Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Alpha 40 Prop Problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Alpha 40 Prop Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:25 PM
smitdoshi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Alpha 40 Prop Problem

Hello,
I am new to RC Community and just picked up my first RC Plane.
I got the Hanger 9 Alpha 40 after reading reviews and suggestions.

I got everything ready and when i turn on my Plane or try to my Prop comes off the plane and goes flying.

I have followed all the instructions from the manual (see link page 12) http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/HAN4400-Manual.pdf
I have tightened the screw as much as i can but when the engine is just about to turn on the prop goes flying. The NUT comes off completely
and i no longer know what to do.
Any suggestion??
i did notice the Nut is not threaded or anything not sure if that makes a difference?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM
jetmech05

Default RE: New Alpha 40 Prop Problem

Heres how the prop should be assembled. spinner back plate, prop, thrust washer, nut. spinner...the nut should have threads and so should the end of the crankshaft. tighten the nut by using a wrench, not a glow plug 4 way, until it hurts your hand from holding the prop
Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM
smitdoshi

Thank You for that, Those are the same steps i took to install it
Unfortunately the Nut that goes after the Washer does not have threads. This Nut came with the plane but not sure what i should do now??
should i try to find another Nut that has threads?
Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 PM
jetmech05

sure as long as it is the same threads....and hardness do you have a local hobby shop nearby? they might have what you need or someone at your field
Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 PM
smitdoshi

I do, ill try going there tomorrow and see if they have anything for me.
Other than that do i need to do anything else? or any other advice for a beginner?
BTW- when the plane runs out of fuel during flight is there some kind of indicator? does the prop just turn off and i land the plane?
Really do appreciate your help
Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you maybe have an experienced pilot to help you out with your new plane?? Your going to require help in not only flying the plane but even starting it. Simple things like getting the controls working in the correct directions can be confusing.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:48 PM
smitdoshi

Not really. which is why im doing as much research as i can before i start flying. i have been told to tie the back of the plane down an play with the controls on the ground so i get a good sense on how everything works.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:23 PM
smitdoshi

OK so i found a threaded nut that fits perfectly on the plane and we are all good on that. 
I did however come across another issue!!!
I am having a hard time turning the motor on. i was able to get it to come on two times and had it running fine. The problem is it is now taking me about 20 minutes to get it to power on. i unfortunately do not have that power starter, 
1) i put my glow stick on the glow plug. 
2) spin the prop about 6 times 
3) turn on the remote and put the throttle about half was (i have tried all kinds of throttle)
4) spin the blade with the start stick

The plane seems to want to turn on for a split second but doesent get going. 
Was just wondering if there is an easier way of doing this or a better way?
any suggestions?
Thanks 

Old 02-10-2013, 03:44 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: smitdoshi

Yes a much better way. type in your zip code here:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

and find your nearest club to seek real hands on help You are in need of a hands on mentor without which your chances of success are very slim. You can research untill you are blue in the face but that will not change the fact you will need local help.

Get Help

John
Old 02-10-2013, 04:27 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Yes a much better way. type in your zip code here:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

and find your nearest club to seek real hands on help You are in need of a hands on mentor without which your chances of success are very slim. You can research untill you are blue in the face but that will not change the fact you will need local help.

Get Help

John
I agree with John, you really need to find some assistance. We had a young fellow bring over an Alpha to our club and he had some of the same issues. His prop would fly off, would lock up on the washer, could not get the engine started, etc.

Before the second trip to the field we were able to get him airborn and actually had him buddy boxed and flying some simply circuits. He has not soloed yet as it was close to winter, but his plane is ok now and he is working on soloing this year - unless he does not come back. Some times young folks lose interest and move on to other things in life.

You would do well to get some help and I assure you, for the most part, it will save you some big time dollars and you will enjoy this hobby so much more! I still have my Alpha 40 from over three years ago because I sought out some help.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:07 AM
my05monte

You need to prime the engine before you put the glow starter on
1) Manually open throttle wide open. DO NOT INSTALL GLOW DRIVER!!!
2) Put your thumb over carb opening and turn prop over while watching the fuel line to carb
3) When the line is full of fuel, spin prop one more time
4) Install glow driver and set throttle about 1/3 open
5) Using your chicken stick, spin prop till engine starts
This is a generic starting procedure so check with then engine manual on the specifics for your engine. I will also suggest you get with a club to help you along. There may be other issues that can cause harm to yourself or the total destuction of your plane on its maiden flight. Believe me, you'll enjoy this hobby a lot more with the help of others at the field
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 AM
mniesen89

Smit, first off, I'll say it again as everyone has said it already, find an instructor. I've been using this plane for about two months now, and it truly is a great plane. Starting the engine for mine was a little difficult at first just because of the little blue collar around the needle valve. It makes the needle
E valve ridiculously hard to turn. This is for a reason,  so a beginner doesn't just walk up and start cranking it one way or another. This is again why you need an experienced instructor to tune the engine for you. I ended up just taking the blue collar off all together to make the adjustment easier when needed.

