Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Getting back after 3 years

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Getting back after 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
chopper man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back after 3 years

Hey guys, hope all is well. Short update. Those that have been around awhile, rc ken and other. To many to mention. My wife passed away in 2007 leaving me and my 7 year old daughter to take care of ourselves. My daughter and I keeled fling up tp 2010 then I met a beautiful woman and eventually got married. My daughter noes has a new loving mom and once again life is good.

Now my question. Transmitter batteries seemed to charge up ok, but what should I do to test them to see if they are still good? Also what about receiver batteries? I have some new batteries that are about 3 years old that I!m trying to charge now. Is it going to be a waste of time though.

Thanks for your help and I!m glad to be back.

Chopper
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Getting back after 3 years

I think for the price of new batteries these days I would start with fresh new ones, You live in the same town as my very best friend George Hicks and he is an R/C guy. Look him up and get his opinion as well. Best of luck to you and congrats on the new lady in your life.

Bob
Old 01-16-2013, 04:35 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chopper man

Hey guys, hope all is well. Short update. Those that have been around awhile, rc ken and other. To many to mention. My wife passed away in 2007 leaving me and my 7 year old daughter to take care of ourselves. My daughter and I keeled fling up tp 2010 then I met a beautiful woman and eventually got married. My daughter noes has a new loving mom and once again life is good.

Now my question. Transmitter batteries seemed to charge up ok, but what should I do to test them to see if they are still good? Also what about receiver batteries? I have some new batteries that are about 3 years old that I!m trying to charge now. Is it going to be a waste of time though.

Thanks for your help and I!m glad to be back.

Chopper
Sorry to hear about your grief. Also, very happy to hear about your the new love in your life. Best wishes for you.

Things have not changed all that much, but if you had NiMh or NiCd packs, well, yeah, you can replace them easily enough. A new technology, A123 or LiFePO4 commonly called LIFE packs are out. They are safer than LiPo packs and, watt for watt, they are lighter than the other technology packs. They are 3.3 volts per cell so a two cell pack is 6.6 volts (nominal) and will work with most receivers that will handle 6 volt or five cell NiMh or NiCd packs. I have four of them in the 1800 mah range and they work great.

For transmitter packs, well, you have to pretty much go with what fits in your transmitter. Tower Hobbies may be able to help with that.

Welcome back!!!

CGr.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chopper man, If you have a battery cycler such as an "Accu-cycle" I would cycle them and then test with a "load tester". Tower Hobbies sells both items. If in doubt replace them. It's not worth a bad day at the field due to a destroyed aircraft. Welcome back and best of luck to you down there in Pooler.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 PM
GaryHarris

Sorry for your loss and am glad for your new found love, and welcome back. I would suggest all of the above as the others did. I would replace the batteries just to be safe. Plus I have never trusted wall warts and exclusively use a decent grade cycle charger. They are worth every penny!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 AM
chopper man

Thanks. I really didn't want to spend the money but I also realize buying new batteries is the best option. Looking forward dusting off the planes and getting them back into the air. Other than a good cleaning and preflight is there anything else I should ready do before firing them up?

Chopper
Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 PM
bikerbc

Yes putting new fuel lines in would be a good idea ...The ones inside your tank too...You might find it easier to replace the tanks ...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:08 PM
chopper man

Well I got them all cleaned up, ordered new batteries and started looking them over. On one of the planes the throttle body is frozen. I diconnected the pushrod and gently tried to break it free. I didn't want to froce it so I really didn't put alot of pressure. I was going to take the engine off of the mount and soak it in something but I'm not sure what to soak it in. The engine is a Thunder Tiger 4 stroke.
Thanks for your help.
chopper
Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

If you have some fuel laying around, that's what I do. A day or so soaking in a jar of glow fuel will usually loosen them up. Probably wouldn't hurt to pull the glow plug and soak the whole engine.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just heat up the throttle/carb with a heat gun to loosen it then start the engine and run it for a while. If it runs then your OK, if not then I soak it completely for a few days then open it up and clean it completely with alcohol and a rag. Just running it heats up the engine and loosens up the old castor oil gunk.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:28 AM
bikerbc

