Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

need instructor in Northeast Alabama

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

need instructor in Northeast Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:37 PM
DukePiles
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need instructor in Northeast Alabama

I live in DeKalb County Alabama and I'm in need of an instructor to help me to learn how to fly. I've been practicing on a simulator for several months. I got a flyzone switch to train with but i tried to self train and it ended bad lol went to the crcc swap meet and got a good deal on a ep balsa trainer. i have to get a couple things to get it flight ready. landing gear and esc but will have it soon. any direction or help would be greatly appreciated. i have a dx6i as my tx.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: need instructor in Northeast Alabama

Duke, Go to the AMA web site, go to the "find a club" button, punch in your zip code and how many mile radius you want to search (25 mi, 50 mi, 100 mi, etc) and it will give you a list of all the AMA flying clubs in that radius. I know there are plenty in Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee that are close to you. Pick one and join it, and AMA. They will teach you to fly. Good luck
Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM
carrellh

Most AMA chartered clubs have volunteer instructors who will get you in the air safely and protect your investment while you are learning.
Enter your zip code at http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx to locate clubs in your area, if crcc is not local to you or if you want more choices. I used 35968 (Fort Wayne) and it found two clubs within 25 miles. Some clubs have web sites linked. All have an email link and/or phone number.
Over the years I have seen dozens of "I emailed a club and never got a reply" posts so I always suggest using the phone number for initial contact.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I'm sure there are good instructors closer to you , but if for some reason you can't find one, drive on up here to West Tn and we'll help you!
Old 04-10-2013, 03:55 PM
DukePiles

Thanks for the info everyone. do most clubs make you join them to help you get started? just curious because if i cant learn to fly lol. also it will be about a hundred bucks to join both the AmA and the local club here.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:32 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's up to the club what their policy is, but it seems that majority will train you without you paying anything but won't let you fly solo until you have a membership and AMA. We all understand that guys want to try it before spending their money, and we also understand that if you go through training you'll probably like it.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM
DukePiles

Thank you jester... And i went in head first and demolished the first plane[&o]
Old 04-11-2013, 02:15 PM
carrellh

At one time AMA had a 90 day membership for 20 bucks, upgradeable to full year with no penalty.
If your chosen club participates in the AMA Intro Pilot program you should be able to train for a certain amount of time without joining anything.

Our club does not have intro pilots so the minimum requirement would be AMA membership. Club membership is not pushed until the student is ready to solo. We have had some (very few) students take advantage of the free training and then disappear. That always annoys the instructors, and we lost one instructor because of it. He continues to help any member every way he can but no longer takes on new students.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:01 PM
davidgeorge212

In case you haven't found your local rc club already, it's called dekalb rc flyers. I have been there and seems like a great club. Website is www.dekalbrcflyers.com

I believe its located right off i59 going back towards 11. Dues are only 30 dollars
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DukePiles

Thanks for the info everyone. do most clubs make you join them to help you get started? just curious because if i cant learn to fly lol. also it will be about a hundred bucks to join both the AmA and the local club here.
You stated that you wiped out your first plane, what did that cost to replace after 1 (? ) attempt ??? If an instructor saves you twice, your ahead money wise, don't be " penny wise and dollar foolish ". join the club . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 04-11-2013, 06:05 PM
DukePiles

thanks all i found the dekalb flyers. i left a message and sent a email just waiting for a reply. also, i drove by the other day after work place looked nice but it was locked up.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 PM
stevenmax50

i am a dekalb rc member.  call me at 256-845-9499.  that is my business in ft payne.  21st Century Tan.  if a guy answers the phone its me.  if a woman answers, its my wife or our 1 employee.  they will give you my cell number if you tell them you are an rc guy.  and we will be glad to welcome you to the club and teach you to fly.  nobody charges for that.  

Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't let the one crash rattle you Dukepiles. I spent a year in the hobby just flying circuits because I was so afraid of crashing after piling one in. Listen to your instructor, ask questions about anything you aren't 100% sure of, and enjoy the learning process.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 AM
DukePiles

Stevenmax i will be in touch with you as soon as i can, working alot of over time at the moment. thank you
Old 04-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Fosterthiele
Banned

Thanks for these articles, i have learned a lot, you know i am a teacher just have know idea of students using cell phones during classes, a friend advice me to buy a cell phone jammer, and give me a website http://www.jammerall.com/, he said it is very cool there. but i hesitate, now i decide to get one from there, thank you!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 PM
stevenmax50

duke, we just had our monthly club meeting tonight.  look us up on dekalb rc flyers.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

I met several of the Dekalb R/C guys at the Perry swap meet in Perry, GA a few years ago.  I noticed one of their jackets and started up a conversation as my Mom's family is from Dekalb Co.  Great bunch of guys!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 PM
DukePiles

I was wanting to go but couldnt make it. I joined the Ama and sent a email thru the club site about joining. Can i send a money order rather than a check or can i pay someone in person?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:55 AM
stevenmax50

just bring a check or cash when you come to the field.  any club officer will help you.  i heard our website has finally been updated and has the list of current officers.  check it out.  btw, i have constructed a new shop at my house.  give me a call when you can come by.  i have airplanes all over the place in various stages of completion.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:29 PM
DukePiles

Already got it taken care of, I met up with Mr. Shriner this past Saturday and paid my dues. Actually got my membership card today lol I have been out there flying a couple times. Greg Owens was out there and was a great help in getting my planes set up and flying. He talked me thru my first successful landing. I went out Sunday and crashed my Alpha 450.. It lost power while inverted. I'm going to wait on getting a new one until I see what every one has for sale this weekend.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

You made your first successful landing Saturday and you crashed Sunday while flying inverted?  Go ahead brother!  You da man!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 PM
DukePiles

Lol i've flown a handful of times but have never landed until last Tuesday. Last Friday i flew 2 packs inverted with no hiccups but ,,, Sunday was the bad day.