Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

QUestion about field supplies

Old 01-17-2013, 02:21 AM
guille2006

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: QUestion about field supplies

I do bring as less as possible; just glow plug + starter (with its own battery) and fuel tan with his own pump.
If the preflight check gives me even a small screw to tight, I just go back home... each time I found something in my plane mostly ended in tragedy. So I don't even bring a screwdriver!!!!
A good on-hangar maintenance ensures me good flying day and saves me a lot of time preparing 1ton of equipment to move!!!!!
Cheers...
Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 AM
Droiddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I too like to keep it simple in things I do.

I intend to bring a reasonanle amount of tools and equipment. I will not want to lug around tons without a good reason.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
kwblake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is one that I use. It's nice if you already have the Makita batteries and charger. Kind of spendy if you also have to buy them though. Here is a link , if you are interested. http://www.afineredgemfg.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82203.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1841475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39955.jpg
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1841476  
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats a nice unit KW especially ergonomically when used one handed where it easy to rotate the switch to a comfortable position. With the batterys hung below its not as easy to rotate when in a one handed position.

Droiddr as far as what to bring the vast majority of folks tends to make a big giant circle almost inevitably. Most start out with fancy box's stuffed to the gills and for some years the boxs keep getting bigger and bigger. Then at some point perhaps years most will start culling all the useless weight.

The turning point for me actually occurred when I first got into AMA rulebook pylon and that involve a lot of walkin with the airplane and just your starting line equipment in very small box's called startline boxs. It measured it one day with a pedometer and it involved over a mile of walking with the airplane and your startline gear.

Ever since I now have always used a simpley startline box and a single geared manual pump strapped or RTV'ed to the fuel can. This is all that ever leaves the truck. I did develop a conventional type box with key tools mounted on the front and this box never leaves the truck but is always there. The only exception is when perhaps traveling hundreds of mile to attend a weekend event and parking may be vast distances from the pit area.

This little flight line box will change configuration and what I put in it depending on what type of airplane I am flying: Sport airplane, pylon racer etc. and the fuel can will change depending on what of engines I may be flying:
Glow, Pylon fuel, Diesel or gasolene.

John
Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
kwblake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey John. Yes it is a nice unit. The adapter is about $45.00, which isn't too bad, but as I said, it would sure add up if you had to buy the battery, and charger from Makita.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:56 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Neglected to post the pics of the startline box and the truck box that lives in the truck that is the last photo. It has folding legs that brings is up to wheel chair height for those rare times it serves on the beach or some dry lake venue and comes out of the truck.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pn35230.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	1841534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77902.jpg
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1841535   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28077.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1841536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15351.jpg
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1841537  
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM
kwblake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey John. Two questions. Do you have enough props???? In the last photo, is that a Scooby doo lunchbox????

Hope you are feeling well.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: kwblake

Hey John. Two questions. Do you have enough props???? [img][/img] In the last photo, is that a Scooby doo lunchbox???? [img][/img]

Hope you are feeling well.
I don't think Ol John will ever have enough of anything. He must have a trail of 18 wheelers bringing in new stuff every day.

He sent me some pictures one time. WOW, he could supply the industry with stuff. I once thought I was well stocked. John is light years ahead of me.

Good Man John. He keeps the industry in business.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, First off no self respecting modeler/flyer can ever have enough props And Scooby Who? Thats the real thing baby thats The Lone Ranger

Unfortunately my Hoppi lunch pail (Hoppilong Cassidy) with the with the Expanded Scale and the Ace Tack just got too beat up over time

Yup getting better every day.

JB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nl29850.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1841623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52232.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1841624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81191.jpg
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1841625  
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
HighPlains

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No self respecting modeler ever leaves a hobby shop without at least one new prop, unless he's already got a couple of each size.

Now engine manufacturers will tell you what prop to use on their engine, which you should only consider to be a suggestion, but not optimum for your engine/plane combo. For one thing, some engine makers tend to call out very aggressive oversized props. Whether this is a marketing ploy, or an attempt to appease the noise nazi's in their native countries, I am unsure. However by experimentation with various props, you can usually increase performance, while improving the ease of operation of the engine. When engines are lugged down with too much prop, the needle valve settings become much more tempermental than a lightly loaded engine. While you might think that going down in pitch will slow down your airplane, quite often just the opposite happens, because the engine ends up producing more power at a higher RPM.

What I usually look for is just enough speed to do decent knife edge flight, and use as big a diameter with that lower pitch to improve climb rates. But finding this prop usually requires testing 6 to 10 props. It's a bit like how your eye doctor picks the strength of lense...is this better or worse. Only after that do I start to worry about trimming a model. I'm not talking about gross trim, with the trims on the transmitter, but rather engine thrust, balance and possible change in wing incidence. Because the secret to flying well is not raw talent with the sticks (though that doesn't hurt), but rather understanding and taking the time to to set up the model so it flies true.

I've seen many modelers just struggle with airplanes that they just couldn't fly well, an couldn't land in the same county. Most of the time it was just a matter of a couple adjustments, maybe a washer or two on the motor mount and fixing balance issues. Suddenly, it's like a whole new airplane for them. Whether they ever learned how to do this for themself, who knows? RCM back in the early years (60's and 70's) used to have numerous articles on the subject. Now you get to read about ARF's. Progress.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 AM
kwblake

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Too funny John!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 AM
Droiddr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John,

I like your comment about going full circle. I suppose people go crazy and buy lots of tools because they love the hobby and over-compensate. I love to keep things simple. Leave the simple stuff simple and concentrate your energy on tackling the complicated stuff.

Quote:
the vast majority of folks tends to make a big giant circle almost inevitably. Most start out with fancy box's stuffed to the gills and for some years the boxs keep getting bigger and bigger. Then at some point perhaps years most will start culling all the useless weight.
I think I will keep the basics ( starter, glow driver, pump, basic tools, fuel) in a small flight box like some of the people here have shown. The rest of the stuff that is not used as often can probably be kept in a toolbox or similar in the car.

Now on to finishing my shopping!

Search this Thread