Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A good deal or crap?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A good deal or crap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good deal or crap?

Is this a good deal? Why is it so cheap. is it a piece of crap?
[link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-4CH-Radio-Model-RC-Transmitter-Receiver-Airplane-/300532384665?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item45f9204399[/link]
Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: A good deal or crap?

Its a forty dollar transmitter and not much more than just that!

May work ok close range in a small parkie but anything much more than that well you figure it out. Most of the fellows who show up aroung here with stuff like that are soon trying to sell it, guess what there is no secondary market for that stuff.

John
Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: shd3920

Is this a good deal? Why is it so cheap. is it a piece of crap?
[link]http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-4CH-Radio-Model-RC-Transmitter-Receiver-Airplane-/300532384665?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item45f9204399[/link]
It's a bit of both. A radio like this would be fine for a basic trainer or foamy aircraft. This price seems a bit high to me, as you can get the HobbyKing version from their U.S. warehouse for little more than half the price:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

I have one of the HobbyKing radios that I use with electric foamies built for full-contact combat. I don't use it for anything I plan on keeping, however.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:09 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a Fly Sky radio. They aren't bad. Other places re-brand them with their own name on it. They make several models including 6 channel "computer" radios and this is the basic model.
You can get it cheaper or for a little more one with more channels here:

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-systems-servos/radios.html

Old 06-10-2013, 12:40 PM
shd3920

Will be using it for a 3-channel PT-20 trainer (converted to electric) for now, then gradually move to ailerons. I know some will say start right off with ailerons but the airframe is already built for 3-channel
Old 06-10-2013, 03:11 PM
opjose

Consider that you will only be able to use that radio with the supplied receiver. If that is OK with you, go for it, but check that the unit functions ASAP.

Somewhere I have a box with 3-4 of those radios I received with RTF's... they were quickly removed.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:48 PM
jetmech05

I wouldn't buy it
Old 06-10-2013, 04:51 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You'd be better off sticking a couple of $20 bills in a shredder then go and buy a quality full range radio, preferably a computerized one. At least that way the cheap radio won't cost you an airplane.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just gotta say it, You get what you pay for. A few more bucks and you can get a quality radio that will last for quite some time. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-10-2013, 07:54 PM
JohnBuckner

You need to understand shd that radio is a one airplane radio You cannot store multiple airplanes on it, oh wait you cannot store even one airplanes basics such as end points. In other words you cannot do didly squat with it except servo reversing so all adjustments will be done the old fashioned way - mechanically. that's likely to be an interesting additional challenge and well sorta of a lost skill these days.

Aw heck I think the blue stickers are way cool

John
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Eight AAbatteries. You'll go broke feeding it.

And just what receivers is it compatable with?

OK - Answered my own question.

http://www.rocketcityracing.com/FLYS...er_p_1943.html

One of my flying buddies is having good luck with less expensive FrSky transmitters and modules. But Ido not know if that is the same as"FlySky"

http://www.frsky-rc.com/

Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 PM
JohnBuckner

Frsky and Flysky are definately different and unrelated. I actually use a Frsky receiver hanging out the back of my Hitec Aurora to serve as a cordless buddy cord system so its good for something
Old 06-11-2013, 09:31 AM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

Its the shaky overseas part of it I'd be worried about.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Just don't do it
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM
jmpups

another piece of Chinese crap!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:04 AM
bikerbc

I am no expert on radios but I would never bother with something like this.. I think you are far better off to spend your hard to come by dollars on a computerized radio with at least 6 ch and as many features as you can afford...Also keep in mind where are you going to send it in the event of it needing service ? The trash can or Possibly Horizon hobby ? Horizon has great customer service .. I am not sure where you would get receivers , It might not be hard but I would see who stocks them.. And about the batteries.. Every time I go flying I charge my transmitter.. This one operates on 12 volts or 8 AA batteries which are 1.5 v each .. The rechargeable cells are only 1.2 v each which comes to 9.6 volts fully charged .. So I don't know if you could use rechargeable or not but if you had to replace the batteries every time you went flying or even every other time that would really add up in a hurry..There is probably ways around this but it adds to the cost of this radio anyway .. You would not be saving much money.. I am not saying you need to get the biggest and the best but getting one of the cheapest is probably a mistake in this case in my opinion..
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 AM
bikerbc

I am no expert on radios but I would never bother with something like this.. I think you are far better off to spend your hard to come by dollars on a computerized radio with at least 6 ch and as many features as you can afford...Also keep in mind where are you going to send it in the event of it needing service ? The trash can or Possibly Horizon hobby ? Horizon has great customer service .. I am not sure where you would get receivers , It might not be hard but I would see who stocks them.. And about the batteries.. Every time I go flying I charge my transmitter.. This one operates on 12 volts or 8 AA batteries which are 1.5 v each .. The rechargeable cells are only 1.2 v each which comes to 9.6 volts fully charged .. So I don't know if you could use rechargeable or not but if you had to replace the batteries every time you went flying or even every other time that would really add up in a hurry..There is probably ways around this but it adds to the cost of this radio anyway .. You would not be saving much money.. I am not saying you need to get the biggest and the best but getting one of the cheapest is probably a mistake in this case in my opinion..
Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The only way you'll save money with this radio is if you're going to be one of those flyers who gets a plane and crashes it in the first outing because he didn't get proper instruction, then never tries RC again. At least then you won't have spent the money to get a good radio so you won't be out so much on your attempt at doing RC.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I haven't seen any quality or reliability issues with these bargain basement 4-channel sport 2.4Ghz radios. They seem to work fine. What is different now is just how inexpensive a really good 6-channel computer radio from a top tier manufacturer is these days.

What everyone is probably suggesting, shd3920, is that you could buy a Futaba 6J or Airtronics SD-6g radio system for $179.99 or $149.99 respectively. Programming and mixing functions for airplanes, gliders, or helicopters, multiple model memory, buddy box compatibility, and lots of additional features.

Why spend $50 on a bargain basement radio for a single plane when you could invest the same $50 toward a really nice radio system with a lot more capabilities? Once you decide that you need more radio than $39.99 plus shipping and handling will buy, most of the respondents feel that you will regard money spent on a $50 radio as $50 wasted.

The equipment that doesn't leave the ground, items like transmitters, battery chargers, field box equipment, quality tools, etc., tend to be investments rather than mere purchases. You'll likely have these items for a long time, and spending a little extra to get good quality is always a good idea.

A $39 radio will fly the PT20 trainer just fine. If you can't spend more, or don't want to spend more right now, you don't have to. Buying the cheapest radio you can buy simply may not be the best use of your money in the long run.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:56 AM
bikerbc

Also one other thing too remember as bigedmustafa points out the radio is more of an investment that you tend to keep for a longer period.. The planes you can cheap out on because you could crash and replace them where your radio stays safe on the ground with you helping it too last longer...