Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First trainer kit

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First trainer kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 AM
DaGersh25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First trainer kit

Hello,
Im looking for a first trainer kit plane.. it will be my first, and I want a kit for sure as i want to assemble everything. Im kind of lost as which would be the best kit though. Im trying to get something relatively smaller in size (maybe between 30"-45") wingspan... Also looking to do this as economically sound as a can so i dont kill my budget. I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction for a kit and any other parts that they believe would be necessary. I have experience with rc boats, cars/trucks, and helicopters, but this will be my first plane.
Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM
BillinIndiana

Default RE: First trainer kit

I went with a kit made by Sig ... Great instructions and parts. www.sigmfg.com/
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 AM
GaryHarris

Howdy and welcome to the forum.

There is a link above suggesting planes for beginners here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm

I would suggest going with a bigger plane like a Sig Kadet LT 40. They are easier to see and more forgiving. Plus, it's a pretty easy plane to build and Ken has done a bang up job creating a build thread for it.

Since your already into RC, you understand and I hate saying this, but nothing is really cheap in RC if you want quality.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM
adamle

The sig trainers are great kits and great flyers. My favorite is the LT 40. A lot of pilots will recommend an arf as you won't have the emotional attachment that you will with a kit. I say get a kit, build it, and enjoy flying. Buddy box with an experienced pilot and you'll be fine.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:15 AM
GaryHarris

Here is Kens thread on the LT 40 build. I could build this kit with it and toss the book out the window.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3439708
Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a new kit on the market by Balsa U.S.A. that Ken is doing a review on. The kit is designed to incorporate about every type of building technique you will encounter in your future builds. It comes up a lot on the pop ups here on RCU. I pulled up the plane on there site and so far it looks like a big winner. It also doesn't look like every other trainer ever built. Just that is a big plus. I'm still waiting to read ken's review on it but at this moment from what I have seen it would be my first choice.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:50 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A trainer with a wingspan of 30 to 45 inches that you can build. Unfortunately that era is long past, as small training designs have grown to 40-46 powered models of about 60". The LT-40 being one of the best. Size does help you fly in higher winds, they are easier to see, and they are somewhat easier to control, but smaller designs are rugged and easier to store.

But if we could go back in time about 40 years ago or more, there were many models designed for small engines and simple radio systems that could be adapted to your requirements. Other than watching for auctions to turn up dusty old kits or building from plans there is a company that has several classic designs that meet your desires.

http://www.earlyrcmodels.com/id15.html

As you scroll down their list of available kits, several would work well as primary trainers, though most are slightly larger than 45" wingspan. The Champ, Esquire, Falcon 56 or Jr Falcon, H-Ray, and S-Ray word work well.

Sig also sells a few Herr designs that are trainers as kits in that size range.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:05 PM
DeferredDefect

http://www.alienaircraft.com/k101.htm
Alien aircraft have some nice looking kits- all laser cut, to boot. Although I've never flown it, their "Stormy" design looks like something that would fit your needs. If not, I would highly recommend a Sig kit - see if you can pick up an LT-25 for a smaller trainer.
Good luck!
Graeme
Old 12-15-2012, 02:21 PM
GaryHarris

Link no workie.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM
opjose

Check out http://www.mountainmodels.com

Very nice kits.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 PM
carrellh

http://www.alienaircraft.com/k101.htm size is about what you requested
Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

That small is not going to train you. Bigger flies better. At least 50-60"
Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 PM
jhicks112562

I built an Alien Aircraft Stormy. Used a Park 300 brushless motor, 18 amp ESC, a 7 x 5 APC prop and two Futaba S3114 servos. Outfitted it with Lumifly FAA lights. I absolutley love to fly this plane! It is a great choice for a beginner. Steer clear of the wind, though. Comes in a just over 8 ozs. with a 3S 1000 mah 20 C lipo battery.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 PM
tomgreen

You might alos want to look at the PT-40 by Great Planes. It's a great first plane and will take the lumps of learning. Also the Goldberg Eagle 2.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:54 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't think of a better kit that the Sig Kadet MkII. I think the kit price is around $75, wingspan between 50 and 60 in. Two stroke engine between a .25 and .40.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Steve_P.
My Feedback: (38)

Whatever you get, make sure it will (1) fit in your home, and (2) fit in your car!  Fly safe.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 AM
DaGersh25

Thanks everyone for the input.. really appreciate it
I think after everything i've seen that im gonna go with this one:
I understand about the larger the plane the better trainer it will be, but the field available to me is relatively small so i believe this plan is the one best suited for it..
Thanks again everyone! 
Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 AM
tony0707

Check out towers ready to fly trainner
Go with a 60 size if you can spend the money
Easy to see and generally a smoother flyer the larger the airframes get
I like to build my high wing aircraft with a flat wing ( no diaheadral ) OR best with some anheadral to reduce the control coupling of the controll surfaces on a high wing
Improves the flight characteristics of the 40and 60 size Stiks a lot
Old 12-16-2012, 08:14 AM
carrellh

DaGersh, as you've seen, participants in the RCU Beginner forum lean very heavily toward big glow powered trainers. Those are what I prefer too.

RCU has a partner site www.wattflyer.com that is dedicated to electric flight. You might want to have a look.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked thru the build instructions on that kit,,,, with no ailerons and e power I think by the time you build and learn to fly it you will be bored with it and will hang with the rest of the hangar queens, IMHO three channel flight is great for learning rudder control but with ailerons you open a hole new dimention you will need on your next build [ a 60 size super sportster lol] good luck and happy building and flying.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Three channel flight used to be called REM or rudder, elevator, and motor. Back in the 60's it was known as Class II for competition. One of the best designs for Class II that I ever flown was a Stark Shark powered by an OS .61 engine. About the only manouver that it could not do was knife edge flight. It rolled a well as any design with ailerons, flew inverted with complete control including turns, looped both inside and outside, and did spins (though not flat spins). So flying with just REM is not that limited, just slightly different. I can remember at least eight designs that I have built and enjoyed, with plans to do another two or three before the glue drys in my bottle.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get your self a "Park Zone Flyer".
Old 12-16-2012, 03:08 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do so many of you suggest park fliers and arf's etc. when he ( ?) said he wanted a KIT to build ?? Let him get a good start by building and learning how things work. To many people come to the fields and don't have a clue about anything . " Live and learn " ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-16-2012, 03:37 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: red head

Why do so many of you suggest park fliers and arf's etc. when he ( ?) said he wanted a KIT to build ?? Let him get a good start by building and learning how things work. To many people come to the fields and don't have a clue about anything . '' Live and learn '' ENJOY !!! RED
I'll tell you why because they are inexpensive and most fly extremely well. I have built kits in the past and would never reccoment them to a beginner. Once they can fly than they can build all the kits they want. I have seen a few beginner in the past build a kit and on the first flight re-kit it.
I have also help others' build their own full size airplanes and not one of them knew how to fly until they received full scale flying lessons.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:09 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I learned on a three channel Enya 09 powered 36 inch winspan, 3 channel Citabria. It was from Hobby people. A Pilot kit I believe. There was no buddy boxes back then. It flew great and was a lot of fun. My second was the QB 20H. Another Pilot kit, with a OS25 and a 48 inch wingspan. Four channel. So it can be done.

But now I recommend a 40 size plane and get a compatible engine for that. Most of the good trainers can be flown off "small fields" with ease. Easier to see. Better wind handling. Plus lots of later airplanes can use engine, and equipment.

The Sig line are some of the best. Tough and durable. When built properly. If taken to a field and test flown by a good pilot then you will know it is right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.