Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How do I slow down?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How do I slow down?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 05:53 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How do I slow down?

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

First, program 5-7 mph of wind coming down the runway on your simulater. It will make landing the trainer much easier.
Right on!

The OP doesn't really say if he is talking about slowing down on the sim or slowing down while actually flying the plane but if he is training with the actual plane, I assume he would be flying with an instructor and that instructor should be able to help him understand how to reduce airspeed while on approach for landing.

Although the sim is a good tool, it also needs some realism programmed in. Add a little wind to your sim program but start by adjusting the wind direction to be sure it's down the runway. Then take off and land into the wind. As you progress and get better with your landings, change the wind direction so you get a slight cross wind. For some obnoxious reason, the silly wind never seems to line up with the runway all the time in real life. Go figure.

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:45 AM
BobbyMcGee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast is better. Why would anyone want to slow down!?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Lnewqban

Ask her..........
Old 11-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Simul8R
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

You can make very smooth landings just using the throttle, with very little elevator input
I'll second that one big time.

I was landing at idle power and finding that I landed hard and often bounced. I had previously flown Gliders, full sized and RC, and pitch (i.e. elevator) was the only control on approach. Since there was not enough airspeed to fly the second landing was just as hard. When I started learning to use the throttle to control the approach and not the elevator my landings changed immediately. When the approach is good and you have the space just a touch of power in the flare makes your landings look excellent. It just arrests the decent enought to make it a touchdown rather than a landing.

When you get your own plane and flying solo try and get to the field when there are very few other people there and just fly touch and gos, lots of them. And when you have done lots of them do lots more. You will improve more in that one or two hours than you could believe. If the approach looks bad then go around, don't push a bad approach and bust up your model.