it too.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Alena 23 welcome to the wonderfull world of RC...Any full size flying experience you have will not help you in fact it will probably make it harder for you...I am a full size pilot and I can tell you from experience that it is far harder to fly rc than to fly full size...That said you got a fantastic deal and you are going about this rite with the rite attitude....I used the Nexstar for about a year when I came back into the hobby...They are a great flying trainer....If you get an instructor and join a club , you will do fine...You can set it up on skis or floats for flying from the snow if winter flying is going to slow you down...I did see that you are in Alaska didn't I ? You must be running out of good fall weather soon I would think...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Excellent Alena you are now past the first phychological hurdles and on your way, Do enjoy the adventure and keep us posted

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That was a good deal for the Nexstar and even if you need to replace something on it you are still ahead of the game.
    As already mentioned DO NOT attempt to fly this at a park or at an area where there are others nearby not knowing what you are doing. This size plane needs to be flown at a club field or in a somewhat remote area AFTER you become good at flying it.
    Take the advice , join the AMA, and find a club nearby.  I am sure someone in the club will assist you in going over the plane and properly instructing you in safely operating it and take you up with it until you get proficient at take-offs and landings on your own.
    Please don't try and do it on your own.
    Good luck and have fun !!
    Brian Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

WOW. ok i dont know where to start haha. so i went out to the feild with airplane after making arrangements with someone to help instruct me on flying this thing. today it was rather windy, about 8-12 knot max gusts or so. when i got there there were like 5-10 people all with airplanes who i could tell before getting out of car were passionate about flying rc planes more than i would have thought. i never knew there were even such things as special clubs or fields with small runways just for the purpose. anyways, at first we got the plane out and they trimmed it and tunned the engine. i had messed with it and it was running to "rich" they tell me so before i even touched it i let them take it for a short test and trim flight and it flew fine for a few passes. then the instructor landed and brought it over. then they got another remote but this one was vey fancy and had all kinds of switches and knobs and with this one they connect my remote with a cord that connect them together. this was really cool because i could take control in the air and then hand it back and forth. so i just waited for instructor to taxi and get up high before i got a few tips and he handed it over. my first few tries would have been crashes without this system. the orientation is very confusing at first! i would have it flying straight then go to adjust and it would do the total opposite of what wanted so he just flipped the switch and saved it and brought it back in front so it was easier to see. so after about 5 minutes i was able to fly in wide circles and fairly keep it under control with small corrections here and there. so i flew for about 10 minutes total the first time and then instructor took the plane and landed. so i take break and thne refuel airplane and have breakdown of what i need to work on and what was in store for next flight. so then i went out for a second flight and once the plane got up high i took controls. this time i was told to just fly "figure 8" pattern. this really helped build my reflexes and now i am confident with simple flying around and then i was told to just take it back and forth on high passes to test the airplanes abilities and reactions. then with instructor he teach me a little on landings. just low and slow fly bys and a few passses he touched the wheels. i am still hesitant on landing though as i ahve not attemptd one. i always come in to fast and by the time the wheels get low enough i am out of space so i just pull up. i did do one take off and probably get 30 minutes of flight time total. three fuel tanks went by quick lol so now i just have to practice landing and they said to hook up included simulator to laptop and practice. i never would have done it without an instructor. i am slowly building confindce with flying it and getting better. i was just worried i would take somebody out with it not being properly trained and that would not be good. it is fast and heavy could do some damage. so it is safe to say i am now addicted to this hobby lol. ive got flying bug now as they say it was very intense. i almost still have butterflies from the first flight. so hopefully tomorrow morning before work i will head out and fly again. winter is coming but as somebody said earlier you can still fly in winter. thanks so so much for your advice everyone i think i found a new hobby. one question, how do you turn on this active flight stabilizer thing that is says it has on the box. that might make it easier. i forgot to ask someone today lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Excellent!

Great to hear you found an instructor and a buddy box.

I've never tried one, but from what I've heard you may be better off without using anti-crash or virtual instructor.