Sorry I double posted
Old 02-27-2013, 07:47 AM
chopper man

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope I can get to it before the weekend. I would love to get into the air this weekend. Like I said it would be 3 years since I have flown. With that in mind your thoughts on flying solo or buddy box it? I would say that I was a fairly experienced pilot before the break. Is it like riding a bike?
Thanks for the input.

chopper
Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM
hugger-4641

Nope, just like balance can be lost and be a bit shaky the first time you get on a bicycle again, reflexes and muscle memory can be lost after a few weeks or months of inactivity. They should come back quickly, but may not be quick enough to survive your first flight.!!Much safer to go up on a buddy box and see how quickly it comes back to you before you push the limit!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 AM
bikerbc

Defnitly buddy box it .. When I came back it was almost harder than the first time I started . Mind I took 25 yrs off and went full size flying...But even after 3 yrs I would buddy box it..After all what can it hurt ?
Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 AM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just got back into it after 25 yrs of no fly., put my high wing trainer up like nothin, just like riding a bike, now back to flying my aerobatic bipe.
Charge your batteries turn everything on and see how long it takes before servos start jumping, lay a weight across the joysticks to false load the servos, repeat and discharge time should get better each time, if not you'll have to buy new bats.
I'm sure some some guys will find fault with these nethods but I remeber a time of having to scrape the bottom just for a jug of fuel so I had to be thrifty.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:03 PM
chopper man

Well I don't have to worry about today. Way to cold and windy. Have not even had a chance to work on the engine so I will have to wait until next weekend.
Chopper
Old 03-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I took one of my old students up on the box and trainer after he was off for a year, one flight and he was OK again. Shouldn't take you long to get the feel back again.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:30 AM
koastrc

You know Gray Beard that is how it goes most of the time, BUT there is some exceptions. I have done a lot of instructing over the years. One thing I think I have come to understand is not all people are the same. Have you ever worked with someone and they just had a hard time with it. Some make it so hard I just want to throw my hands up and walk off. I never did walk off, just wanted to. I wonder some time if other people that teach ask the same questions I do. Do you, or anyone else that teach, learn from each student. Not about flying. About the way we are. The club members were kind of hard on me for spending to much time with this one man. I would say he was in his mid sixties. He has become a fine pilot and great flying buddy. How come it took so long? I have found out over time he had polio as a youth and life has been a struggle. Now I feel nothing but pride when I see him fly.
Do we really take time to know who we are trying to help. Now I do. I was just thinking if any others do the same. Thank you and all the people that give up their time to teach. This is truly a great activity to share.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM
chopper man

Well it wasn't easy but I finally got the throttle body free. Even heating it took some time. I landed up with a cracked throttle arm. The ring part that fits on the carb cracked. Any way to avoid buying a new one by glueing or is that to risky? The engine is a thunder tiger 4 stroke.
Thanks

Chopper
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Great story koastrc, blessings and thanks for sharing.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Redback

I managed to make a new throttle arm for a TT 130 four stroke by hacking it out of a piece of aluminum with a hacksaw, drill and file. Took a bit of effort but the new ones better than the old one!

Terry
Old 03-07-2013, 05:19 PM
chopper man

I think I will try to cut something out. Thanks for the idea. Really do not want to spend 6 dollars shipping for a 3 dollar part. Plus I was hoping to fly this weekend. Part would never shop up in time.

Chopper
Old 03-08-2013, 03:58 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Redback

I managed to make a new throttle arm for a TT 130 four stroke by hacking it out of a piece of aluminum with a hacksaw, drill and file. Took a bit of effort but the new ones better than the old one!

Terry
Also I think you can use phenolic (sp?). It is workable and I have made several arms out of it. Depending on the arm, it can be glued to a previous arm if it is broken and you form it correctly. I have a belt sander and that helps, although throttle arms can be so small it makes it more difficult and tedious work. It is super easy on gas engine carbs, but not as much on glow engines.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM
chopper man

Well I was able to make a throttle arm out of sheet metal. Came out pretty good. I went out yesterday and had a friend spot me. I could feel the rust but things went really well. Kept it simple and just did simple pattern flying. Also got up the courage and flew my Dago Red. Pretty happy with the way the day went. Everything back home in one piece. Luckily for me it was just like riding a bike. Dust of the webs and carry on

Gene
Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 PM
hugger-4641

Congrats! Glad you're back up and havin fun again!