As far as the flight characteristics of this plane, it is most definitely a smooth flier and wants to easily correct back to level flight on its own. This of course is after it is trimmed properly. Which is another why you need an instructor. It does land a little bit fast for a trainer.

For the prop....those evo props break incredibly easy and there expensive. Mark my words when I say you are going to break it. Do your self a favor and get a 2 blade and a new nose cone. Grab 4 or 5 props for that matter. I've had one master air screw on it and have yet to break it.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM
spd101

Keep doing your research and reading as much as you can. I know it can be difficult starting out but it is always best to get some help. Everyone keeps saying that not because they dont think you are capable but mostly not wanting a possible new person in this hobby to crash and get discouraged. I tried it by myself at first and crashed first flight. Was so bummed about it i gave it up for almost 10 years. Next time i got with a local club, got trained and have been enjoying the hobby every since. Just know everyone is hoping for your success.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:17 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

Thank You for that, Those are the same steps i took to install it
Unfortunately the Nut that goes after the Washer does not have threads. This Nut came with the plane but not sure what i should do now??
should i try to find another Nut that has threads?
Thanks
Yes, at your local hobby shop.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
smitdoshi

Wow, what an amazing community. 
Thank you all very much for all your help here. 
I am going to find a local club for me to join and get  all the help i can. it's not the cheapest hobby out there so going to take all the precautions i can to make sure my plane and i both survive in this exciting hobby
Thank You all once again
Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are welcome smitdoshi and it sounds like you will be getting over that most important first decision and hurdle. I am sure you will do fine and we will be hearing more of your adventures.

John[8D]
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM
fly210sv

An 11x5 master airscrew works great on the alpha 40. You really need to get an electric starter, you will be surprised how well it works. The alpha 40 is a great trainer. Just get rid of the 3 blade prop.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Electric starters can be had pretty cheaply on Ebay and often on craigslist. Truth be told in the long run, the electric starter will pay for itself in props you don't ruin by hand flipping and certainly in the time you save not fidgeting with an ornery engine. If you have a jumpstart device for your car the battery in that is plenty to operate the starter. Otherwise you'll need a 12v power source.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 PM
jetmech05

If you put the glow stick on and then spun the prop you're lucky your fingers are still intact ...please stop and nothing more until you have an instructor
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad I'm not the only one that caught that. If he goes to a club there is usually a lot of stuff given to a new pilot so they don't have to buy it. A starter may be one of the items. If set up correctly and primed most engines are easy to start hand flipping but a starter is much easier for a new person to use. Find the helper!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 PM
smitdoshi

I always used that Hanger 9 Start stick never my hands. But you are right i am going to do it right and get help from an experiance pilot
Old 02-10-2013, 10:56 PM
smitdoshi

it would be nice if they have equipment i can use at these clubs so i dont have to spend so much money on all the equipents. I was looking into some clubs and they all say they do not insure.
Does that mean i have to buy insurance? Do i need to buy insurance? if so does anyone know from who and how much it would be (average)??
Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 AM
spd101

Joining the academy of model aeronotics AMA includes insurance coverage and it is reasonably priced. Got to their website to get the info you need. Keep is updated on your quest
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 AM
johndavis

from what ive heard  its secondary to your home owners insurance.  is that right?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's secondary to any other insurance you may have, including a personal liability rider on your homeowners. That doesn't mean you don't need it if you have homeowner's insurance though. The vast majority of club fields require AMA membership, partly because of the insurance and partly because of the things AMA does for the hobby. Most fields wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the work the AMA has done over the years, so clubs rightly push the membership to support them. I know a lot of guys complain about the $60 a year it costs for AMA (some even complain that you have to pay club dues to fly but land ain't free), especially after already spending so much on a plane and everything to go with it, but once you get over that initial hump you'll find that you spend more on fuel and repairs annually than you do on AMA membership.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.