I think I'd ask your flight instructor about it. Since he is the one helping you, his opinion about whether you should be using this feature is probably the one to listen to.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are better off with out the flight stabilzer. Once you've been trained well enough to fly figure 8's, take off, and land, the flight stabilizer will cause you more problems than it solves. It is designed to correct a stalled or nose down condition for a pilot who is not able to do it themselves. Once you have enough skill, especially since you have an instructor helping you, you are better off having full control of the plane yourself.
    Jerry
    AMA -922698 Nomal people scare me, but not as much as I scare them...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes all is going fine. better than i thought. so dont use the AFS? i can keep it stable and with practice i should be able to solo. i am just worried about landing:/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

, yipiiii, welcome to the addiction. You have just lost all your free time to this hobby.
    I'm glad you did it the right way...instructor+ AMA field+ buddy box= success and lots of fun.
    Be aware that nobody have one plane, pretty soon you ll be buying more and more.
    Make sure you read, there are tons of good info on this website, especially go to the first post in the Begginers Forum.
    Anyways welcome and I wish you a lot of Happy Landings
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Computer sims are a big help and will give you a little bit of an idea how the controls work. Do everything John said, an instructor will also be able to check your plane and make surre all the controls work correctly and the plane is in balance. Clubs provide a safe field to fly at. Today I was flying just outside of the Vegas strip but there arer no homes close by and the area is pretty open so we aren't hitting anything. That trainer is sure not a park flyer!
    Notice all the open space in the photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nl30733.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	1816505  
    Drinking and driving are illegal, why do bars have parking lots
    Daisy Air Guns, keeping kids off your lawn for 100 years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ditto on the flight stabilizer...Keep it OFF...It will just fight you.....You do not need it fighting you for controle of the aircraft...I dont know if you have the wing attatchments on your wings still or not...They help to stabilize the airiplane and keep it from stalling...You will find a real performance improvement when they are removed ... one set is screwed on and has holes in them..They are kind of like flaps...The other set is held on with tape and are like bulges on the leading edges of your wing...They help keep you from stalling....I would remove the ones held on with screws fairly soon and when you are comfortable flying the plane take the others off...Just be ready for a little more speed.It will fly much better though....I dont know if you have noticed but most Nexstars Drag their tails a bit in the turns so you need to use your rudder to make a nice looking turn...You can fix this if you have a computer radio by mixing a little rudder in with your ailerons...Cub flyer do it all the time.. Lots of instructors will sooner teach you to use your left thumb ( Rudder ) and thas great but the mix is easier...I would leave it up to your instructor...It was me talking about winter flying...I am getting ready for winter flying myself...Winter flying can be fun as long as you are prepared...Keep warm...Your motors will be harder to start...Your fingers wont work as well..Things get slippery...Be carefull ... Saftey is top priority always....If you can find a set of floats that fit your plane thats what I would look for...I am guessing you will have a .46 motor on your plane and that will be lots of power for flying floats..It was for mine...I much prefer floats over skis for winter flying...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good news! Happy flying and hopefully many, many years of flying fun! RC flying is fantastic and about a fun a hobby as one can possible have. It teaches you so much. You learn about electrical systems, radio systems, mechanical, servo systems, building, aerodynamics, etc. The sky is the limit (pun intended).

RC flying is simply loaded with all sorts of fantastic learning and fun experiences. By the way, one thing to ALWAYS remember is to make sure you are practicing safety at all times. I have seen some dangerous things happen that could have been avoided by just a little extra caution.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lol nice open field. looks like it is hot there. i am assuming that is in the desert? ours is like a tundra. just with a few pine trees out far and a radio antena but that is really far out. that nextar takes up ground fast. like i come in too high and WAY to fast for landing. if i try flying at part it would be in someones house withing 30 seconds lol. the people that fly at the park have slow small planes. i dont know how you guys can do tricks though! my airplane i have trouble even keeping it flying normal. i saw one float vertical like a helicopter today and that was spectacular.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Alena23

*lol nice open field. looks like it is hot there. *i am assuming that is in the desert? ours is like a tundra. *just with a few pine trees out far and a radio antena but that is really far out. *that nextar takes up ground fast. *like i come in too high and WAY to fast for landing. *if i try flying at part it would be in someones house withing 30 seconds lol. the people that fly at the park have slow small planes. *i dont know how you guys can do tricks though! my airplane i have trouble even keeping it flying normal. *i saw one float vertical like a helicopter today and that was spectacular.*
    Most of the guys that do "tricks" just comes from a lot of practice and learning the moves. Beleive it or not the trainer will seem slow in years to come Some progress faster than others and it all depends on each individual. I know a guy that started flying helis last fall and he can fly them as well as guys that have flown for 3-5 years. We are all different and learn differently.

