Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Onboard glow, dummy needs help again

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Onboard glow, dummy needs help again

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 04:05 PM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onboard glow, dummy needs help again

Maybe I should stick to paper airplanes.[:'(] I have a sullivan onboard glow driver.... Do you put a separate switch so you can charge the battery. A switch like I would have on the side of the plane to charge the rx battery. I have a Seagull Decathalon with a 91 4s. With the cowl on the plug is to far down to connect with my glow driver. Well I can't post a picture Error 500 Gee maybe they should hire a computer person to fix the problems.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:43 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Onboard glow, dummy needs help again

You don't need an on board glow driver. Just a remote glow adapter. It lets you hook up the regular driver remotely. It has a plug that hooks to the driver with another plug on the other end that hooks to a jack on the plane with a wire to the engine's glow plug.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:51 PM
goirish

told you I should stick to paper airplanes. Cripes I have another plane with that set-up. Maybe I should have my wife make the paper airplane[&o]
Old 05-12-2013, 05:42 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: goirish

.... Do you put a separate switch so you can charge the battery. A switch like I would have on the side of the plane to charge the rx battery. .

Yes, at least that is what I did on the two airplanes that I do use glow drivers on and it is the same one you have. Used two Dubro switch/charge mounts in tandem on the side of the fuselage. Used these on my Hellcat and Corsair which I use for arrested landings.

John
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 AM
JohnBuckner

Picture posting is back up. Here the pics show the Sullivan panel on the right side of the airplane, The two tandem Dubro switch housings on the left side (forward is the supply from the glow driver battery to the glow driver and the aft swithch is from the flight battery to the rx). The last picture shows the two packs the top one is the glow battery and lower is the flight pack battery.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48874.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1881278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82438.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1881279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21396.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1881280  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 AM
goirish

Thanks John. I got it so I am going to use it.[>:]
Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
JohnBuckner

Cool

John
Old 05-16-2013, 04:37 AM
Rotten40851

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, I don't mean to step on anybody's toes andI know that You are a VERYEXPERIENCED modeler ( Mr. Buckner). I would just like toshare an experienceI had with my Ignition pack that I had mounted the way you have them mounted on yourCorsair. I had wrapped the packs just like you have them wrapped with plastic Ty-wraps inbetween the cells where the tabs connect them. Well with the vibrations from the engine causedthe plastic wrapsto breakthe connections on the packand I almost lost a 2500.00 Aeroworks Edge, thank God it was the ignition packand the power loss was intermittant.I discovered the problem hearing the engine Burping in flight and diagnosed it when the voltmeter wasreading all over the place. I have corrected the problem by simply using a popsickle stickplaced over all the tabs onboth sides of the packheld by two strips of electrical tape to prevent the plastic wraps from digging into the tabs. Again, Iam not wishing to offend anyone who has been doing it that way withno problems for so longbut just trying to prevent anyone from having the same problem I had as to not lose an Airplane
Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 AM
JohnBuckner

I have never had a problem in that way Rotten but then agine I have never needed the batteries far forward on my larger Gasers with potentially higher vibration levels. Excellent idea, I like the popscyle sticks idea to prevent the tie wraps from pressing aginst the batteries tabs. [8D]

John
Old 05-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad I'm not the only one with error 500 problems again, it seems to come and go. The times I have used an on board drive I used a switch like John has shown. I gave up using the on boards years ago and started making my own remote glow drivers like EC121 said. On four strokes I buy the Cermark metal twist caps and get the mono phone jacks, male and female from radio shack. Very clean system. I have had nothing but problems with the store bought remotes. They tend to fall apart from vibration or develop a short. They look kind of clunky too being so big. Gene, if you want another one I still have an Expert on board I can send you. I just never cared for them, I had too many problems.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 AM
goirish

I would like to see what you are making for your own. When we don't have the error can you post a picture?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 AM
goirish

this is the switch I use on my gassers

Name:	Om33611.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1882418  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Gray Beard

