Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

1st Kit.....Sig Somethin Extra?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

1st Kit.....Sig Somethin Extra?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Foxtrot82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Kit.....Sig Somethin Extra?

hello hello

im kinda new the hobby and i was wondering about building a somethin extra kit.
I recently got a H9 Alpha and i flew it solo the first day i ever got a chance to get it airborn. everyone at my club couldnt believe it that i was taking off and landing on my first day flying it. i had an electric trainer i bought at a local hobby shop and i crashed it prolly 30 times before i learned to fly it and i have real flight g2 also, but anyway the members of my club were asking me about a second plane and i hadnt really given it much thought. i have been researching it for probably a week or so and i really like the sig se but i noticed the arf is 200$ and the kit is 75$. i dont really have 200$ bucks to shell out at once cuz i got few bills i have to think about unfortunatly. i am aware that i will need things to build the plane so i wont actually be saving 125$ but every bit helps. i havent even built an arf before because my alpha was rtf. i was wondering what every thought about me trying to build from a kit with no building experience. im pretty good with my hands when it comes to building things. my father owns and operates a furniture shop so i help him build furniture. i also had a drafting class in high school so i have experience with blueprints. im just kind of afraid to jump in and spend 75$ on a kit if i cant build it. so anyway give me honest opinions you wont hurt my feelings hahah
Old 09-22-2003, 06:48 PM
David Cutler

Default RE: 1st Kit.....Sig Somethin Extra?

The SIG SE must be one of the easiest kits to make, as the parts have been cut so accurately and the design is a great interlocking design.

Having said that, there are various techniques which, with your background, and experience, I feel sure you will be able to pick up very quickly, but which may not be there in the beginning.

If you follow the instructions (which are very detailed for the SE) and read everything you can find about building in general, and the SE in particular (there are many threads here and elsewhere on the 'net that talk about the SE if you search for them) you should be OK.

Now, for the flying! This is where you might come a bit unstuck, even if you have had great results with your trainer. The SE is pretty aerobatic, and might be too much of a handful right now.

Do you have access to a good instructor? You will need him, not only to help you fly, but to look over your finished model to see if it's OK.

If you do decide to build the SE, all I would say is set the control surfaces (especially the ailerons) to very low rates, as the SE rolls so fast it's a blur!

-David C.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:58 PM
Foxtrot82

thanks for the quick response, and at my club we dont really have an appointed person who is "the instructor" but yea when i first started flying my alpha i had an advanced pilot standing with me ready for me to hand him the radio because i am the only one at the club with jr equipment haha. but if i get the se i will probably go with futaba equipment so buddy box wont be an issue.

is their anyone else who has built the se that wants to throw in their 2 cents?
Old 09-22-2003, 07:03 PM
wings

I dont want to disrupt your forum with an unrelated topic, but which electric plane did you learn to fly on? I am about to buy a trainer and I fly and electric 3 channel plane. Almost embarrased to mention its name. But I am wondering if I will make the transition to glow that easily. Many people on here say I won't, but it seems there are many skeptics in here,lol.

Thanks,

Wings
Old 09-22-2003, 07:13 PM
Foxtrot82

well its called a wing-dragon. its not exactly easy on the eyes but it flys very well and replacement parts arent very much (boy was i lucky). its kinda a funny story because me and a couple friends went to a hobby shop because they wanted an rc truck and i was interested in planes. the guy running the hobby shop said it was the best one he had it was 3 channel and it was the only one he had with servos which i didnt have a clue of what a servo was at the time so i shelled out 150 bucks and destroyed it the next day haha. so i took a trip back to the hobby shop and bought replacement parts and i spent a day or 2 thinking about flying it and tried again. with little success, but each time i got better so im pretty much self taught but with all the torment of picking up pieces of wings and my girl friend laughin at me i wished i would have known to go to local club haha.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Flying Hog

Foxtrot82....Congrads on your flying and go ahead and build yourself a SE. I've been building for seven years, and built my SE just about as fast as an ARF. Sig kits are well engineered and go together strait and true. As far as flying....David is right. Set the control throws low and it will fly like a trainer.As you get comfortable with it, Increase the throws and go wild!!!! Good Luck with it!!
Old 09-23-2003, 08:46 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

As a second plane, you might want to look at teh Sig 4 star line. They too, are very well detailed, and are an easy / quick build. Just as easy as teh SE, if not slightly more!

