Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hot gluing a wing servo ?

2lb. electric Yak, instructions call for 2 sided tape to hold the wing servos on.
    Seems like the tape I have would allow for some play/movement .. I opted to use a dab of hot glue under the servo and then around the edges...
    Is this an acceptable method.. seems tight... I've always relied on mechanical fasteners..

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec88576.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	1818690  
    Excuse me while I touch the sky...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Hot gluing a wing servo ?

I see no issue with that PR. On some like that with an aileron plate I have used thin foam tape and just CA'ed both sides of the thin tape. That way it gives a very thin cushion of foam that allows you to cut out the servo with a blade if needed later. Also have simply Ca'ed with foam safe directly to the foam side.

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have done this but wrapped the servo with a turn of masking tape before the glue.

Gut feeling said that this was more secure.
    The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

2lb. electric Yak, instructions call for 2 sided tape to hold the wing servos on
    I would not trust that arrangement. One extra item that would make it - IMO - OK, is to use one or more of the small plastic ties ( readily available in $ stores in packages of a number of them in varied lengths ) wrapped around the servo through a small hole drilled through the wood/plastic base. Then if the tape gets loose, you have a good chance of discovering it before you pick up a broken flying machine.

I use a lot of those little ties and big ties to hold and/or secure various items in their place.
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

“Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cheap ARF's often install servos with hot glue. A pain if you have to replace one, but otherwise seems to work fine.

With wood hatches like in your photo, though, I think I'd epoxy a couple of blocks of wood to the hatch and mount the servo with screws.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

2lb. electric Yak, instructions call for 2 sided tape to hold the wing servos on
    I would not trust that arrangement. One extra item that would make it - IMO - OK, is to use one or more of the small plastic ties ( readily available in $ stores in packages of a number of them in varied lengths ) wrapped around the servo through a small hole drilled through the wood/plastic base. Then if the tape gets loose, you have a good chance of discovering it before you pick up a broken flying machine.

I use a lot of those little ties and big ties to hold and/or secure various items in their place.

I'm not using tape, I've hot glued it in. There may be better tape as mine is not super sticky?
    On my 2nd wing servo I super glued to small mounting blocks on each side of the servo. I didn't screw it in but still used hot glue. Figuring it would hold better with the blocks being there. Could pop a couple of screws into the servo holes. But the first attempt was only with hot glue and as pointed out, it may be a bugger to remove?

I,ve just never NOT used a mechanical fastener.

A plastic tie would work but a little to ugly... Would be last resort..

Thanks
    Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The trouble with tie wraps is even if the the adhesive failed (whatever type you choose) is they are likely to cause wiggling anyway. I have used the ties in several attempts and even attempted to use no adhesive with just the ties. The result always seemed to be wiggling and a maladjusted control surface.

There are many times servos are just glued directly to a foam surface also and tie could not be used .

PR, you know what you have done is just fine.

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You could also screw/glue a couple of pieces of hardwood
    to the plate and screw the servo to them.
    Very common practice with larger scale planes.
    Basswood would probably work.

Good Luck,
    KW_Counter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What you have done is almost a permanent solution...You will have fun reclaming your servo if you ever find the need or you might need to make a new hatch if the servo ever goes south on you and you want to replace the servo... but what you have done looks to me like it will work fine , probably one of the most secure methods I have seen...
    Ken , Biker BC Cub Brother #6 Ultra Sport Brother # 100 Tiger Club # 7 Pulse Brother # 1 Sig Brother # 58 Top Flight Brother # 9

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

You could also screw/glue a couple of pieces of hardwood
    to the plate and screw the servo to them.
    Very common practice with larger scale planes.
    Basswood would probably work.
    Yup. My first choice as well.

The servos are still removable.

You can take advantage of grommets to provide a cushion.

More reliable than hot glue.

Very simple too.

What is not to like?

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hot glue when the servo is ecnased in foam only. 2lb model is a bit much for just hot glue. I do wrap in tape so i can then cut the tape and get the servo out.

Being an old(er) timer.. i find it crazy what size servos people are putting in larger models.. micros in 3 lb models... insane. Must realzie the smaller the servo.. the thinner the gear and the fewer teeth on the gear... easier to strip under load. But that's just me.
    Mike -
    I was born a pilot... 100 years to late.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

What you have done is almost a permanent solution...You will have fun reclaming your servo if you ever find the need or you might need to make a new hatch if the servo ever goes south on you and you want to replace the servo... but what you have done looks to me like it will work fine , probably one of the most secure methods I have seen...

Yes, I thought of that.. lol
    Worse is, its a new servo that I havent tested yet... hope it works...lol

The supplied instructions of a piece of 2 sided tape just didnt seem secure, at least not with the tape I have...

if the HS 55 servo is beefy enough is another question. I have the same servo on the elevator and a hs82 mg servo on the pull pull rudder. Just using what I have on hand...

what would be a better servo thats the same size as the HS55 as thats the size the servo mounts were made to?

steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Shoe Goop would attack foam, but it will do a great job holding your servo to any semi pourous to non-pourous surface I can think of. If you are gluing to soft balsa, pin ***** the area, then hit it with CA glue. It's always a good idea to clean the servo case with something like acetone before gluing. This etches the plastic.
    The Shoe Goop also isolates the servo from vibration and some pylon racers swear by it.
    It isn't too hard to undo it if you have to later on, but it will put up a pretty good fight.
    I used to use HS55s in all my 1/2A planes, but have stepped up to HS65s after quite a few HS55 failures. The HS-65s will still find ways to fail in the tail of a small 3D plane if you accidentally bump them or if the servos are forced to move the control surfaces [easily] beyond there normal range of motion.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???