Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

zippy lipos are they any good

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

zippy lipos are they any good

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 PM
superflyboy1988

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zippy lipos are they any good

Im thanking of buying this lipo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZIPPY-1300Ma...item58a0c4d507

Are they any good has any one had any troubles with them
Old 06-18-2013, 03:52 PM
batdog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: zippy lipos are they any good

I have had good luck with Hobby King and the price is lower than any place I have looked. batdog
Old 06-18-2013, 03:53 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 15 plus zippies and they have been for me. I do not try to get every last watt out of them. They have run well for 2 years now.

Your link did not work, said it had been removed so I went to HK and looked at a 1300 zippy.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._3S1P_20C.html

Buzz.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM
batdog

Can't beat the 5.99 price . batdogp
Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

I too have had good luck with the Zippy's, but like Buzzard, I don't try to get every drop of juice out of them or expect them to be "competition" packs.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I only have one zippy battery and have only cycled it a few times but it has been great so far.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 AM
opjose

I've had a person tell me that they prefer the Turnigy's over the Nano's and the Zippy's because they sustain higher draws with less ill effects.

A recent article in a UK magazine about how the industry mislabels the "C" ratings of LiPo's bears this out.

The less expensive Turnigy's worked better than the higher priced Nano packs in their tests.... go figure.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:27 AM
bikerbc

My Zippy's have been fine so far ..
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

They are worth $5.99. They aren't worth much more than that. Whether they are good enough for your application is a judgment call for you. They won't give you as many amps as the higher end batteries, and they won't last as long as even the $20 batteries. I personally think that Gens Ace batteries are a better buy. They give you more amps therefore more power, and they last longer. The other issue with Zippy is that they have no quality control whatsoever. There are lots of threads about Zippys being DOA, around 1 in 5 in seems. Then the lifespans are very variable. Some people have 2 year old Zippys that still deliver usable amps and full capacity, and some (like myself) have had to toss them after 6 months because the internal resistance went up so high that the aircraft couldn't fly with them anymore. So all of that is to say that if you want a lot of batteries and you don't care how long they last and you want them cheap, Zippys make sense. Buy 5 of them for $30 plus shipping, expect to throw 1 away immediately, and expect to throw them all away in less than a year. Or you could buy 2 Gens Ace or Power Wing batteries for about the same money and get better performance and likely twice or even 3 times the lifespan. It's your call.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:12 AM
opjose

With all due respect Jester, you are WAAY off base.

We had this discussion before. I cited sources including Greg Convey's articles ( Mr. MaxAmps ) that go contrary to your assertions.

I've mentioned magazine articles, etc. where methodical analysis has been done saying the exact opposite of what you do.

Here is a new one for you:

The May/June 2013 issue of "RC Electric Flyer" has an article you should read called "Cut through the hype when choosing LiPo's: You DON'T get what you pay for."

They compared the Turnigy, Zippy's and Nanos against GenAce and even other bigger brands.

The findings were suprising...

- NO manufacturer came up to their actual "C" rating for sustained use.

- In spite of 40-80c claims, all you'll get is around 30C at best on batteries claiming far more.

- Cheaper packs faired better ( hence my prior post about Turnigy/Zippy versus their own more expensive Nano's )

- GenAce packs did not do as well as the cheaper Turnigy/Zippy packs

- Quality control is about the same for all manufacturers including the big boys.

- Lifespans are all about the same.

And btw, GenAce ( Nitroplanes's brand ) and Turnigy/Zippy ( Hobby King's brand ) are all manufactured in the same Chinese plants as the cells sold to other name brands.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
TruBlu02

I have been using the Zippy's for a few years now and I have been happy with them. You cant beat the price and they have always performed quite well for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM
jester_s1

Heh heh... you're citing an article that Hobby King probably paid for. It's done all the time in special interest magazines. Rather than argue about it I'll let the OP do some searching on his own. If he does, he'll find dozens of articles about DOA Zippys and probably a couple other HK brands. He'll also find people who, like me, have tried both the bargain basement batteries and the slightly better ones and noticed easier takeoffs, better helicopter head speed (I fly both on my 3 cel 2200's), and better service life. And all of that is not to mention warranty service, which HK has none. Of course, he'll also find some Zippy fanboys who claim that their batteries are the same as what Max Amps sells. If someone is inclined to buy that load there's not much I can do for them.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:16 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Heh heh... you're citing an article that Hobby King probably paid for. It's done all the time in special interest magazines.
Oh PLEASE! Not YOU TOO?

