Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Let's meet the new guys!

Old 01-28-2005, 12:05 AM
air mail rcu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Let's meet the new guys!

Hey Lester, congradulations on getting started with RC Flying. Be careful you are making a big leap going fron a trainer to a Dago Red with 91 4 stroke. You might want to try something a little easier and a little more forgiving for a second plane. This is a mistake that a lot of people make and go to a hot ship before they are ready. Just think of it as baby steps. First you learn to walk then to walk faster then to run then to run faster. And before you know it your on the track team. But if you learn to walk and then try to run guess what ......most of the time you fall flat on your face. I don't know if this makes any sense to you, just be careful with that type of plane its very fast and not very forgiving.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Mike, and everybody else in RCU world.

I am Dick, 58 years old, retired from the U.S. Coast Guard. Started RC once while stationed in northern CA but had to drop it because of the CG ship patrol schedule. Next assignment was NY City so flying there was out. After that, I just lost interest until about three years ago. I retired in 1997 and work for the FAA as a contractor on Air Traffic Control Secondary Radar Systems. Aviation has always been one of my interests.

One day, I was driving on a back road and heard a familiar noise, looked up and saw an RC plane. Boiiiiing... something flipped... I stopped, and talked to the people there. Next thing you know, I was off to the local hobby shop and then on mail order buying what I needed.

Well, again, work schedules and travel caused my training to decay then sort of stop for a short while. One of my trips was to Harlow England where one of the guys I was working with is an RC'er. So I ended up spending a lot of time with him and his club. I even went so far as to buy a plane over there and flew it a few times with the aid of an instructor.

Last April I noticed that the NexSTAR was out and liked it so much that I bought one. I talked to my flight instructor and we started burning fuel. I solo'ed in August and have burned about 5 gallons of fuel since then.

I now own: NexSTAR Select, Tiger 60 w Super Tiger 75, Ripmax Rapier flying wing w OS 50, Four Star 40 w OS46, Skylark 56 w OS 52 Surpass, Tiger II, and an Elder 40. The Tiger II is in the build stages, modifying it by lengthening the fuse, changing some of the ply to hard balsa, other mods to reduce wieght. Putting my great running OS 50 on board and going to start into Pattern with it. The Elder 40 will get my Evolution 46.

Dick Soucy
Old 01-28-2005, 11:05 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Geeze, a lot of vets coming on board. I have 4 yrs Navy and 6 yrs Air Force to my credit - And BTW Lester, I was trained at NAS Millington.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Radcom

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, I figure someone had to train there.That's why I mention it.
I seen some planes fall out of the air,then a big cloud of black smoke
raising into the sky.I think some pilot's bit the dust.
Later....
Old 01-29-2005, 01:54 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey, I'm a Navy vet. Well sort of. 3 years nuclear submarines, stationed on the east coast. Used to chase the Russians around. Now I just fly my planes and try to keep up with them.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:54 AM
hypersoniq

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
my name is John, 36 years old and still in the pre-beginner stage (haven't bought anything yet but I have some definite ideas). I am currently a machinist (working mostly with Wire-EDM)

I wanted to be a real pilot since age 6 when I took my first flight in a cessna at an EAA fly-in at the local airfield. Somewhere along the line, life and finances kept that on the back burner and the most recent knife-in-the-back from NAFTA has flatlined that dream (even let my EAA membership expire 3 years ago)... but I can still put a plane into the air even if I'm not in it, and so here I am at RCU ;-)

I plan on getting a decent radio to start, almost bought a Futaba 7cap at the "local"(24 miles away) hobby shop, but since I am almost at my goal, I will wait a bit longer (Futaba 9caps)... extra cash not as abundant as it once was, but I'm the patient type ;-). Since there are no local instructors, let alone local clubs... I will have to learn solo (I know, I know... but it's that or not fly at all), so I plan on looking for a good electric trainer with full TEAR control (Throttle, Elev. Ail. Rudder)... possibly the kit version of the Magister? or maybe something with more of a semi-symmetric wing that can grow into basic acrobatics. I would eventually like to end up with a mini-funtana before getting into scratch-building a few dream planes... (SNA Seawind 3000 and an EDF F22).

Right now my "experience" is limited to flying around on the PC with a few sims...

-- FMS (currently the only one I have relevant to the R/C hobby)
-- MS Flight Sim 2k pro
-- Novalogic F-22 Raptor (probably have 1,000+ hours on that one)
-- Novalogic F-22 Lightning 3 (just like raptor, but with nukes)

Awesome site here, perfect place for a beginner :-)
Old 02-06-2005, 11:14 AM
air mail rcu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi John, How far from Pittsburgh are you? We have a lot of people here that would teach you.

