Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Radio

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Radio

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

. Go to your local field and watch who crashes an who doesn't. JMHO
[/b]
In our case it would be the Futaba owners ( not to knock Futaba ).

Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

opjose, your points about buddy boxing, help have never been a problem for me. I fly Aitronics and there was no one there who even liked Airtronics so I was alone either way I went

Buzz.
I was not targeting Airtronics with the info about the buddy boxes. That $200.00 Airtronics is a pretty good radio that is even suitable for a beginner.

We tend not to have any problems with the better radios when it comes to buddy boxing... it's always the cheaper models that are problematic, even with the name brands.

This is one reason I do NOT recommend the DX6 nor almost all SIX channel radios and below...

They lacks things like the "Pilot Link" that lets the buddy box pick up the trims from the master device... something that has proven to be essential to us in an environment where we have 4-6 buddy box combos going at the same time during training.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:22 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I stated before no one wants to feel they bought an inferior radio system so they will defend it to the hilt and try to convince everyone else that what they have is the best at least better than anyone else has in the same price range. It's sorta like the Ford verses Chevy. Except there's some 2.4 systems that are out of date and inferior.

If it doesn't hop it's a flop. Chevy-Ford-Chevy-Ford - Gremlin .... LOL
Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember the budget - $150 for that budget... name brands are out.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 AM
avidflyguy
My Feedback: (48)

best bet would be the new tactic 6 channel computer radio, right now they have an offer to get 2 extra receivers with it. And i also seen an ad on FlyRc magazine for the same 2 receiver deal with the option to buy another 3 for about 50.00 so you would have about 200.00 invested in a radio with 6 new receivers altogether. I fly primarily futaba now, i used to have a spectrum dx 8 ( lost 3 planes with it) and just recently a new guy bought a trainer plane set up with the 5 channel spectrum, had a fly away on 3rd flight of the day, as soon as the weather cooperates, i will take my avid flyer up some afternoon and try to locate the plane for him.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: opjose

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

. Go to your local field and watch who crashes an who doesn't. JMHO
[/b]
In our case it would be the Futaba owners ( not to knock Futaba ).

Yes, the Futaba owners would be looking the Spectrum owners crash, becauese they have no control over their models:-) (not to knock Spectrum, they are great, particularly with 14 satellite receivers...).

Gerry
Old 06-25-2013, 09:00 AM
opjose

Yeah, right...

Tin foil hats are also in vogue this season.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:49 PM
skyraider71

Futaba 6J $164.97 from Tower. Actually thinking about getting my daughter
one for her glider we just finished.
Wow, there are certainly a lot of choices but this one would be my first.
Of course I'm a biased Futaba guy.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:39 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I stand back an watch people crash, Futaba, Spectrum, JR, Hitec while I fly Airtronics [X(]

JUST KIDDING!!

Yet I have not had any issue with signal with Airtronics. I have flown a bunch of radios over the years.

It was mentioned that Airtronics Rx's cost a lot. They are not as pricey as Futaba's.

I say the 9x is a good radio.

Buzz.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

True about Futaba expense on the rx's, but you can find many excellent FASSSST compatible rx's for $35 or less. Can't say that with Sanwa....................
Old 06-25-2013, 04:48 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Well, that's not exactly true. Airtronics has had some pretty decent deals in the past and usually come up with them from time to time.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: avidflyguy

best bet would be the new tactic 6 channel computer radio, right now they have an offer to get 2 extra receivers with it. And i also seen an ad on FlyRc magazine for the same 2 receiver deal with the option to buy another 3 for about 50.00 so you would have about 200.00 invested in a radio with 6 new receivers altogether. I fly primarily futaba now, i used to have a spectrum dx 8 ( lost 3 planes with it) and just recently a new guy bought a trainer plane set up with the 5 channel spectrum, had a fly away on 3rd flight of the day, as soon as the weather cooperates, i will take my avid flyer up some afternoon and try to locate the plane for him.

avidflyguy: U are commiting Harecy if U bad mouth SPECTRUM here on RCU ... no budy believes they have s real problem ....

Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 PM
blvdbuzzard

Warjet, where do you fly? Do you fly with the Alpine, or Chollas or weed whackers?

Watch the sales at Hobby People and they have a 3 pack of the 6 channels on the big holidays.

