Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Is Ultra Stick 40 Good 2nd Plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Is Ultra Stick 40 Good 2nd Plane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 12:35 AM
UltraMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Ultra Stick 40 Good 2nd Plane?

I just bought a Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 40. I was just curious how this plane is going to handle when it leaves the ground. I am pretty good with my trainer, i can do just about any areobatic move a trainer can do.

Thanks

I included a pic, if anybody cares.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65093.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	61810  
Old 09-17-2003, 01:50 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Is Ultra Stick 40 Good 2nd Plane?

You'll love it! It's a great, easy to fly airplane that'll keep you interested for a long, long time. I've had one for a year and a half now, and have enjoyed it a great deal.

I would replace the stock fuel tank. I read much advice to do that when I got mine, and decided I probably didn't need to do it. I was wrong. It's much easier to replace the tank before it bursts than afterwards. Also think about putting some thinned epoxy on the wing dowels and the hold-down holes. They'll burn otherwise. Just a light coating should help.

Welcome to RCU!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:00 AM
CarolinaCrasher

It a an awesome plane and great second choice, but like MikeL said replace the tank. I didn't and mine decided to split and leak all through the inside of the plane. Have fun with the new stick
Old 09-17-2003, 09:01 AM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

I'm on my 2nd UltraStick (they don't survive full speed uncontrolled dives into 2 feet of water too well) and I love this thing. Heck, I'm "scratch" building a bigger version of one right now, in fact. I am pretty close to positive that you will love this plane. Just do a search on here for UltraStick and do at least most of the mods that are listed.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:01 PM
hiflyn72

I used an ultrastick 60 for my second plane, Excellent choice. Flies well, easy to handle, will do all you ask.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:03 PM
randy41

I hope its better than the 2 hanger 9 planes that i
did used to own. I had the cessna 182 and the
cheerokee piper and they were terriable ARF
kits. They flew ok but was a Bit@@ to build
for a arf. I BUILD NOTHING BUT SIG PLANES
NOW. Been in this hobby for 32 years and
have built every thing under the sun and
I ve learned sig mfg kits caint be beat
in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:28 PM
jon.emmons

You'll love the Ultra Stick!!! I bought one as a second plane earlier this summer. Wanted a second plane that I wouldn't get bored of, and WOW, did I!

Tragically, last weekend I powdered it, full throttle into the ground due to radio lockout. Total loss, but it was such a good plane I will own another one by spring. What are you throwing in it for an engine?

I built mine almost completely stock. A little more reenforcement where it looked like it needed it, but that's about it. The fuel tank didn't become a problem, but I will say it ruptured in 3 places as a result of the crash. On the next one I will replace the tank.

My biggest recommendation is keep the throws low, well under recommended, at first. Believe me, when you throw that high rate switch, you'll know it.

Enjoy the Stick. Let us know how you like it!

jon
Old 09-20-2003, 01:00 AM
UltraMan

I am putting a OS 46 FX. I hope it will be enough power.. Thanks for all the help guys.

Chris
Old 09-20-2003, 01:02 PM
jon.emmons

I think a 46 FX will be great for that! It's a fairly light plane, all things considered. If you get bored of it with the 46, consider a tower 75! No, really... that's what I had in mine. Moved the battery and tail servos to the rear of the fuselage to counterbalance and the whole plane still only weighed a little over 6 pounds.

In retrospect, the 75 made it a bit much to handle for a second plane, but I learned a lot quickly (including throttle management.) Really, that plane should crank with anything over a 40 in it. Have fun!

jon
Old 09-20-2003, 04:30 PM
Denjones

I have a OS 46FX and use an APC 11 x 5 and have almost unlimited vertical. It's a grin.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:40 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Tower Motors [:'(]

The .46 should be great, if you want an even better motor go with the Y.S. .63 or the Saito .72
Old 09-20-2003, 11:33 PM
jmps
My Feedback: (2)

I am considering the Ultra Stick, the Four Star, and the Tiger II as my second plane. I started with an Avistar and have been flying it all season. I have gotten very comfortable with it. What plane between the three I listed would offer the most progression potential for next season? I know the last two are low wings but I am not sure they are as challenging as the Ultra Stick. Thanks for your help on this choice.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:18 PM
BigSky
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Fuel Tank......Arrrggghh!

Of course I just read this thread today.

I got my new Futaba 9caf a couple of days ago so needless to say I have been busy re-programing all of my models into it. Well I got everything pretty close on the bench so it was time to go out and startem up. Now my Ultra Stick was given to me already built from my step dad. He was making some room for a new project and asked if I wanted it. So I took it put new servos in it and I had an OS .46 la sitting around and threw it in. Actualy for what the engine is worth it dosen't pull that plane around too bad.

Anyway, I started it up in the yard and to my suprise my trims were pretty darn good the way they were. I was playing around, it had been a while since that engine had been run, taxing up and down my driveway for awhile. It was running great so I decided to clean her up and put her away to fly later this week. I pumped all of the remaining fuel out and proceeded to start wiping it down. When I tipped the tail up fuel started to run out the front of the fuse.

I thought to myself "well ****! That just figures." I remembered what I had read earlier in this thread.
[quote][I would replace the stock fuel tank. I read much advice to do that when I got mine, and decided I probably didn't need to do it. I was wrong. It's much easier to replace the tank before it bursts than afterwards. /quote]

Oh well !