Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Let's meet the new guys!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Let's meet the new guys!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 12:11 PM
lbrande
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: beginner

Mike,

I have been out of the Aerodynamcs since 1979. I could, however, mentor others with basic knowledge. What I do not know, I can obtain from others that are much more current in the field.

My plan is to work within the 1/6 scale after completion of the P-40, which I believe is appl 1/6.9 scale. I might, however, deviate to build a larger (1/5) P-51. As we all know, cost is a major driver in the projects that we start.

I bought my TF kit for $149, and did not realize the additional costs involved. Engine $325, Flitepack with addtional servos $125, tank, fuel lines, and other sundries $100, Retracts (Robart) $250, Fiberglass $50 (100 yd roll), West systems Resin $63, Laquer + Accessories $100. Not to mention time and effort. I will say this much, the time spent building is enjoyable, eventhough I can only spend 1 hr per night. (Thank goodness for e-bay, and the for sale section of RCUniverse).

I can, however, provide assistance to those starting full build based upon my current errors and omissions. I guess experiece and learning from the errors makes the best modelers.

Lew
Old 02-02-2004, 12:13 PM
Binary_01

Hey there!! I'm turning 24 this month, I'm a network administrator for a big private Canadian placement agency. I almost done with my first R/C project, a Kadet LT-25 with a O.S .25FX and JR Quattro Radio.

Nice to meet everyone!! :-)

Philippe
Old 02-02-2004, 07:32 PM
gitterdun
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Let's meet the new guys!

Hey Minnflyer ! Well you have helped me out alot so far I am brand new and I got the Bug! I am 34 years old the guys I know are my age and there ate up too I live in Indiana where the weather is crap right now so I wait and wait and wait I have the Hanger 9 Extra easy I have The thundertiger 30 real cool plane and Just got a huge cap 21 with my first gasser a sachs 3.7 this plane is basically an arf so this should be fun to put togeather and I have never flown a single plane yet !! But loving every minute of this Nice to meet ya !
Old 02-03-2004, 11:26 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: gitterdun

I am brand new and I got the Bug!
It's a sickness I tell ya (and I hope they never find a cure! )
Old 02-04-2004, 11:49 PM
carrellh

I'm almost 44 and have been learning to fly for about 2 seasons. I've beaten a Global Right Flyer ARF just about to death. I just finished my first kit, a Great Planes PT-60. I'm hoping the maiden flight will be this weekend, Feb 7. I'm the one in the straw hat using a transmitter tray. Due to a spinal cord tumor, I have very limited dexterity and feeling in my hands and arms. Paul, my instructor, says he's confident I'll be able to solo and he has been very patient with me as I learn. I'll always need a 'spotter' to help keep up with traffic and help with my trim settings (I cannot feel them to make fine adjustments without looking down), but I'm pretty determined to be successful at this hobby.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17942.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	97507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38443.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	97508  
Old 02-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Noir

The name is Damon, go by NOIR to all on this board. I first tried to fly when I was 16...dude crashed my plane, and I hung up the wings until now. I am 30, and went about things the right way. I have the most awsome instructor. Been up 9 times, and have already learned to take off, and am refining my landing. Next lesson is in the morning. Joined AMA, have not joined a club yet. I currently fly out of Los Angeles, Ca. I am hooked, and can't wait until I can really be my own pilot. Look forward to getting to know ya'll.

Noir
Old 02-05-2004, 02:02 PM
SDsniper

Default RE: RE: Let's meet the new guys!

Hi,

I'm Mike,
Im not new to the Hobby but I got back into it after a long sabatical. Im 28 and live in Michigan now. I fond out why skis on planes are great things.. Have been flying straight through this winter. Chapped hands and wind burnt face but I still get to fly. I will be new to Giant Scale as I just got a smokin deal on a 45cc gasser. I need an air frame for it now. I fly almost all Electric. I have one glow.
Been in the hobby since I was 14. First bird was a PT40.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:59 PM
dsteyn

I am 31 years old and just starting the hobby. I am a programmer and pilot. Being a pilot I was a little frustrated at my first 2 channel park flyer as I knew the dynamics and concepts of flight but was unable to employ them. I am excited to get my first trainer and have some fun.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Connery

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

I'm 38, and starting this hobby again after a long layoff. My first try was back in 1988 when I was in the Air Force stationed in England. There were no instructors around so I tried to do it alone. BIG MISTAKE. After taking so long to build the plane and went all out on the finish only to destroy it shortly after take off. THIS time, I'm doing it right. The plane is built, and will be heading to the field soon to start learning with an instructor. Don't really care too much for aerobatics, but I'd really like to get to where I can fly warbirds, and maybe some fan jets. Here's a picture of me with my first plane back in '88 shortly before it was destroyed.