Buzz.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Buzz, used to belong to all 3, quit for 10 years, now getting back into it. Looking to re-join Alpine and the club at Miramar MCAS.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:50 PM
koastrc

One of my claims to fame is the number of folks I have helped in this sport. Heck I have even got awards and things, local, district and AMA. The reason for all the stuff about teaching is this. I have used just about every radio to teach made. Spectrum is a very good radio. I would suggest a 6 volt flight pack in the Spextrum. Hitec is good and mates up to other radios well. Airtronics are very good, but the buddy box is sometimes a issue. What can we say about JR and Futaba. Both good and both popular. As of late I have ran into all kinds of radios I have never heard of. Some of them look like they came from the Dollar Store or tree, what ever it is called, but I have been running into some of the other two. Turigy and Flysky I think. They appear to work well and handle good. Nobody knows in which direction we will head in this sport/hobby. I have taught people and figured they would be gone in six months. Two of them I did not think would make it came to a fly-in with their trailers and their 3D giants. Both started with entry level radios.
I will just reinforce the others that say, go out and see what is what at the local field. Who knows. Some old timer may take you under his wing.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 AM
HoundDog

koastrc: Great advice to a NewBe. Now that I'm one of these "OLD" guys ... Thanks for all your years of dedication to the Hobby/Sport. With out guys like U the H/S would surly die of Old Age.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 AM
tryingagain

One thing I have not seen mentioned here is how the radio feels. If at all possible I would suggest not buying anything until you have had the opportunity to hold it. I have no bias as to what make you buy, I have used JR, Airtronics and currently Futaba and have no complaints about any of them. All of my mishaps have had to do with the carbon unit not the chip.
The reason I suggest holding it first is because of my experience. A friend had a radio for sale, nice radio, great price. I won't even say what brand because it isn't relevant. It just felt a little off in my hands. I bought it anyway. The longest I could put up with flying with it was about 10 minutes. I sold it to a some else who absolutely loves it and still likes to tell me he stole it from me.
Let me stress again there was nothing wrong with the radio. It just didn't feel right.

What ever you decide on....Enjoy!

Cheers

Gord
Old 06-26-2013, 05:18 AM
[email protected]

i used to fly single channel transmitters
Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 AM
koastrc

You are really dating yourself sir. How many winds on the escapement rubber band? Can I hit the button just right to change the engine speed? What in the world is this new bang bang thing? What is this Rand actuator?
Yes sir there is many wonderful memories in this hobby. You and are very lucky to have them. The days of remote control, or chances of controlling the thing are very remote!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 AM
[email protected]

i used my hand drill to wind the rubber bands>>> bonner escapements>>and all that was a long time ago>>learned to fly myself>>never got much help in those days lets see>> one blip for up one and hold for down 2 and holdfor left and so on but that was a long time ago iam 81 now>>> flew on 27 then went to 72.. still one 72 20 guys at our field and iam the only one on 72 rest ar 2.4>> but i do have one 2.4 and 10 futaba 4 and 6 channel radios 4 nitro engines and 3 gas engines good old days are gone
Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 AM
skyraider71

Actually I had an Airtronics RDS8000 for a year or two. Came with two Rx's and was a decent
radio. RF link was solid and reliable. At the time it was the best buy in the 2.4Ghz market. I even
considered stepping up to the SD-10G. The problem was that I ran into programming limitations
when setting up a four servo wing. The display would completely black out in moderate sunlight,
and I wasn't %100 happy with the gimble feel.
The 8FG came along and I went back to brand F.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:51 AM
RCCRAZY101

Hi I am also new to flying RC Planes. The only thing that is stopping me from flying is that my elevators only go up about half way and down about a quarter of the way. Any help would be appreciated on how to fix, I think it is a setting in my controller and I can not figure out how to fix. Fell free to send a PM to me.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think anyone could have been more opposed to a $50 radio flying a giant scale plane 1/4 & 1/3 scale. Putting a $2,500 plane in the air seems to be a lot of risk on a $50 radio...

alas, I have been proven wrong... I do not know of anyone crashing a plane because of the cheep radio. It is still not what I would do, but I am not nearly as opposed to them as before.

It really makes you sit back, scratch your head and wonder just how much fat there is in the price of these name brand radios. About time someone takes the big slice of fat out of them.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Chucksolo69

ORIGINAL: Warjet

Concur on the Tactic 650, plenty of flexibility for a newer pilot, $129 shipped free from Tower including 2 6 channel receivers. Hard to beat, and if you decided to do golf instead, you could probably sell it pretty easily.
I agree completely with the Tactic TXs. The only problem Isee is that you are pretty much limited to Hobbico for receivers while Spektrum and Futaba have low cost compatible RXs available. The one really outstanding feature with the Tactic TXs is the inclusion of wireless buddy boxing. That in itself is worth the $130.00 asking price.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:49 PM
blvdbuzzard

warjet, I was not welcomed at weed whackers. They said i flew to fast and to low. I was flying a Jr Tiger with an O.S. FP .35. They had trouble keeping track Petenpaul air camper.

I really like Chollas, Alpine was fun too. Get to practice your carrier landings.

I have to say, I may be the youngest one here to fly push button rubber band powered actuators. I had the Galloping Ghost single channel. I think I was able to get a full lap one time. tap, tap-tap, tap-tap-tap, tap-tap. so much fun with a Cox 0.049 Black Widow in the nose. Mom went broke buying C sized batteries

Any of the name brand radio will serve you well. Even some of the cheap radios will serve you well.

I helped setup a friends trainer with this radio. He has over a year on it without any issues. I mean really, this is less than most servos out there.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/exceedrc-2...-lcd-2402.html

Buzz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.