Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engines

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:26 AM
07coot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines

I just got a 90 inch cub i want to put on a gas engine not sure what size they say it takes a 60 -90 2 stroke can anybody tell what size that would be in a gas engine?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engines

Well, a 20cc gas displaces 1.22 cu in. I believe that's about the smallest gas engine you could use on that plane.

That's the DLE20, sells for about $250 at Tower Hobbies.

You can go to Tower and look up the specs on both engines and see what you might be able to use.

CGr
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 AM
goirish

I have a 26 on my clipped wing cub and it is no barn burner. It takes about 3 states to get it off the water. Of course, it might help if I put floats on it.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Zenoah G-23 0r G-26 might be good it you need the additional nose weight (magneto engines) for balance?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:24 AM
jetmech05

I'm thinking the DLE 20 would be a good choice...The Zenoah's are heavy...welcome to the world of gassers I made the switch about 4 years ago I can't ever see going back to glow
Old 12-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 07coot

I just got a 90 inch cub i want to put on a gas engine not sure what size they say it takes a 60 -90 2 stroke can anybody tell what size that would be in a gas engine?
Just using my low-end experience with gas burners I suggest the Zenoah G-23 or 26 if you want the least amount of problems and work. I have two G-26s on different airplanes. They start easily using a standard starter. They run very well using the magneto. I also have a 101" wingspan Bipe that has a Zenoah 62 which I converted to battery ignition.
Starts easily and runs well on battery ignition. Much lighter less the magneto and MUCH easier to flip start.
I have in my stock 4 of the DLE types, never used, and one Fox 3.2 (I iseem to remember, too lazy to head for the barn and find out) plus 2 other old time sparkers, battery ignition, forget the names, but easy to start and run or were some 6 years ago.

Back to your question, I think the Zenoah are super little engines for no-problem sport flying. Don't seem to be finicky about fuel as I mix by TLAR (that looks about right), and one flies a 100" w/s Eindecker while one flies an 80" somewhat heavy old WE Robin Hood 80" w/s machine.
I have several projects for the DLE types in the not too distant future. They will power some 70-80" warbirds.

Overall IMO if this is a first gaser, you can't go wrong with the Zenoahs on magneto. One point is that if you should remove a magneto and revert to battery ignition, RECHECK the CG!!!!.. It can cause a lot of worry if you don't re-adjust. NA!! NA ME!!! []
Old 12-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Zinoah also has had a 20cc for a long time with an electronic ignition. It's a toss up what brand is better? The DLE is just the Fair haired new kid on the block so everyones sweet hart. There is also a really great looking new 22cc gas engine from Italy, look it up in the gas engine forum. I know Karol has one but hasn't ran it in a plane yet. I still have one of the original RCS 1.40s or 22cc but it is very high performance and a bit much for a Cub, I pulled the wing off of an 80 inch Kaos with it!! My bad! The point is there are a number of small gas engines on the market for the Cub. I would be looking at the DLE and Zinoah. Also keep in mind the Cub will probably be tail heavy so a bit of nose weight is a good thing. Go look them up in the gas engine forum.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:18 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

It sounds like the perfect project for the Saito FG-17 4-stroke gasoline engine; a veritable bargain at $449.99 MAP. The 17cc displacement equals about 1.00 cu in. and should match the power requirements of your Cub quite nicely.