Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New here, getting back into RC Aircraft after 10+ years

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New here, getting back into RC Aircraft after 10+ years

Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
scottydsntknow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New here, getting back into RC Aircraft after 10+ years

Hi everyone, new here and I'm wanting to get back into RC aircraft after 10+ years out of the hobby. I was VERY into it as a teenager and I just turned 30 and finally have the finances and time to dedicate to a hobby like this among other things. I see the hobby has changed a LOT since I left it. Brushless Electric motors all over the place, 2.4GHZ radios among other things. I still do have all the RC stuff at my Parents' house that I'll be picking up this week or next including a Trainer and Big Stik although I am probably going to trash the trainer and the stik and get new ARFs. I also had a Sukhoi that got ruined when their basement flooded... oh well. My plan is to get another trainer just to get back into the swing of things, get certified to fly at a local club on the trainer and then move up to a low wing sport plane.

Anyways what I still have from the late 90s is:

-Futaba 6 channel radio, receiver and servos
-Futaba 4 channel radio, reciever and servos
-OS .40 2 stroke
-OS .46 2 stroke
-OS 1.20 Surpass 4 stroke
-Chargers/starter/accessories/glow plugs/props/tires etc...

Radios and recievers just need new batteries and while not 2.4GHZ, they still work fine, just need to do the tag thing. Planning on ordering a Tower Trainer, throwing the 4 channel and .40 OS into it and rolling. After that I'm really liking the Great Planes Escapae .61 ARF for my OS Suprass 1.20 4 stroke. Looking forward to getting back into the hobby and contributing anything I can although I was never really anything more than Inermediate level as a pilot. Hopefully that'll change after I get good with the Escapade and move up to a gas powered sport plane.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Lnewqban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New here, getting back into RC Aircraft after 10+ years

Welcome to the site, Scotty !!!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to pull the backs off the glow engines and check out how much rust there is or isn't.

If they look clean, oil them and see if they turn over.

If they look just a bit rusty you can clean them.

I use "Dawn Power Dissolver" on lightly rusted engines.

I remove the carb, open the back and wash out the insides with hot water.

Then I'll squirt in Dawn Power Dissolver and let it sit for 3-4 minutes, then flush it out.

This is repeated once or twice before testing the bearings.

I'll turn the engine over very gently ( no force ) and give it another go with Dawn to dislodge anything in the bearings.

After flushing the engine out again fully I'll apply oil and lightly turn over the engine to see if there appears to be any grit in the ball bearings, indicating replacements may be needed.

If things feel smooth, you can flush out the engine with running water again, followed by WD-40 and then again by clean glow fuel to get the remaining water out ( I also sometimes employ a shop vac to pull out water ).

While the carb is out, check the nipples for debris, re-assemble and add in a few drops of after run oil.

You should be good to go then.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

scotty, Sounds like you have a good plan. I hate to throw out any airplane that can be saved so I would hold on to the old trainer and stik even with adding a new ARF trainer (unless they are truly beyond hope) to your fleet. Just me. Pass the old ones along or use them as kit bash material. Starting with a new ARF trainer and going to your local RC club are both good ideas. Apjose gave you good "old engine" advice. I would add that if any of the engines are seized or near seized (both piston and/or carburator barrel), heat them with your covering heat gun working them back and forth untill they break free adding oil as you go (after run and/or WD40). An engine test stand or similar mounting makes this EZ to do. Good luck
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Planes haven't changed at all since the 90's, so those old airframes will still serve you well unless the covering is all coming off or there's damage you don't want to fix. I'll toss this out about using the old radios- you'll probably spend $30 on a good transmitter battery only to have a radio that is worth about $10 with the battery in it in the marketplace. For about $200, you can have one of the new computerized 2.4ghz radios that have features you probably remember seeing on the $600 models from 15 years ago. The programming does improve the feel of your planes and makes setup a lot easier. Plus there's no worry that those years of humidity and thermal cycling haven't caused any deterioration on the electronics either. If you're up for spending some money, skip the shiny new plane and get the shiny new radio instead. You'll still be enjoying the transmitter long after whichever trainer you use is retired or in the trash bin.
FWIW, I personally think that Airtronics and Hitec offer the best value in the lower end market. Others see it differently of course, but you'll do fine with any of them.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM
freeonthree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your in luck Scotty, now that most have moved to 2.4 Ghz, you won't have to do any waiting to fly on any 72 Mhz channel these days. Dennis
Old 01-27-2013, 03:28 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We still use the freqency clips at our field regardless of 2.4 GHz. There is always the off chance of someone coming up on your 72 MHz frequency.. you know..... Murphy's Law.

Scotty - sounds like you have a pretty good plan there. Buy new batteries for both transmitter and receiver, though. After you are confident enough to move up to the Escapade, keep the trainer around. It's always nice to take it to the field and fly it once in a while.. nice relaxing flying with the trainer, however, it gets you back to basics after flying a more capable plane.

CGr