A great way of loosing credibility.

This forum is replete with a small group of tards, who when they cannot come up with a good and informed response to something, resort to accusing those who disagree with them of being shills, or "any positive article must be because of paid authors". etc.

They use the "if you can't argue about it, throw in something ridiculous..." response of the low IQ's...

You might actually WANT to check out the referenced article before sticking a foot firmly in mouth with the "HK PAID FOR" claims.

The author did NOT know ANYTHING about HK... he purchased the batteries from a U.K. vendor... duh.

Rather than argue about it I'll let the OP do some searching on his own.
Yup like the issue I cited.

If he does, he'll find dozens of articles about DOA Zippys and probably a couple other HK brands.
I believe you are confusing ARTICLES with forum posts. The latter are non-scientific, though Greg Convey's positive comments in MaxAmps are not.

And all of that is not to mention warranty service, which HK has none.
Neither does GenAce ( Nitroplanes ).

BTW: I like the GenAce too.

That must make me a "shill" for Nitroplanes... oh, wait someone said just that! I wonder WHO it was?

Of course, he'll also find some Zippy fan boys who claim that their batteries are the same as what Max Amps sells.
I think you're getting confused... "MaxAmps" is Greg's blog.

You may be referring to GenAce ( Nitroplane's brand ).

Seems like the only "load" so far has been your take on these packs.

It's too bad you had bad luck, but the reviews don't bear out your comments and neither does most end user experience.

Battery FAN BOYs? Really? Scraping the bottom of the barrel there...

If some believes that the same cells coming from the same factory, are somehow "better" because they have a different label on them, there's not much I can do for them either.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:00 PM
t-max97

They are worth $5.99. They aren't worth much more than that. Whether they are good enough for your application is a judgment call for you. They won't give you as many amps as the higher end batteries, and they won't last as long as even the $20 batteries. I personally think that Gens Ace batteries are a better buy. They give you more amps therefore more power, and they last longer. The other issue with Zippy is that they have no quality control whatsoever. There are lots of threads about Zippys being DOA, around 1 in 5 in seems. Then the lifespans are very variable. Some people have 2 year old Zippys that still deliver usable amps and full capacity, and some (like myself) have had to toss them after 6 months because the internal resistance went up so high that the aircraft couldn't fly with them anymore. So all of that is to say that if you want a lot of batteries and you don't care how long they last and you want them cheap, Zippys make sense. Buy 5 of them for $30 plus shipping, expect to throw 1 away immediately, and expect to throw them all away in less than a year. Or you could buy 2 Gens Ace or Power Wing batteries for about the same money and get better performance and likely twice or even 3 times the lifespan. It's your call.
Hahaha jester your information is very incorrect. All lipo's, whether $5.00 or $200.00 are made in one of six (pretty sure it's 6) factories in china, you can order a lipo from max amps and a lipo from hobby king and there is a very good chance it came from the same place. While only one is a zippy, I have 7 hobbyking lipo's and they are just as good as the ones I paid a lot more for, actually all the hobbyking lipo's came balanced better than than the other ones.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Ihave had several sizes in cell and mah of zippies ther are good for what they are cheap batteries out of say 35 ish batteries I have only had 1 DOA. I may be a bit luckier than others have seen others get 2 or 3 DOA's in an order. The problem with this question is it turns into an arguement over people who have very polarized views kind of like which radio is better or which airplane is better. It comes down to a lot of personal preference.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:27 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I once bought a battery from Nitroplanes (GenAce), it came in a nice box with Nitroplanes name all over it. But much (not) to my surprise the battery had a blue heatshrink wrapper with all the Turnigy name and specs on it. Imagine that!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 PM
jester_s1

