Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

storing planes and equipment?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

storing planes and equipment?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:47 AM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default storing planes and equipment?

I am currently keeping my rc equipment in my basement and it is a pain in the summer to haul things up and down each time I want to fly. I would like to know if I keep things out in my garage/barn which gets pretty hot would the heat harm the planes or radio equipment?
thanks
Jeff
Old 06-06-2013, 07:11 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: storing planes and equipment?

Jeff,
 I doubt that it gets as hot in Ohio as it does here in Oklahoma. I say this because I store all of my planes, radios, fuel, and field equipment in my garage which does not have air conditioning. I've never had a thermometer in the garage but I can make a pretty educated guess that days where it's 100°+ outside results in 120° or more in the garage. I've never had any problems at all resulting from storing my stuff in the garage.

Go ahead and put your stuff in your garage, you'll be just fine with it stored there.

Ken
Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also keep my stuff in my shop which is just an extension of the car port and don't have any major problems . The shop is insulated ( roof and sides ) but it still get pretty warm in there. Most of the gang down here store their planes about the same as I do with no major problems . And we get warm .

I would guess that keeping them in your basement could be more harmful then in the garage. The basement probably is slightly damp and that could be worse then the heat . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-06-2013, 07:43 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion hot conditions are better than damp conditions for both plane and engine.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 AM
koastrc

I will throw in with Ken. If heat got to our radio control equipment all of South Mississippi would have to replace equipment every six months. I do think temperature swings might cause some harm. Heat has never bothered my planes as much as landing two inches to low. I do think this is a great subject for discussion. We can all learn something worth while about storing these things and stuff required to fly and maintain them.
One of the major reasons I enjoy the beginners forum is I get to learn. Perhaps we will learn from others on this subject of storing our equipment.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's 105 here today in Vegas. {{ But it's a dry heat!!!}} My shop is insulated and I do have heat and air in it but that's for me, not my planes and gear. No problems at all.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:20 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am in Oklahoma as Ken is and it does get quite hot in mid Summer. I have stored my planes in the garage without any problems. However, I did store an ultra stick lite in an attic above the garage. It was for about 4 years so I don't really don't know if it was the length of storage, or the heat, but, I am in the middle of re-covering the fuse because the glue on all of the clear covering just let go. The covering with coloring needed to be shrunk a little, but overall it wasn't damaged.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:37 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

I had an LCD screen go bad (well, it still works, it's just real dark and you have to look at it real close to see it) that I think the heat did in in my trailer, but that's it so far. I keep the top vent popped a couple inches and I try to crack the door open a couple inches unless it's supposed to rain to allow some cross ventilation. I'm going to cut some floor vents in when I get around to it to allow cool air in the bottom.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:47 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

As long as they are well protected from rain, your planes will be fine through the summer. I'll suggest putting your transmitter and chargers in a closet though to protect the LCD screens though. I'll suggest bringing the planes in during the winter because the humidity and temperature swings can cause the wood to warp and coverings to come loose. Batteries don't handle freezing very well either.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 AM
jetmech05

I keep mine in my garage down here in Fla. no problem. If you ever get into gassers you don't run the engine dry nor do you de fuel the tank if you don't have to. But don't store with a full tank. I store mine with the choke closed and the vent plugged. Keeps the smell down. But with no vent the tank will split
Old 06-14-2013, 01:55 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Be sure your wing holders are truly flat and parallel as long term sitting can lead to a warp. Don't ask how I found out