And best of all , are typically considered 'your 2nd plane'..
Old 09-23-2003, 10:32 AM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

Sig 4 star is a great 2nd airplane but if you want the Something Extra it will work as a 2nd airplane too. Just be sure that you have a lot of flights logged in your trainer and that you tone the S.E. rates way down for the first flight or so and you should be fine.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:57 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first kit after 30 years (I was doing CL at the time) is the Something Extra. Just make sure you have a good straight building board. I haven't finished mine yet, but found the instructions to be very clear, and easy to follow. This is a good plane to start with since it has laser cut parts, no compound curves to cause problems in covering, and it flies great.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:11 PM
TyBryner

I'm just finishing my my 2nd plane (and first kit), a sig four star.. I'm more than likely going to make the somethin extra my 3rd since I'm pretty impressed with sig at the moment after building their kit.

If the 4* is any indication of the quality of the rest of sig's kits, I don't think you'll have any problem. It went together great for me, with very little help from anyone else.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:39 PM
bhole74

All Sig kits are excellent. My first was a seniorita, then a faser, another seniorita for my brother-in-law, a senior for a buddy and my latest... A Hog Bipe! Out of all my 13 planes, the Hog is the sweetest looking and flying, I love Sig kits!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:34 AM
leepord geko

ORIGINAL: Foxtrot82

hello hello

im kinda new the hobby and i was wondering about building a somethin extra kit.
I recently got a H9 Alpha and i flew it solo the first day i ever got a chance to get it airborn. everyone at my club couldnt believe it that i was taking off and landing on my first day flying it. i had an electric trainer i bought at a local hobby shop and i crashed it prolly 30 times before i learned to fly it and i have real flight g2 also, but anyway the members of my club were asking me about a second plane and i hadnt really given it much thought. i have been researching it for probably a week or so and i really like the sig se but i noticed the arf is 200$ and the kit is 75$. i dont really have 200$ bucks to shell out at once cuz i got few bills i have to think about unfortunatly. i am aware that i will need things to build the plane so i wont actually be saving 125$ but every bit helps. i havent even built an arf before because my alpha was rtf. i was wondering what every thought about me trying to build from a kit with no building experience. im pretty good with my hands when it comes to building things. my father owns and operates a furniture shop so i help him build furniture. i also had a drafting class in high school so i have experience with blueprints. im just kind of afraid to jump in and spend 75$ on a kit if i cant build it. so anyway give me honest opinions you wont hurt my feelings hahah
Sounds good man one thing between the kit and the arf, and why the arf is so expensive is 1. Its made really well 2. your going to end up spending $200 with the kit anyway (covering, fuel tank, wheels etc.) 3. 90% prebuilt. But hey I would build the kit if I had the time, just giving you my 2cents of information.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:45 AM
flyX

It builds almost a 4* , actaully some parts are easier to build.
Just becareful when sheeting the wing. Sheeting the wing is relatively easy. Just wet the balsa a little.
Making sure the you don't wrap the wing like it's not suppost to is the trick.

Becareful when handling the fuselage. The fuselage is made out of balsa..That's why it's light.
Mainly the rear section becuase of the lighten holes. It'll split becuase of the wood grian.
Once you glue the formers on...it'll prevent the spliting...But you'll crack it while trying to glue formers .lol

I build on glass. it's the flatest surface I know. Tape the planes under the opposite side.
I tack the ends of the spar to the glass and also tack rib tabs to the glass.

The way I build mind it'll cost almost the same. I just get to sheet the deck, extend the rudder. Do some beefing
up where i deem necessary for my landing style
Install taller gear to compensate for the 12" prop I'm going to slap on thar.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:57 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dr_wogz

As a second plane, you might want to look at teh Sig 4 star line. They too, are very well detailed, and are an easy / quick build. Just as easy as teh SE, if not slightly more!

And best of all , are typically considered 'your 2nd plane'..
I agree, Try a Fourstar 40 first, then make the Somthin' Extra your third plane.
I have built and flown both, Sig kits will spoil you![sm=shades_smile.gif]