Connery

Name:	Ay74506.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	127576  
Old 04-29-2004, 02:58 PM
volkan

Old 04-29-2004, 04:20 PM
heloman25

I'm a 25 yr old ex Airforce hh-60g crew chief, I'm now attending college and am a Jr. in mechanical engineering. Always wanted rc aircraft but hell would have froze over before my parents would have ever bought such expensive toys for me when I was young (not for a lack of begging). All of you youngsters on here who have "supporting" parents ought to consider yourselves very lucky. I've been scanning ebay for a long time looking for good deals but the only thing that did was give me a better idea what I wanted. So here I am almost 800 dollars poorer, however, I feel much richer with my new superstar trainer, equiped with 46ax and jr6102 computer radio, also got real flight simulator and all the other extras... Money is no fun unless you spend right??
Old 04-29-2004, 07:11 PM
kegjeg

Hi I am Nate, I am 36 and can finally afford to get into this hobby. I have wanted to fly since I was a kid and watched the guys fly in the field behind my parents house. I bought a nexstar and have been flying on the sim for a few months and I am quite anxious to fly the real thing. just waiting for the club to get the training nights started.
I am a construction superintendent for a large construction company in Albany, NY
Old 04-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Felix21685

Hi my name is Felix
after crashing my avistar a year ago i havent done much with rc until recently.
i finaly saved up enough dough
for a
GP easy sport
tt 46 pro
and futaba 7c
Felix
Old 04-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Flyin_High

My name is Bobby, and I am 16... Through the long cold winter months I built a Sig Kadet Senior. It was a big plane, and took a long time to finish, but the reward was great! I am currently getting lessons and so far love this hobby!

Heres a pic of my plane!

Name:	Qo39273.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	127668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72046.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	127669  
Old 04-29-2004, 09:07 PM
raideron

Hi all,

Ron here from Fort Mohave AZ. I'm 55yrs young and retired.

I got into the hobby Feb. of this year. I just love it!!
My first plane was an Avistar with an LA 46.. I'm working on my 6th ga. of fuel and
the plane is still in one piece:-) I'm slowly working on a 4*60 which will be powered
with a Mag 91 4 stroke. Dan My ex-trainer and friend just "gave" me a Dazzler/w
.40 eng, Rec. and servos and he has ordered a crystal for my radio, in exchange
for me watching his watering system while they leave for the summer... I'm not
sure why.. It does not get "HOT" :-) He also said if none of his trees/plants die
while they are gone he will also give me a ga. of fuel for each month they are
gone(3):-):-):-) What a GREAT trainer and Friend!! Let's see the field is about 5
mins. from my house and I pass Dan's house on the way...
I picked up alot of info and help here!!

"note" I could not wait for the crystal.. So I took my crystal from my 4*60 system
and used it in the Dazzler... WoW.. Sure rolls fast:-):-):-).. I Like It!!.. Oh
first tail dragger.. It went up on first try:-) ANd it landed great!! I need
a bigger engine though..
Old 04-29-2004, 09:40 PM
kokamo

Howdy there Ya'll.......name is Joe, 24 years of age, and I live in the central part of good ole Texas, Liberty Hill to be exact.

I am a shop forman/mechanic and delivery driver at a localy owned equipment rental store. Been there 2-1/2 years and still love it.

I have been into the rc hobby for a pretty long time now. I have lots and lots of expirience with the off road 1/8th monster truck scene.
FYI...I have two HPI savages and am looking at getting an electric boat real soon.

