Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Electric Model for Beginner?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Electric Model for Beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Model for Beginner?

Hi there,

I've been tasked with searching out a electric model for my younger brother (he's 10) as a Christmas gift. To be honest, I'm not sure where to start.

I have a personal preference when it comes to Sig models, the Kadet series in particular, but I really don't think my brother will have the interest to put one together.

Preferably I'd be looking for a model with similar flying characteristics as the formentioned Kadet, but as a RTF, Plug and Fly, or inexpensive to outfit ARTF? I've looked at the Seniorita EP and the Nexstar Mini, but both are a trifle expensive for someone who may or may not persist with the hobby.

Wingspan should be below 2000 mm, and although I know a balsa model would last longer, I have no preference between that and foam, especially if the cost becomes a factor.

Thank you, and all advice is appreciated!

Graeme
Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 PM
bikerbc

Default RE: Electric Model for Beginner?

Just to be different there is a plane called an I Con that is a pusher..It flyes off the water ( or land ) so it is quite versatile . You can get it as a bind and fly...I bought one because my buddy has one and he was really having fun with it..I have been flying for years but he just started this summer..This was his second plane..His first solo plane...He had no trouble flying it although he did crack it up a few times...It is very easy to glue back together as it is all foam...He did all his flying off the water..Foam floats so it is easy to pick the pieces all up if you break it...I havent cracked mine yet , it is easy to fly...It is my first electric , I will be getting more....I really like this one because you can get up in the morning and go down to the beach and get in a flite or two without disturbing anybody...It comes with a charger that plugs into your cig liter and charges your batt in about an HR...The I Con is made by Horizion hobby and they are fantastic for support ect...I know the I Con is not your Typical plane like the Nexstar but it is very cool looking and It is a scale plane , I thought it was really something when I first saw it...I think it is worth a look anyway..It is defnitly somthing different...Your Son might really like it ..
Old 11-25-2012, 06:11 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

Preferably I'd be looking for a model with similar flying characteristics as the formentioned Kadet, but as a RTF, Plug and Fly, or inexpensive to outfit ARTF?

Wingspan should be below 2000 mm, and although I know a balsa model would last longer,

This airplane is the closest airplane to the characteristics of a well set up Seniorita or Senior Kaydet that I have ever flown. I do not own one but have trained some folks with those.

I have no idea if the size is right for you, Don,t speak metric but its smaller than the Seniorita. This is the latchkey package also a lot cheaper as a 'receiver ready airplane.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCKWL&P=RF

Just a parting thought. Assuming the desire is to introduce him to model aviation and to be able to share the adventure with him as he progresses then sometimes you run the risk when purchasing the sometimes cheaper more toy like products that he may not embrace the hobby. This when sometimes with a better airplane choice he just may.

John
Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just spent Thanksgiving with the grand kids and my oldest one is not quite 6 yet but has been flying the little indoor Choppers sense he was 2 plus the simulator. I took him up with the trainer and buddy box last year so now he has his own plane he flies. It's a 42 inch Super Cub Foam three channel plane. I was very impressed with not only him but this plane too. He can loop and roll it and the plane handled the wind very well. It comes complete RTF with a pretty good TX and the complete package was about $200.00. If your interested I can phone and get more info like who sells it and what it is called. The plane really takes a beating too without falling apart. There were a couple of them flying this week and I saw them hit a steel stand that would have taken out my little electric Extra, these planes were just picked up and taken off again. I was impressed with the package.
Sorry RCU is having server errors again and won't allow a photo to be posted?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:33 PM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Apprentice is another excellent trainer airplane. The advantage over balsa for a trainer is if you demolish the vert stab (for example) it is cheap and quick to replace. It is also an excellent flier.

At 10, I would think it would be wise to have him on a buddy box with an experienced flier.

Also stress safety. Electrics in this size range can really slice a person up, and need to be handled with the same care as a loaded gun whenever the battery is connected.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:17 PM
DeferredDefect

Thank you everyone for the advice so far!

Of all the models suggested, I think the Apprentice or the Sensei would be the closest to what I am looking for. Both models seem to be what I am looking for in regards to size and proportion. I fly at a local club with a grass strip, so that would be where his model will be flown as well. I assume both models would have no difficulty with short to medium length grass? 

In the meantime, although this model is as of yet unknown to him, I've had my brother on the simulator (Realflight G4.5) and he's quite good.  I'm also going to pick up a buddy cable because I wan't the model to last more than 12 seconds. 

I'm still very much open to suggestions for other models or ideas. 

Thanks again,

Graeme
Old 11-25-2012, 07:38 PM
JeffinTD

With the Apprentice, the one upgrade I'd suggest is larger wheels, especially for grass.

It is also fun with floats.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:16 PM
KitBuilder

Hobbyzone Cub- RTF... Believe it was mentioned above... All ideas suggested will need someone to help him out.. I've trained others using this model. What's nice is it looks real.. is 3 channel so less confusion and will keep him satisfied and is small enough for a say a middle school track field.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ7300.html

Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, that's the Cub the grandson is flying. He was having trouble getting it low enough to land and hit a steel bench the kids stand on to race there cars and the plane hit it hard. I was thinking broken wing at least but it didn't even dent it very bad. Dusted it off and had him go up again until he got a good landing. I never thought a foam plane could take that kind of hit and live. My Aeroworks Extra would have been rubble!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52408.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1823612  
Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 PM
DeferredDefect

With a few votes to the Supercub, and for being more durable than Rasputin, I'll definitely add it to the list! How does the brushed motor perform against the comparable brushless models? The price of the Cub vs the receiver-ready Sensei are pretty close, and I just want to make sure I'm getting good value.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
JeffinTD

There are a couple super cubs at the field I fly at. They seem to have plenty of power.

Some of the older beginners seem to have an easier time starting with 3 channel, but younger folks (video game generation) and those with simulator experience seem to do fine with a 4 chan like the Apprentice.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:20 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Given a choice, I would choose brushless. Why? I don't know...I just do. [8D] Possibly because I only have and use brushless.

CGr