Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Newbie!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Newbie!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:20 AM
TPL33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie!

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

TPL33: The Hobbico 60 trainer is an outstanding choice. What's nice about is the size. For trainers, the larger the better (within limits of course). They give you better visibility to what's happening when you apply movement to the control sticks, as well as slower and more sedate reactions to the stick movement. You do not need an aerobatic fast plane as a trainer, that's for sure.

I am not a big fan of the PTS. I am old school - where a trainer is a trainer, and a war bird is a war bird. The mix never worked for me... but that's my opinion.

Many, if not most of us "old timers" still fly our trainers. Yeah, you might learn then put it aside for a faster more maneuverable aircraft, but many of seem to drift back to the basics once in a while to re-learn how to fly!! That may sound odd, but when you get to the more capable planes, the ones that "fly like they are on rails", those are nice, but you tend to get very comfortable with that and lose some of the stick-and-rudder action you learned with the trainers. Going back once in a while is great because you get the nice slow, floating action of a trainer that can be relaxing as well as putting us back to the basics of flying RC.

Anyway, once again, that's my opinion that is based on my personal experiences.

Good luck!! Enjoy RC!!!

CGr.
And, the Hobbico 60 can do basic aerobatics. Each time I fly, I try to add something different to try. I'm just getting back into it, but, I've already done loops, aileron rolls, and immelans. I haven't tried any inverted yet, mybe today!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 AM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: mniesen89

I'm talking about the P-51 PTS. I wouldn't have the nerve to fly a true scale yet!

Hey TPL, thanks for the welcome...I may get an instructor, if I get out there for the first time and really think I can't do it. Flying the sim so far has given me enough to recall how this is done. I think I should be alright.

Hi Mike,

I would suggest you at least have someone help you with your maiden flight to trim it out. A well trimmed plane will be easier to get the hang of then one you are fighting. The Daytona RC club is close to you on Tomoka Farms Rd (CR 415), It has a very forgiving runway and field and plenty of experienced people who would be happy to help. Here is a link to the website http://dbrca.org/index.htm
Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 AM
daytonarc

Deleted duplicate post
Old 12-28-2012, 02:01 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I build these out of dollar tree foam or blue dow fanfold for my grandkids and so far they like flying the toon planes . It is a german desighn and pretty easy to build plus the grandkids get a kick out of how slow it flys and looks . Its only rudder and elev so i put the rudder on the ail stick so they can learn to fly ail later . My next plane for all of them is a Kadet SR . The best part of these for me is they cost me 3 bucks plus the servos and motor and with cardboard patterns i can build another one fast. Here is a link to the tiled plans ,videos and construction pictures ,good luck joe http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22098736
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73746.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1834230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13204.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1834231  
Old 12-28-2012, 02:39 PM
mniesen89

Hey daytonarc, I did email the club today via there website about how to join and some basic information. I have yet to receive a response.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:22 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At our club, you will get a chance to show your skills. If you can fly well enough that you are not a danger to others and willing to follow our simple field rules... only then will we let you fly solo. Applies to everyone unless they are well known from a local club.

15 years is a lot of rust to knock off and things have changed a great deal, even in the last 5 years the technology has changed.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:29 PM
mniesen89

If I did join the club I would seek instruction.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Well hello and welcome back. You are on the right track. I actually envy you because I take my 5 yr old boy to the field weekly and he seems more interested in the Disney movies in my iPad than in the airplanes.
One of the Clubs I belong to is in Christmas Fl, not too far from you. We have instructors and like everybody else said we have a " prove us you can fly" policy.
Real flight is my simulator of choice and it helps a ton. It's not, I repeat not the same as stick time at the field but it helps.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 AM
daytonarc

ORIGINAL: mniesen89

Hey daytonarc, I did email the club today via there website about how to join and some basic information. I have yet to receive a response.

Thanks for the input.
PM sent
Old 12-30-2012, 09:05 AM
mniesen89

Thanks again for the help Daytonarc, hope to see ya out there!