Sure, I have shown it a number of times over the years. Today I will try to remember to set one up on the bench and write down the parts numbers for you. I can make up three of them for the same price as one of the store bought units. I can just mail you the photos today.
Gene
Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 AM
goirish

Thank you my friend. How is the submarine coming?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Gray Beard

OK, photos are down to there smallest size and they said they loaded up? First photo is the Cermark metal twist on head lock. My LHS orders these for me and they just have the center wire and ground attached. I usually buy several of them. For two strokes I use the rubber clip on units. Second photo is one of the jacks mounted in a planes fuse. Third photo is the female jack, part number for radio shack is 274-0251. Forth photo is the male end I made up so I can just use my glow stick for starting. I also have a long one made up for a power panel. I don't have the part number for the male end. If you don't have a radio shack near you I can get some and mail them to you.
Yesterday I took the wing tube and chucked it into a lathe so I could take it down a bit with a file and emery paper so it would slide into the inner tube better. When I used epoxy to glue in the tubes it acted like the epoxy shrunk and got tight? I need more wood to get the wings sheeted so I'm doing other minor things until I can get the wood. This plane uses more sheeting then any other plane I have built. I didn't cut near enough. Now I'm out of balsa blocks.

Name:	Lj23649.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1882442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37487.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1882443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88880.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1882444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76154.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1882445  
Old 05-17-2013, 04:56 AM
ec121

I did have problems with the store bought system. The spring in the jack is cheap and will lose contact. Radio Shack might have a better quality jack.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:03 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Gray Beard, what makes the glow plug connector in the first picture a "permanent" installation.  With a regular glow plug ignitor, it seems like it doesn't want to come off when I want it to and when I want it to stay on, it wants to fall off.....  How would that plug stay on inside a cowl or somewhere you couldn't get to it?  Surely, with my luck, that thing would pop right off.  I like your system, though, very clean!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:18 PM
goirish

Thanks for the pictures Gene. I went to cermark.com but could not find the connector that attaches to the glow plug.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Gray Beard

Those are a twist on type and you push it on then twist, they stay on.. That particular plane is a fully cowled pattern ship and you could get to the plug cap with a needle nose, maybe? Never had one come loose.
Gene, my LHS has a big book that has all there products shown and they order them for me. The original owner would always double my order thinking he would have them on hand but they always sold in a week. Not sure if the new owner stocks them or not. I have to go there in the next week and I can find out. If you want any of this stuff write me and let me know. If I'm out I can stop by Radio Shack and get the makens too. However, the LHS is now under new ownership and the guy doesn't like to be bothered. I'm out of the caps, when I built or set up a plane for someone I would use them and no one has ever replaced them for me. If you need one fast I can pull that one and send it to you. No problem. I'm able to get all the parts.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 AM
skyarrow1

What kind of switch is this???

Mike
Old 05-22-2013, 04:21 PM
goirish

Sullivan

Gene, If you can send me something that would show what part I need for the twist on cap. Then I can order some of them. It does not show in the cermark web site. Rained like crazy here a few minutes ago, probably the aftermath of the OK weather.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Gray Beard

I'll try to get the numbers for you but it's a big weekend in Vegas and the Town is a zoo, I have a bunch of people that will be here starting this afternoon so it will be next week before I can get to my LHS. Why would anyone want to come here on a big weekend is beyond me?? It costs a guy $150.00 and a girl $100.00 just for a cover charge to get into a club, a table is $1000.00, drinks, hotels and shows have doubled in price. The town is full and sold out? Really makes me wonder. That and why anyone wants to come here during high summer during the heat? I have checked with friends that work in the clubs and found out they can't even comp anyone into there clubs or comp a drink.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: skyarrow1

What kind of switch is this???

Mike
One switch for rx battery and the 2nd switch for the ignition. Both switches have a charging jack for each battery

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150968395442...84.m1423.l2649
Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 AM
JohnBuckner

GB my daughter lives there and she is escaping down here for the weekend.

JB
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 AM
goirish

GB, what is going on in Vegas that it is so busy. Guess us northern folks don't keep up with the Vegas thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.