I just got into this hobby and cant wait to fly. I just recently bought a used spacewalker (schoolyard scale) as my first plane. I know, I know, it's not all that much of a beginner plane but I got it at a good deal. Havent been up in the air just yet(hard to find a trainer around the area) but I have about 6+ hours of taxi time on the ground and boo-kooz of hours on the simulator.

~~~~~HAPPY FLYING TO ALL~~~~~

Joe
Old 04-29-2004, 10:04 PM
steelpony
My Feedback: (2)

Hi, my name is Jeff, 57 years young. I teach collision Repair for the Memphis City School

system. I've been to the Millington Barnstormers RC field several times and was

welcomed and treated very nice. My LHS owner Ron is a flyer and has really help me.

I know this is going be a great hobby and can't wait to get started.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:11 PM
mekanic
My Feedback: (2)

Howdy I'm Terry, I always wanted to learn to fly. My only problem I'am afraid of heights. Thought this would be the next best thing. I'am building a Kadet senior and having a real time with trying to cover this big plane with monocote am thinking of painting instead. Thanks for all the help guys if I can return some I will be glad to. Oh by the way Iam a meckanic been doing it for 30 years.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:34 PM
5_spot

name is John,60 yrs old,just got into flying and i like it,been operating heavy equipment on roads for over 20 yrs and would like to retire but,also pull a camper to get away from it all on long weekends,like to fish and ride a harley when i can.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:43 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

HI my name is paul and i am 31 years old and am working as an emergency medical technichian. i am new to this hobby and have been trying to get as much time in the air as i can but the weather here in iowa has just been too windy, i decided to get into the hobby as a way to relieve a lot of stress from work which can sometimes lead me to near breaking point. i currently own a hobbico xtra easy, P51 mustang with an os 91 4 stroke, and have just ordered a hobbico nexstar. it has been good to read a lot of what people have to say in the forums and have found it a good learning tool.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:58 AM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm...all you guys (and no gals that I can see) seem to be either 15, 30, or 60? Are these somehow magical life stage ages which make the soul cry out for an RC airplane? BTW, I'm 47 so I'm a little out of sync. But then I was building Guillow's kits when I was 12 and then went overseas before I turned 30!

Oh and here's my "bio-blurb": I'm a totally newbie pilot who just solo's a week or so ago with an RCM trainer. I'm currently building an Eindecker III (massively modified -- "bashed" just doesn't do it -- from the BUSA kit) as a second plane. Or maybe I'll just end uo buying a Big Stik. In my other, non-flying life I'm a university professor at a small school in Japan (and before that lived in Mexico, Oman, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and Germany).

Oh and my son, Fletcher, is 13 also a recently solo'd RC pilot and an all-round great kit (born in Oman and attended public schools in Mexico and Japan before moving to the US this year).
Old 05-01-2004, 08:47 AM
5_spot

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Hmm...all you guys (and no gals that I can see) seem to be either 15, 30, or 60? Are these somehow magical life stage ages ?.
Not really,my wife is 62 and no,we don't share hobbies,she don't mess with my planes and i don't mess with her guns,handcuffs.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Mile-Hi Flyer

Hello All,

First of all, this is an excellent forum for a new-guy to sort out some of this R/C stuff. Thanks to all that have contributed to my new vice!

I'm 44-years old. Seems like I've been around airplanes for a long time. My dad flew full-scale and model airplanes so I've always been around aviation. Currently, I fly for one of the airlines that has been around for a couple of days (75+ years).

I've only been flying model airplanes for a few months. My 7-year old son said something about flying R/C airplanes and the next thing I knew we were doing about 75 mph in a 35 mph zone headed directly for a local hobby shop...

While I have avoided the opportunity to visit with the FAA and/or NTSB about my full-scale adventures, I have managed to kill one R/C trainer. It deserved it...

Got another trainer. We came to an agreement; it would help me learn to fly "differently," and I wouldn't kill it. That worked.

Now I'm on model airplane #2. It is a SIG Somethin' Extra powered by a Saito FA-72. My son is still on model airplane #1; taunting a GWS Slow Stick to succumb to childhood misadventures; i.e., "Daddy, watch this!"

What a great hobby!

Name:	Ie98284.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	128613  
Old 05-03-2004, 12:47 PM
bryris

My name is Bryan and I am 22 years old. I am an accounting major at the University of South FL. About a year left before graduation, then its on to get my CPA. I am a commercial pilot with instrument rating, I am currently working on my CFI and plan on getting that about the same time I graduate, about a year. I fly a 1959 Comanche PA24-180. Only 1,300 ever built, although there are plenty of 250's. Its retract and constant speed prop, but with only 180 horses, it doesn't make much difference.

I just recently became very interested in R/C. I did lots of research and learned learned lots of things about R/C. I bought a SIG LT-40 kit from Tower Hobbies. I am going to build it slowly, making sure I do everything right. This is my first kit, so there will be lots of learning throughout the process as the details emerge.

I am going to join BayCity Flyers, an R/C club down here in Land O Lakes, FL. It'll be about a month or so before I have enough money to become an official member, my plane won't be done till after that anyways, but I do plan on going out there a good bit and meeting the people and talking R/C a bit so that I can learn the ropes.

Thats about it for me.

Bryan
Old 05-03-2004, 02:22 PM
lionheart

My name is Lee (Leland if you're my wife or Mother). I'm 47 and have just purchased my first plane.... the Nexstar. I'm currently working on the Sim and check out clubs. I hope to get in the air later this summer. Been watching an participating (a little) in conversations here at RCU. This is by far the BEST place for GOOD information about RC'ing bar none. I wonder how many millions of years and hours are collectively represented by the folks here? The numbers would probably be staggering!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.