Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting back into flying

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting back into flying

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:17 AM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into flying

After a hiatus of a few years I'm getting back into flying. It's probably been 4 years or so since I've flown. It's amazing how much has changed in that time and how much I'm having to dig in my memory to recall all of the things that were second hand before.

My big question right now is with batteries. Does anyone have experience with using A123 batteries for Rx packs? I'm not necessarily going to use them in my smaller planes while I relearn to fly however I restarted my build of the TF Arrow II and thought about using them in there.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Getting back into flying

I have used them once, but I prefer LiIon batteries I feel I have a better idea of the charge state.
The nice thing with Life batteries is you don't need a voltage regulator
Charge times are longer but voltage stays high and times between charges is very long
Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 AM
msu68stang

Yeah I was looking at the lipos too. I just don't want to have to take out my battery to charge it. Things may have changed but I remember LiPos have had a history of bursting into flames. I would rather not lose my bird/house to an exploding LiPo.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 AM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back! I'm also trying to get back into flying after a few years out. Trying to decide what upgrades to make and rx batteries are on the list.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 AM
msu68stang

Thanks! Welcome back yourself. I was looking at my favorite battery maker (NoBS Batteries) and he mentioned the A123 batteries on his page. I really like the sound of them. Problem is I would have to invest in a new charger too so I want to make sure people are having good experiences with them before I invest.

Now if I could just remember where I used to buy my CA I would be set. I've been racking my brain trying to remember.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 AM
jetmech05

Lipos that you're thinking of aren't the same as a Life or LiIon battery. I don't remove mine to charge.
Turnigy makes a 4 pack charger for a 100 bucks
Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I use LiFe's and don't plan to ever buy anything else. A dedicated LiFe charger can be had pretty cheaply, somewhere around $30 if memory serves.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 AM
kwblake

I also use LiFe batteries with my Rx. Love them. You can get balance plug extensions, so that helps keep the battery in the plane. There is a bunch of info. here. http://www.hangtimes.com/ Also Futaba makes a device to check available power in a LiFe. http://www.futaba-rc.com/accessories/futm4166.html BR-3000 There is also a ton of threads on the subject.

Hope this helps a bit.

Just tried the Futaba link, and it didn't work. Just go to Futaba's website, and look for the BR-3000.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 AM
msu68stang

Thanks! I used the NoBs batteries exclusively before so I have read that page quite a bit when looking in to these. Sounds like that's how I will be going for my Arrow.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 AM
jester_s1

It's not even really necessary to buy the special battery checker. If you'll cycle your battery after two flights initially to see what your amp draw was and then fly to 1/2 of capacity thereafter you'll never have a problem with running it down. It's smart to go ahead and cycle test your batteries from time to time to be sure they are still giving you full capacity though.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
kwblake

I do agree, that the battery checker is not a necessity, but it gives me some peace of mind. It's just another tool, that I find useful.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 PM
manoseao
Banned

I have used them once, but I prefer LiIon batteries I feel I have a better idea of the charge state.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: msu68stang

..but I remember LiPos have had a history of bursting into flames...
Sorry to say, but your memory isn't quite accurate. There's about a bzillion of us out there using lipos without issue - just come to one of our indoor electric events where lipos are all that we use, and we have never had one "burst into flames."

Kurt

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qslsEQlGg30[/youtube]
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 PM
jester_s1

Of all the internet myths out there, I'm glad this is the only one we have to deal with on a constant basis. Yes, Lipos are flammable. They are not explosive and will not burn unless heated enough for the cells to burst. That can happen if the battery is shorted, damaged, or severely overcharged. The first ones to hit the market were fairly fragile and unpredictable, but pretty much anything now that's new enough to even use is very trustworthy. Charge them right, don't keep them if they are damaged in a crash, and don't let them get shorted out (good wiring, quality ESC's) and they are no more dangerous than the box of matches in your kitchen drawer or the can of gas in your shed.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 PM
msu68stang

Well I'm glad to know they have stabilized. Now begins the long process of getting all the planes flight ready again. Hopefully my engines aren't too gummed up.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is no myth, it is real and I experianced it from ten feet away at the next flight station fueling my gassor I did not even know that the ower had placed his airplane there and plugged it in as my back was to him. I am at the next station just out of the frame to right. That is when it erupted in flames that were four feet high momentarily!

I had a one gallon gas can hooked up to the airplane and the can was in my lap as I refueled from my wheelchair! I could only roll away in retreat with the dripping fueling line flailing about. It is fortunate I always carry an extinguiser when I fly gas ships and others were able to use it.

I will not speculate what was the cause only that the battery had been charged at home by the owner. I feel it is a mistake to denegrate the real danger as an Internet Myth. Fact is not everyone does everything perfect and proper every time.

Also note the close up of the remains of the battery and who could deny that this was certainly an Explosive discharge?

This was is internet myth and it was for real, I was so shaken I never did fly that day.

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98022.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1839465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14596.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1839466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm25148.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1839467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91733.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1839468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19533.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1839469  
Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 AM
jester_s1

I didn't mean that it was a myth that they'll burn. I meant it is a myth that they'll burn for no reason.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been using lipos for years now without issues and I love them. There are rules to follow when you use them of course.

1 Use proper lipo charging equipment.

2 Proper battery installation insuring no sharp pressure points that can cause damage to the delicate battery skin or battery movement causing chaffing during flight.

3 Never charge lipos in the airplane, remove them and place in a firesafe container during charge!

Bob