I do not need to resort to personal attacks due to not being able to "win" an argument. I have a master's degree that required over 3000 pages of academic writing, much of it persuasive by nature, and an IQ over 130. I was a debate champion once in college in a tournament with 4 other colleges. And I have a hard headed wife too, which trumps all of the prior qualifications!
It is very well established in the publishing world that product reviews are bought and paid for by the manufacturers. That's how you get a product reviewed- you pay for the magazine space. I have read gun magazines for years and once saw a review on the Hi-Point 9mm pistol. It is widely regarded as the worst made gun that is legal to sell in the U.S, yet the reviewer gave it a glowing recommendation. He was a pen for hire, as are 99% of all product reviews. Even the ones who do reviews for RCU are paid, at least by keeping the product. Do you think any RC magazine would run an article that hurt the sales of a big vendor like Hobby King and then also deal with the trickle down of other vendors getting shy about having their products tested and reviewed? The guys who run the magazines aren't stupid. They know who pays the bills.

There is a strange counter culture in this hobby (and others as well) to try and push cheap, low grade products as being just as good as the mainstream items. There is a place in the hobby for Zippys, and as I said above they may be good enough for the OP's application. But you're a fool if you think that an $8 battery is the same as a $40 battery just because they were made in the same country or even in the same factory.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:41 PM
G.Barber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK guys, let's keep the name calling and "I'm better than you because..." BS out of this thread. Any more of it, and I'll have to do something.

By the way, I also do reviews for RCU. Personally, I have never lied about a product I reviewed. Have I run into things I don't like or didn't work etc. on a particular product? Sure. BUT, rather than just bashing the product, I have come up with a solution to my concern with the product and include that in the review. That way anyone that reads the review before or after they purchase that product can have a solution as well. Anyone can say a product is bad, but isn't it one of the great parts of our hobby to fix or modify things? I certainly think so.

With that said, let's all be gentlemen and get along...

G.Barber
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Mikecam

Happy to say my experience with Zippy packs has been the opposite of Jestors, could be that IQ of 130 made the difference.

I fly them in my Phase 3 F16 and my foamy warbirds and after 2 years and many many flights they still all work fine. I must of been lucky cause I have over 15 of them and none has come DOA.

I can't wait to get my free Zippy after HK see's this post.

Honestly, any one who comes on here sprouting off about his IQ must have a real small one.[X(]
Old 06-20-2013, 09:51 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

I haven't disposed of a Zippy yet but I have disposed Thunderpower and Commonsenserc packs which cost me a lot more.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 PM
G.Barber

One more off-color comment, and I'm shutting this down!

Keep the posts about the Zippy LiPos and leave the color commentary regarding other posting members out!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:24 AM
batdog

Jester you sure are a SMART.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:17 AM
fly210sv

I have 50 plus lipo batteries. I have found that zippy brand is a good product. Venom seems to hold up as does e-flite. Thunderpower is my least favorite. Zippy for the price is my choice.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:35 AM
avidflyguy
My Feedback: (48)

i have a few zippys, and some are about 4 years old and still doing fine, never had one doa, can't say that for other packs i've owned( supertigre, commonsense, venom and thunder power)
Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 AM
t-max97

I do not need to resort to personal attacks due to not being able to ''win'' an argument. I have a master's degree that required over 3000 pages of academic writing, much of it persuasive by nature, and an IQ over 130. I was a debate champion once in college in a tournament with 4 other colleges. And I have a hard headed wife too, which trumps all of the prior qualifications!
It is very well established in the publishing world that product reviews are bought and paid for by the manufacturers. That's how you get a product reviewed- you pay for the magazine space. I have read gun magazines for years and once saw a review on the Hi-Point 9mm pistol. It is widely regarded as the worst made gun that is legal to sell in the U.S, yet the reviewer gave it a glowing recommendation. He was a pen for hire, as are 99% of all product reviews. Even the ones who do reviews for RCU are paid, at least by keeping the product. Do you think any RC magazine would run an article that hurt the sales of a big vendor like Hobby King and then also deal with the trickle down of other vendors getting shy about having their products tested and reviewed? The guys who run the magazines aren't stupid. They know who pays the bills.

There is a strange counter culture in this hobby (and others as well) to try and push cheap, low grade products as being just as good as the mainstream items. There is a place in the hobby for Zippys, and as I said above they may be good enough for the OP's application. But you're a fool if you think that an $8 battery is the same as a $40 battery just because they were made in the same country or even in the same factory.
Man your so smart, that automagically makes false information correct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.