Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Rebuilding the Super Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Rebuilding the Super Cub

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 AM
Boostedrexx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding the Super Cub

Ok so After lookin around at other planes to pick up I decided to just rebuild my super cub.Ok so servos,esc/rx,motor where toasted after a water crash.I replaced the motor with the stock cub motor.Instead of buying the stock rx/esc combo for 50 I decided to pick up a 20a esc and hooked it up to my futaba rx.I replaced the servo's with factory ones aswell.All I have left to buy are batteries.Now the stock battery is a 11.1 V 3s 1300mah battery.I was looking on hobbyking and found the same one in spec made turnigy but for way cheaper which is expected.After scrolling down a bit I found this battery
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Lipo_Pack.html

Now the difference is the mah is more which means longer flight time and so is the discharge.Now I know the esc can handle that but can the factory brushed motor handle the increased discharge??

also any other ideas welcomed
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Rebuilding the Super Cub

ORIGINAL: Boostedrexx

.Now I know the esc can handle that but can the factory brushed motor handle the increased discharge??

also any other ideas welcomed
Absolutely. the motor is going to pull what it needs.
you'll run into issues when the battery is NOT able to supply the demands of the motor.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Boostedrexx

Thank you for your response
Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was a rebuild.. .was there structural damage or just replacing electronics?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 PM
jetmech05

Electricity is very lazy..its whole purpose is to return to its source...it will do the minimum to get there.....what I am saying is you can hook up your motor to a geneartor capable of 10000000000000 amps and the motor is only going to get what it needs as long as the voltage is correct
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 AM
Osen007

Youtube brushless super cub. I bought whole kit for $90 brushless setup and with flying off the water it's in the air in 3feet.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You can't damage your electronics by going to a higher capacity battery as long as the voltage stays the same, but you're going to add significant weight by going to that bigger battery which will affect your CG and flight characteristics. Before spending your money, compare the weights and if you can, put the old battery into the plane and then add the extra to see what you'll wind up with. You may find that after the extra weight of the new battery, you also have to add weight to fix the CG. For a plane that small, just a few ounces can turn a nice flyer into a dog.