Terry
Old 02-06-2005, 12:29 PM
hypersoniq

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

4 hours drive time from pittsburg... with favorable traffic (not a feature of the keystone state ;-) )
Old 02-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Fallsover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HI,
My name is Rich. I am 41 years old . I was in the Army for 5.5 years.
This is my second time as a beginner. I flew a GreatPlanes PT 40 in the early 90's.
Never really got past the beginner stage then, Family needs and money forced some
decisions to be made. So, the hobby was put on hold. Besides, the guy that was training me
moved away and I didn't like flying alone.

But I am back now, I have joined the AMA and found a club. They are some really good guys
that are eager to help a returning newbie. My wife is supportive and the kids are interested.
I think this time it will last .

Love this site. Good people and good advice.

Rich
Old 02-07-2005, 12:30 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another vet reporting in. 9 years Air Force. My name is Dennis and I'm just getting into the hobby. Since it's winter in Central NY, my experiance now consists of building a Great Planes PT-40 with a Tower Hobbies .46, a Clancy Aviation Lazy Bee with a TT.15 that insists on self destructing on the building table(plane, not engine), and am currently building a GP Ultimate that will either get a YS.45 or will trade the PT for it's .46. I don't plan on actually flying the Ult for a loooong time. I also own a .60 size Extra300S (bought this one) with an ASP.91 two stroke on it and have an ASP1.08 to replace that when I get bored, and , just to make sure that I NEVER run out of things to build, I bought half of an old Top Flite F4U Corsair that I would like to see in the air someday.
I have taken a little time away from the hobbyroom though. Since the PT40 has had a couple of shakedown flights, I figured it was time for it to need repairing, so I built skis to get it off the snow. The first design was too short and not enough flare in the tips (dug into the snow), The second set didn't have enough clearance and the prop destroyed the nose ski on the first bump, and the third set might just actually work, though the lake I tried to fly it off was slush covered today and the best I achieved was a noseover. Luckily there was no damage done this time. Will probably get the stupid urge to try again when the lake freezes a little harder. Why is spring so far away, when the local club members will be willing to come out and teach me to fly?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:37 AM
MinnFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You think spring is far away? Try living in Minnesota! Out here, Summer is 3 weeks of bad snowmobiling weather!

BTW, I envy your location... When I lived in NY (Down near West Point) I used to go to Pulaski every year for the Salmon run.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:38 PM
dapper66

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Newbie here........Well I helped run a food booth for the Jefco Aeromodlers Auction this weekend and showed some interest, so my wife talked to the club guys and picked me up an RTF plane for my birthday (next week). Now I need to figure out what she actually got me. The note on the plane and box (just a plain brown box) says Cloud Niner, K&B Sportster 65, Jr Max 6 Radio. She also got me the Flight Simulator software and a tool box case. I guess it's time to start doing some research, do some reading and join a club. I am late 30s, living in Lakewood CO, with a 3 yr old son who wants to "fly the plane", working in software, IT, telecomm.

Question, how do I figure out what plane she got me?

Dave
Old 02-07-2005, 02:37 PM
MinnFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Open it

Can't find anything on the "Cloud Niner"

Anybody esle know this plane?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Nightstalker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yet another Military Vet checking in... Quick history - C/L stunt and combat planes in the 70's. Got to do full scale in the ARMY (Special Op's MH-47 Chinooks with a little known group called Task Force 160 back in Ft. Campbell, KY (sometimes) during 80's and early 90s). Currently a civilian Engineer (what a safe, cushy job looking back). Been into electric Park Flyers since last summer, still like 'em OK, but ready for RC glow transition. Currently underway - a 80's Goldberg Falcon 56 MarkII kit that an old ARMY buddy of mine donated to my growing addiction. And just purchased an OS.46AX, a Futaba T7CAP (and am about ready to buy a Goldberg Sr. Falcon ARF to learn on because I don't know if I can wait until I build the Falcon 56!! - Plus bigger is better... And ARF's are Quick and E*****y

Great Discussion Forum - I study this stuff daily.

Thanks,
Out Here
Old 02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
rjm1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Joshua from Chesapeake, VA

Just getting into after years (most of my life, im 22) of wanting to...now that ive actually laid down the initial investment i realize that its not as bad as i thought...

I bought the Hobbico NexSTAR Select kit, and am spending alot of time (2 weeks, next paycheck comes the feild supplies) on it, then im still getting an instructor as well...

