Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Alpha 40 Prop Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Alpha 40 Prop Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: New Alpha 40 Prop Problem

It's secondary to any other insurance you may have, including a personal liability rider on your homeowners. That doesn't mean you don't need it if you have homeowner's insurance though. The vast majority of club fields require AMA membership, partly because of the insurance and partly because of the things AMA does for the hobby. Most fields wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the work the AMA has done over the years, so clubs rightly push the membership to support them. I know a lot of guys complain about the $60 a year it costs for AMA (some even complain that you have to pay club dues to fly but land ain't free), especially after already spending so much on a plane and everything to go with it, but once you get over that initial hump you'll find that you spend more on fuel and repairs annually than you do on AMA membership.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: smitdoshi

it would be nice if they have equipment i can use at these clubs so i dont have to spend so much money on all the equipents. I was looking into some clubs and they all say they do not insure.
Does that mean i have to buy insurance? Do i need to buy insurance? if so does anyone know from who and how much it would be (average)??
Some clubs have a trainer and buddy box just for teaching new members/pilots how to fly. Some clubs will require you to be a member of the AMA so you are insured right away and some will allow you to learn to fly before you join the club or the AMA. Each club has different rules. One club I had joined allowed you to learn first then on the day of your solo you were requred to join the AMA then the club if you wanted to fly there.
I teach new people to fly on a dry lake bed using my trainer and equipment, no club and AMA isn't required, it's a good idea to join though. My only requirements are you must be over 16 and driving and you must provide your own glow fuel. I tell the students what fuel I want them to buy and I tell them when and where it is on sale. Contact the clubs in your area and ask if they have a club trainer and instructor. Not all clubs do.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:34 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fly210sv

An 11x5 master airscrew works great on the alpha 40. You really need to get an electric starter, you will be surprised how well it works. The alpha 40 is a great trainer. Just get rid of the 3 blade prop.
MAS props are great for trainers because they take ground strikes and don't chip or break like APC's do. This is important as you'll have prop strikes while learning to land.

The prop I use on .46 size trainers is the Hobbico NextStar prop. It's an 11x5 and extremely tough, and on the Alpha's I've had that's what I've run. The thing this prop has going for it is the red tips which are easy to see while it's idling - when learning to start your motor it helps remind you of the danger of the Ginsu knives spinning around there which can really bit even at idle.

Hogflyer
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said, you'll experience much less frustration and learn much more quickly if you see help from a local club. It seems like you don't have the propeller installed correctly and the engine is in need of a tuning. Someone with experience can help you with these things. Additionally, they can give your plane a once-over to insure that it's airworthy. From there, seek out the club's instructor so you can learn properly from day one.

As for insurance, join the AMA. You'll need the membership to fly at most all clubs.

Given that you're starting out with a glow fuel plane, you don't want to screw around with trial and error. You may hurt yourself or someone else.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No disrespect, but it seems to me like you shouldn't be messing with your plane until you get help!!!!
You plane needs to be checked and flown by a professional first
1) Join AMA (its required and a must!)
2) Buy a simulator and practice, practice, practice!
3) Go to a local club and talk to their instructor, he/she will guide you in the right direction and help you
4) Enjoy your new plane

And last but not least, practice, practice, practice. A simulator is a great tool to learn on and will save you a lot of money and headaches in the long run.

Best regards,
Ed
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just invest in a step prop reamer. It works on wood or nylon. The prop should just slide on the shaft, not be threaded on. Do this, and you wont thro a prop again...
good luck
d