Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

It's been thirty years

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

It's been thirty years

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
dirtybirdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's been thirty years

since i flew a plane. I flew Dirty Birdy 40 and 60 for a couple years at Mile square and camp Horno in so Cal. I just finished a World Models Super Chipmunk 90, it's a beauty but a little nervous to fly it after all these years lol. I tried a Sim at the hobby shop and did not have any problems except you cant see the runway until it's too late. I live in No Arizona and it is just toooo cold so i will wait a few weeks and prey a lot.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:16 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: It's been thirty years

Welcome back. You'll find that radios have improved dramatically since you've been away, both in reliability and function, servos are stronger, lighter, and more accurate, and electric is actually a viable alternative to glow with a slightly better power to weight ratio. The same old planes still fly as well as they ever did though, with the Dirty Birdy now available in an ARF (almost ready to fly) for the Senior Pattern Association contests.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:31 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

High DB and welcome back, Yes I remember Mile Square and a sad day it became a golf course. During that period I lived in La Puente in the sixties and flew at Whittier Narrows when it first opened.

You have a great field near you at I beleve Chino Valley and I am sure you can get someone there to help you out a bit. If you have not flown in thirty years I would not recomend you jump right back in with a maiden of a new World Chipmunk. Get some help with someone using a trainer first. Do not rely on just a sym especially if you are only just dabbling with it at the LHS. Is that the Hobby Bench or is it another owner now.

Any way if you care to mozy for an afternoon over here to Kingman just west of you I would be glad to give you some stick time on the tried and true Senior Kaydet before jumping back in with that Chipmunk.

John

Here is as link to our Club with lots of pics and vidios:

www.kingmanrcmodelers.net
Old 01-28-2013, 04:41 AM
phillipmorris

Thought this might warm you up, tho now back flying after several years enjoying a small low wing, the new Archer, completely blew the maiden landing, last better touchdown. Temps in Midwest zero degrees! Admit hands were cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXrj5...e_gdata_player
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM
33willys

We are in the same boat, it's been 40 years for me. Getting educated again is a real uphill battle. Been reading everything I can, searching the web and talking to people at the local field helps alot. Get lost in the abreaviations, new tech and new equipment. For now I have just ignored electrics altogether just to narrow the field a bit. Just reading what the transmitter will do gives me a headache. Good news is that prices are much better today than back then.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome back. I am from Fountain Valley and Huntington Beach and flew at Mile Square quite a bit. Just U-control and Free Flight back then, couldn't afford RC at that time. Back then it was still in use by the Marines during the week and we flew there on weekends. Things have only gotten better sense those days but it isn't a lot different, just better and cheaper. You can still get the original Bridi kits from Blue Jay Models on line and the prices haven't gone up a lot. Last year {or the year before?} I built the Birdy and it's still just the same as it ever was. It's now an ARF too but I haven't gotten to fly one to compare it to the kit built plane.
If I was you I would jump on Johns offer and make the drive to fly with him. A days instruction should be all you need and it wouldn't be a bad idea to set up your Monk on a buddy box and let John have the master for your first few flights. After that you should be good to go again.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
dirtybirdy

Thanks for the offer John, I know someone that will let me fly his trainer and i think i will take him up on that. If i get a chance to come to Kingman i will for sure get in touch with you.
Kelly.
ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

High DB and welcome back, Yes I remember Mile Square and a sad day it became a golf course. During that period I lived in La Puente in the sixties and flew at Whittier Narrows when it first opened.

You have a great field near you at I beleve Chino Valley and I am sure you can get someone there to help you out a bit. If you have not flown in thirty years I would not recomend you jump right back in with a maiden of a new World Chipmunk. Get some help with someone using a trainer first. Do not rely on just a sym especially if you are only just dabbling with it at the LHS. Is that the Hobby Bench or is it another owner now.

Any way if you care to mozy for an afternoon over here to Kingman just west of you I would be glad to give you some stick time on the tried and true Senior Kaydet before jumping back in with that Chipmunk.

John

Here is as link to our Club with lots of pics and vidios:

www.kingmanrcmodelers.net
Old 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM
dirtybirdy

Thanks Jester i will keep that in mind when i become a senior
ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Welcome back. You'll find that radios have improved dramatically since you've been away, both in reliability and function, servos are stronger, lighter, and more accurate, and electric is actually a viable alternative to glow with a slightly better power to weight ratio. The same old planes still fly as well as they ever did though, with the Dirty Birdy now available in an ARF (almost ready to fly) for the Senior Pattern Association contests.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure thing DB don,t hesitate to visit any time.

John
Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you like competing in things SPA doesn't require a whole lot of experience. Novice class is basically fly straight lines, do some loops and rolls and one stall turn, and land the plane. I love the discipline of it and have become a much better pilot by working on skills I wouldn't have worried about otherwise trying to meet the standards for a perfect score.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I returned from a 15 year+ layoff. I was surprised how quickly my thumbs returned to flying shape. I guess it was like riding a bike for me. I was a little, well a lot, rusty, but it didn't take long to get back in the groove.

Ken