I cant wait to get this bird in the air...shes sitting right behind me now...its killing me but im making myself take it slow...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Digger44

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello everyone, I'm Bob. 44 years young.
Just did a solo about a week ago with an Arrow. Have made about 6 flights since and it just keeps getting better. I love this hobby. I also purchased a great planes 300s 40 KIT to build and learn about repairs, ready to cover now, (not that I expect to have to do any,LOL). Just recently purchased a STIK I think is what it is called. This plane is custom built 60 size plane with scalloped aileron's O.S. 61FP and a very nice color scheme. Couldn't resist buying this as a second plane, the extra is going to wait for a while until my pilot skills are ready, Will make a nice ceiling ornament anyway. This is a very good site for RC info and I plan to use it ofter as a resource. Lots of great experience to call upon when needed. Thanks
Old 02-11-2005, 09:45 PM
BenMK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello,

My name is Ben and I'm 14 years old. I'm really looking into RC Planes and I'll be joining the local club. I'm thinking about getting a RTF Electric like the Parkzone J-3 Cub or Super Dekathelon.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:00 PM
anthof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I figured I'd add myself to the list since I have a few spare minutes.

I'm a physicist working in the field of quantum optics. I'm facinated by my research, but it get's very stressful sometimes and I've found that RC flying is a great way to unwind. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than flying the real stuff...

I'm just getting into RC with my brother, but I'm not new to flying by any means. I think I inherited the aviation bug from my father and as you all know, *there's no cure*! Anyway, I had owned a trainer for a number of years, but I never got around to flying it. I did start it up a couple of times, but I never took off because I didn't want to wreck it. Well, a couple of months ago I figured it might as well be collecting dust in pieces, so I took it out for a flight. I ended up having to do a deadstick landing on my first flight, but since then everything has been smooth.

Shortly after, my brother took it out for a flight and he was hooked too. I ended up buying him a Sturdy Birdy II for Christmas because he's a little "riskier" than I am. We have a blast flying every chance we get too (which unfortunately isn't all that often because our paths don't cross too frequently). But it sure is a good way to spend and afternoon and enjoy a good cigar! Oh, and the old man wants a plane now too!

Happy landings!
Old 02-13-2005, 01:41 PM
psydeviant

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello all here my name is jim, im 33, from wiltshire in the uk(not far from stonehenge), id just like to say im kind of new to the world of
R.C aircraft and since the summer of 2004 have logged only about 40-45hrs
of flying zaggi THL and EPP model wings"unpowered of course"on my local slope
(westburys white horse).i was stunned one afternoon when me and a mate went to have
walk around cley hill near warminster,upon reaching the top we bumped into a couple of
blokes with transmitters and noticed they were in combat and we stood and chatted,inspected
the wings and left them to it, from that moment i was hooked and when i got home looked
through my sussex model centre catalouge,located a wing and bought one, i used to race nitro
touring cars and had some spare servos and recievers lying about.
the wing was finished in an eve or two and the following weekend went to the slope,
suprised not to see anyone there i threw out on my first flight "and my wings first flight",
after the quick panic of it all and a few moments of ohh my god i kind of had it racing
around flying inverted, loops, spins and safe landings within 30 foot from my position,
i was chuffed to bits and my confidence grew each time i launched and a good day was spent
on the slope,
next time at the slope there were many chaps there,wings and gliders of all shapes were there,
i was nervous as the guys defenatly looked like they new what they were doing, i sat and
watched them for a while listning in on there stories and chatter and was hesitent to launch,
then i thought to myself to get on with it and threw out the wing into what was fantastic lift
she went up and was flying smooth trying to keep distance from all the other craft and keep in
rotation with the others so we could all have fun on the slope, i came in landed and a guy
asked how long id been flying and i said about 6 hrs total im a "newbee", he was stunned and
said that i must be a natural which made me feel much better and helped my confidence no end
ive since spent around 40-45hrs flying THL/EPP wings with much fun on every trip out,
at this point id like to say my interest has always been in WW2 fighters and one in particular
is the BF 109 (or ME 109) and after seeing a BAC HAWK flying very well in the lift my lust for
P.S.S was born,
thanks jim
Old 02-14-2005, 09:17 AM
MinnFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Welcom to the boards guys (Hey Jim, I may be visiting Stonehenge next year, maybe I'll look you up)
Old 02-15-2005, 10:32 PM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just did my first solo yesterday!!! It was great. I built a kadet Jr and got the building bug. Now I have a pete n poke and a super sportster mk 2 and my G/F bought me a Extra Easy 2 rtf for valentines day. I ordered a spad arf yesterday I cant stop building these things... I'm hooked.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:41 PM
air mail rcu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

tsands, Congradulations on the solo. Its something you will remember all your life. It only gets better from here.

Welcome to the forum too.

Terry
Old 02-18-2005, 06:42 AM
tsands
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I flew yesterday with 2 takeoffs and 2 landings. Not smooth but got her up and down in 1 piece. I Use an instructor and did yesterday. I was flying a 3 channel kadet Jr and the 3 rd flight lost the radio. It was actrually kinda funny when we got to the plane it was sticking straight up out of the ground put one small tear in the wing and broke the landing gear from the fuse. Can be fixed in a couple hours. No big deal. I really love that plane since its my first kit and it flew great. But easily fixed. By the way my name is toby and I'm 31 and live in KS.