I remember the first time I hovered. I could not even believe I did it! I still have a long ways to go but just the fact that I can hover some makes it really sweet. Now I find myself attempting to hover planes that are very difficult to hover and that is a fun challenge I think it was Bone Doc or someone else that stated they had practiced certain routine over a thousand times to get it down. Now that is a lot of practice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Most of the guys that do "tricks" just comes from a lot of practice and learning the moves. Beleive it or not the trainer will seem slow in years to come Some progress faster than others and it all depends on each individual. I know a guy that started flying helis last fall and he can fly them as well as guys that have flown for 3-5 years. We are all different and learn differently.

I remember the first time I hovered. I could not even believe I did it! I still have a long ways to go but just the fact that I can hover some makes it really sweet. Now I find myself attempting to hover planes that are very difficult to hover and that is a fun challenge I think it was Bone Doc or someone else that stated they had practiced certain routine over a thousand times to get it down. Now that is a lot of practice.

lol yes they looked pretty dedicated. i think i will set a goal of doing one loop in the next week. i need to figure out landing. the simulator is almost intall. i just got done wipping all that sticky burt fuel off the wing and side of airplane. no i have a pile of red paper towels lol why do they spit out so much fuel? does it not all burn? why do other piston engine like a car not have that residue problem but the airplane engine does. it is a O.S. .46size engine claims the box.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Two cycle engines have there oil mixed in the fuel and the snot is just spent used oil. That lubricates the engine and helps keep it cool. Get used to the mess and stink if you are going to fly glow engines. That is just one of the reasons electric power is becoming so popular today. I live in a little town right outside of Las Vegas NV and yes, it gets hot here but this time of year is about perfect. It was maybe 70 or 75 when we left the field today. Being a desert it can also snow and gets into the 20s but during the summer it can and will get to about 115 and more. About 100 to 105 is normal in the summer.
    Today was electric plane day so it was just fly and put them back in the van when we were finished. Yesterday it was gas and glow day so I was cleaning engine snot from my planes. Gas power is very clean, none of that nasty oil all over the planes, glow power is pretty nasty but too much fun to not use.
    Anyway, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on this flying stuff, have fun with it and welcome to RCU!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

there is nothing wrong with your engine... it's the nature of the beast.
    the glow engines use a really high oil content... like 20% or there abouts. the oil does not burn. So it spits it out the exhaust and ends up on the airframe. 409 or fantastic cleans it right off . thats why glow engines are called "slimers" it's part of the hobby. i got rid of my glows and went gasoline or electric because i hated the sliming so much. (cost of fuel for em is pretty ridiculous too)
    Now i am not knocking glow engines at all., had a couple that i just loved the performance of. I could just not deal with the oil all over the plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Two cycle engines have there oil mixed in the fuel and the snot is just spent used oil. That lubricates the engine and helps keep it cool. Get used to the mess and stink if you are going to fly glow engines. That is just one of the reasons electric power is becoming so popular today. I live in a little town right outside of Las Vegas NV and yes, it gets hot here but this time of year is about perfect. It was maybe 70 or 75 when we left the field today. Being a desert it can also snow and gets into the 20s but during the summer it can and will get to about 115 and more. About 100 to 105 is normal in the summer.
    Today was electric plane day so it was just fly and put them back in the van when we were finished. Yesterday it was gas and glow day so I was cleaning engine snot from my planes. Gas power is very clean, none of that nasty oil all over the planes, glow power is pretty nasty but too much fun to not use.
    Anyway, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on this flying stuff, have fun with it and welcome to RCU!
    ah ok. thanks for clariffication. i was wondering why. this fuel is almost like rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover so you would think it would just burn right up. it gets very cold here. no big change from russia though. nearly the same climates just more mountainous here. i dont know if i would last in desert conditions lol i am not sure about electrics. i will have to fly one before i judge anything. i did bump the corner of the tail on the horizontal fin of the wall and it kind of dented it inward but nothing serious. i like it so far and am learning a ton. i just dont want to annoy anyone here with simple questions or stupid questions so i will try to keep low key and look up most of them lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Electric power is no different then any other, just very quiet and clean compared to the rest. Sense the advent of the better batteries they have become very popular for all flying. Even choppers. The fellow we were flying with today was flying his electric powered Heli.
    It's a dry heat!! Sort of like fire!! We moved here for a number of reasons, one was the weather, the dry and warm part. Old body likes dry heat!! Young body liked the beach!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23424.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	1816533  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast