Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Building board for kit?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Building board for kit?

Old 12-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Clackamas Hillbilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building board for kit?

Hi All

I built an Eagle II about 30 years ago and now I'm getting ready to build a Kadet. I was wondering what everybody's favorite board is to build on? Last time I used a ceiling drop tile, but the two closest hardware stores in my area don't carry them. One of them even warned me to call ahead to Home Depot in the city as they may not have them either.

What's a good alternative to a drop ceiling tile? I bought a 35x23 cork bulletin board last night only to discover that the fuse won't even fit on the board. I may just return it and find something more fitting.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2019, 03:56 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Check your various building supply places for "Homasote 440". Home Depot does not list it. It's a fibreboard sound deadening material - perfect for holding pins. You can get it as large as 4x8. Many places sell pre-cut smaller pieces, also. Inexpensive, easy to cut to size, if you need to.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:16 PM
Clackamas Hillbilly

Thank you!
Old 12-23-2019, 06:26 AM
Skyhawk940

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use some wax paper between the plans and the wood so the glued parts don't stick to the plans.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Clackamas Hillbilly

FYI, I ended up salvaging a 48"x24" piece of 2" thick Styrofoam wall insulation and am using that for a building board. It may not be the best, but it was free and that's good enough for me.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:41 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Also very important is having a building board that is flat and straight. A hollow core door works, but you may have to build a frame to straighten it. Then you can lay your homasote on top of it.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:55 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I use a solid core door and using drywall screws to attach the homasote. The drywall screws allow the two different materials to expand and contract without warping the door.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Clackamas Hillbilly

Thank you again everybody; next week I will look into purchasing some homasote; I already have several spare hollow core doors from my days of construction and remodeling. Today I added a second 48" light fixture to my work shop so that I could see the plans better. One step at a time.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:42 PM
damonwill

I just use the Styrofoam. Works great and cheap...