Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

CG based on change in weight

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

CG based on change in weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:12 PM
chadxp1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG based on change in weight

what if my plane weighs heavier then the manufactures plane? do I balance at manufacture CG or will this change? Can one figure out where the fuselag's CG is separte from the wing then marry the two points? I have to admit. I dont have a good understanding of this.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:41 PM
1320Fastback

Default RE: CG based on change in weight

The Center of Gravity remains in the same spot reguardless of how heavy the plane is.
CG is a formula based on certain dimensions of the wings and tail and so forth. The weight is not a factor.

Do what you have to to get the CG at the recommended spot. Adding or removing weight from the nose or tail.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:16 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In other words, what affects CG is a change in weight in the nose or the tail. Overall changes in weight do not necessarily change the CG unless, as I said, the change took place in the nose or the tail. Then re-doing the balance with the old CG point is necessary by changing weight in the nose to compensate for changes in the tail and vice versa.

CGr.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 AM
jetmech05

1320 is correct CG is an aircraft set formula. Not weight set formula. I usually come in on the heavy side myself. Weight is your enemy can you lighten anything? Don't try to add weight to set CG until you have exhausted all possibilities moving components around inside the airplane
Old 04-01-2013, 04:28 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No matter what the plane weighs, you want the CG where the manufacturer said it should be (or, better, where an online CG calculator says it should be).

The OP's question isn't really "does changing weight change the CG?," it's "does changing weight change the point where you want the CG to be?" The answer to the first question is "maybe or maybe not, depending on where in the plane the weight changes occurred." The answer to the second question is "no."