Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

soldering problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

soldering problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 AM
satinseat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soldering problem

accidentally cut the receiver aerial lead on a new flysky 2.4g receiver - did not think it a big deal as i would solder join but wires won't take solder - it seems to 'slip off' the wires and wont join - tried with flux but no joy anyway - what's going wrong? not a great solderer but normally works or is it the lead in question thats stopping me

thanks
ian

Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: soldering problem

Did you clean the wires with alcohol real good. Maybe use a bit of sand paper on them too then clean. I use a 60/40 solder on all my wiring but have found some of the different brands of flux doesn't work. The new lead free solders require too much heat for me when trying to solder small wires. I bought up a case of the real 60/40 lead solder knowing sooner or later the tree hugger bunny kissers will make any lead a thing of the past. No problems with it and I make up all my own leads and extensions.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it copper wire ?
If so get some very thin silver solder and silver solder flux and a very fine tip for the iron.
If it's not copper wire then you need to find out what kind of wire it is and go from there.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Invasionhunter

Make sure that your iron is getting hot enough. I used to build battery packs when I raced RC cars and if your iron is not getting hot enough you will have nothing but problems.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:49 AM
The Ghost

ORIGINAL: satinseat

accidentally cut the receiver aerial lead on a new flysky 2.4g receiver - did not think it a big deal as i would solder join but wires won't take solder - it seems to 'slip off' the wires and wont join - tried with flux but no joy anyway - what's going wrong? not a great solderer but normally works or is it the lead in question thats stopping me

thanks
ian

You won't solder them with normal solder(not copper), They are alos a coax cable(inner antenna, outer shield) why not just replace the antenna, onlt a couple of bucks from HK
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...nna_15_cm.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...nna_40_cm.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...nna_60_cm.html

Cheers
Old 11-07-2012, 12:55 PM
opjose

If the solder seems to slide or slip off, the metal it is landing on is not hot enough.

The OP's RX does not feature the micro connector that accepts the Hobby King replacement antennas.

Instead it uses a simple plastic covered wire antenna, not co-ax with an exposed reception tip.

I would recommend that if you can, you DESOLDER the antenna wire at the circuit board itself.

Usually it is attached with a single dollop of solder.

Use a fine point 40-60 watt iron. Soldering "pistol" guns tend to be too inexact for this type of work, so fine point pencil type irons work best.

Heat that and remove the wire altogether.

Then get a piece of similiar wire and cut it slightly long.

Trim the covering from one tip, twist the strands and place any form of heat sink ( I use small soldering hemostats for this ) before the covering to avoid it getting hot.

Heat the trimmed area and "tin" the exposed wire with a bit of solder.

Then heat the solder on the circuit board and put the new antenna on.

Remove the heat sink once cool and trim the wire to the correct length.

Good as new.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 PM
satinseat

thanks for all the advice - bit worried about being co-ax as it's so thin.

does that mean 2 parts to solder to the board (if i can get thin co-ax for the /
job)?

regards
ian
Old 11-07-2012, 01:13 PM
opjose

It depends upon the RX.

Some don't use Co-Ax at all.

When Coax is used the exposed ( non-coax ) part of the wire is the actual antenna, while the covered part just acts to move the active element away from the circuit board.

Can you post a picture of your RX, or a link to the vendor's site so we can see what you have?

Does the wire appear to be a straight plastic covered wire or is it truely co-ax?

Is there some sort of in-line balun or coil, towards the last third of the wire like in this example? [link=http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-17210252890263_2236_193860734.jpg]Click Here![/link]

If you can open the RX and post a picture of the point where the antenna connects.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM
satinseat

it's a flysky ct6b 2.4g receiver - theouter sleeve contains what looks like silver multi strands and 'fluffy' material - any use deciding? thanks, ian
Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wire is sometimes made with fiber threads woven in with the strands of metal. I guess this is intended to make the wire more flexible and less prone to fracturing the metallic strands. That stuff is just about impossible to solder.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 PM
opjose

it's a flysky ct6b 2.4g receiver - theouter sleeve contains what looks like silver multi strands and 'fluffy' material - any use deciding? thanks, ian[img][/img]
It sounds like co-ax up to the coil.

If you can open the RX and post a picture of the point where the antenna connects.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM
The Ghost

it's a flysky ct6b 2.4g receiver - theouter sleeve contains what looks like silver multi strands and 'fluffy' material - any use deciding? thanks, ian[img][/img]
They are coax see photos, the antenna will be removable as FlrSky use small conectors to attach the antenna to the RX board.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48362.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1818648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46956.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1818649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86341.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1818650  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM
opjose

Yup, you are correct.

The HK antenna recommendation should do the trick!