Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which stick for flaps?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which stick for flaps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Which stick for flaps?

I have a non computer 7ch Futaba radio, and just set up flaps on the Gull wing scratch built 60 size plane.
My 6th and 7th channel have verticle trim levers, one on the left one on the right, I currently set the flaps up with 2 servos and a Y harness tied the channel on the right lever, with lever fully trimmed up the flaps are neutral, as I pull the lever down the flaps deploy proportionally.
I'm now wondering if it mignt be better to have the flaps operate on the left lever, that way I don't have to take my hand off the elevator control and can deplay the flaps with my left thumb off the throttle/rudder stick momentarily and already have my thumb on the elevator just in case something funky happens. How are you guys doing it?
Old 04-16-2013, 04:00 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which stick for flaps?

I don't like flaps on the rotary pots (lever or knob) and I program it onto a 3-position switch for zero flap, low, flap, full flap....BUT since you have an analog transmitter you can't do that.
When I had flaps on a rotary I adjusted it using my left hand and now the 3-position switch is on the left side too.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:12 PM
a70eliminator

Thanks flyin that helps confirm my thinking to keep them on the left as to not intereupt input to my elevator. easy enough just plug it into ch7 rather than 6.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: a70eliminator
I'm now wondering if it mignt be better to have the flaps operate on the left lever, that way I don't have to take my hand off the elevator control and can deplay the flaps with my left thumb off the throttle/rudder stick momentarily and already have my thumb on the elevator just in case something funky happens. How are you guys doing it?

You shouldn't release the sticks ever. Learn to hold the stick under a thumb pad and flick the switches or roll sliders &knobs with your finger tips.

Iuse either the gear switch for a flap switch on fixed gear models or use a slider for the flaps. On models with flaperons that also allows them to function as spoilerons - which will often be preferable for flat bottom or semi-symmetricalwing models to shorten approach.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A70 You made some smart choices with the avalible transmitter. As you suspected and Flyinwalinda suggested the left side is the appropriate place and for the reason you stated so It can be carefully adjusted with the left hand. Are these the sliders that are between and a bit below the sticks that use to be a common location for channel 5 and 6 on very old units?

Exactly what is the Transmitter?

John
Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 AM
a70eliminator

Here is a pic of a radio just like mine that i found on the net. I purchased mine new in the late 80's it is FM. Ch. 6-7 are on the sliders and ch. 5 is on a switch up top with the mixing and dual rate switches.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14187.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1872886  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:17 AM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope that Tx is narrow banded!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 AM
a70eliminator

Of course it is. FM ch52 I just got back into flying and joined the local club the radio is acceptable, in fact there are several senior guys still on FM and at this point I'm happy and having fun.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:53 AM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCPAUL

I hope that Tx is narrow banded!
If you are not on the same channel as he is who cares. There are a lot of radios they say are not to be use that are not illegal. It's the operators that cause the problem not the radios.

I seen a guy with fuel tubing on his switches to make them easer to find with out looking at his TX (Flaps and retracts)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:26 AM
JohnBuckner

Very Cool an old seven channel FG Gold case which is a module based unit. These were the top of the line for Futaba back in the day before computers types and even had rudimentary aileron to rudder as well as elevator to rudder mixs.

I have one in hand now rather than going on memory, also have the four and five channel FG's.

First your radio is narrow band and of course still legal as are all the Futaba FM's as well as the PCM's. There are three options on that radio. The gear switch on the top left side which is a two position switch as you know and this could be used. the second two options are the vertical sliders on the front face lower center (channel 6 and 7 I think) These would be used if you want varible adjustment which can be fun sometimes. And yes agine the left one definately is the easiest option but the right side could be used and if so the normal technique for mode two setup would be to not use the right hand but instead to reach accross just as if you were adjusting throttle trim but move the thumb a little further to find the ch 7 slider. Its not all that hard, easy in fact if you practice a bit while watching tv and find the slider with that left hand without looking.

You do have my curiosity up A70 when you said gull wing and my mind immediately thought of the big Top Flite Stinson but that not sixty sized so got a picture

John

Name:	Zx72279.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1872908  
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
a70eliminator

I like the way this radio feels, it brings me lots of great memories and I will continue to use it, it's like that old shirt that wife want me to throw out.
I don't have photos of the completed version available to me at the moment but heres a couple of almost completed photos.

Name:	Jh17292.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1872946   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43402.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1872947  
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
JohnBuckner

Ah thanks for the photos. Its a lovely design. Appears to be influenced buy the Swoose but a land plane version. The fuselage is not flattened on the sides but they sure are lookalikes

Using an old radio for nostalgia reasons is fine and I fly on occassion a 43 year old Orbit that I modified to a modern 2.4 RF (a three year project to get my old sticks going agine) just for nostalgia purposes and indeed it reminds me just how the so called good old days were not really so good

You will find if you agine become a prolific flyer of your aiplanes that there are many advantages to modern equipment and some of it is not obvious as you might expect such as much faster response times and faster servos which do make you a much smoother pilot of you.

Enjoy

John