Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Radio

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 02:03 PM
jsfboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Radio

Hi guys:

Ipurchased the parkzone Super Cub a while back, and only flew it a few times, I've mostly been using a simulator but I'm at the stage I'd like to get out and fly something and am thinking of buying my first radio. I'd like to start out with park flying, and eventually own a few airplanes, but maybe one to start out with. What's the word on radios? I have about $150 to spend, or is this too low for a beginners radio? I think I might need a receiver with that also.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:56 PM
opjose

Default RE: First Radio

Radios are one of those things that you want to get as much as you possibly can afford, since ideally you'll be using it for a VERY LONG time.

Yes you CAN start with a cheaper TX and move up later, but if you do this you'll be travelling down the same path I did.... something I regretted.

I ended up with a slew of radios, each a bit more expensive than the last but not all that great.

When I finally purchased a radio that GREATLY exceeded my needs ($700.00 or so), I stopped buying transmitters completely.

Had I taken half of the money I spent on the multiple transmitters and purchase ONE VERY high end transmitter instead, I still would be money ahead and STILL have the TX I own now.

So, yes you could take the 150.00 and get something that will work... but you are better off putting off the purchase and waiting until you can double that, and purchase a good 8+ channel computer controlled TX with 30-50 model memories...

Yes there are decent TX in the $200.00+ range now but why limit yourself when you go to buy one.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

And while there is much in Opjose's post that does have merit, most of which I do agree with, before you go spend major amounts of cash on a big fancy radio you really need to ask and answer two questions:
1) Do I plan to stay in this hobby or is this something I don't really know if I'm going to stick with?
2) If I stick with flying, do I want to only do park flyers or move up to bigger and more complex aircraft as time goes on?
If you answer either of these with a "NO" or "I DON'T KNOW", save your cash and stick with the simple radio that "just meets your needs". That way, if you decide the hobby isn't for you, you're not out a bunch of money.
If you answer these both with a "YES", save up for one that will exceed anything you ever expect to need because that will probably cover a majority of the planes and capabilities you will end up needing in the future
Old 06-22-2013, 03:55 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Opjose is right for pilots who are going to move up to 6-8 channel planes that need multiple mixes and rates, but that's not all pilots. A Spektrum dx6i will fit the bill for all park flyers and most 4-6 channel sport planes and it's pretty close to your budget.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got a Spektrum DX6i and I am perfectly happy with it. It'll do plenty for most of the flying that I'm doing and it has 10 model memory. But you're going to run into many who will say you should save up and spend more on higher models of Tx's. That would mean spending twice as much. You'll have to decide what you really need and want to spend. Since mine was a Christmas gift, I didn't want her to spend any more than was needed.

On another thought, I've got a DX5e that I use strictly for a Parkzone Radian and it's works just fine. Extremely simple radio, but only for one model.

I'd be willing to bet, if you stay in the hobby, no matter what, you're going to end up with a slew of radios.

Happy flying.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:39 PM
opjose

jsfboat : There you have it... all sides of the possible approaches, all have merit and I can't disagree with any of them.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:56 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

I bought a simple 4 ch radio and used it on a trainer. It worked great and supplied me with my own buddy box for later use. Iended up doing what opjose did. I bought several radios and then finally settled on a radio I love. I do not regret it though as I am the guy at the field that knows all radios. I can program spectrum, futaba, airtronics and many others. Iunderstand how all the radios work and how they feel. I would never have gotten there if I did not pull the sticks on every radio from the Tower 4 ch to the Futaba 18. I ended up with airtronics due to my own choices and needs. Ihave a DX6I and I love it for flying all the small airplanes I have. and a helis also. I took the ratchet out for the helis and while on my SD10G I like having the ratchet I do not like the ratchet on the helis. Ifilled the 10 models up with 3 helis and 7 park flyers. My SD10G is for my bigger airplanes and pattern aircraft. It has been modded with super heavy springs on the gimbals. Having stated all this I would suggest the DX6I for your needs or maybe the Tactic 6** whatever it is. They have enough features to give you a good learning and also are backed by good companies. ALso though the Airtronics RDS-8000 is a good radio too I have one and like it.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:02 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

In your situation I would recommend the Tactic TTX650. I just bought one after using a JR 10X and a JR 9303. The Tactic 650 has most of the programming of the more expensive radios. It should work well for most airplanes up to maybe 30cc size. 6 channels will run most of those sizes of planes. Has a 20 plane memory. Easy to program. Assignable switches and outputs. Full range receivers were $20-30 at Tower. I bought 4 rxs. and the Tx for $184 with discounts. As a starter radio it should last for quite a while. My only complaint is the weight. It feels too light after the heavier radios. I still use the JRs on my gassers. They are also coming out with an 8 chan. version some time this year.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

Concur on the Tactic 650, plenty of flexibility for a newer pilot, $129 shipped free from Tower including 2 6 channel receivers. Hard to beat, and if you decided to do golf instead, you could probably sell it pretty easily.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll plug the Airtronics RDS8000. I've had mine 3 years now and it's adequate. I'd like to have flight modes for aerobatics, but that's a luxury I can live without for now.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:44 AM
ncsky

I would also have to agree on a good choice being Tactic ttx650. Great 6 chanel system and as stated above youn can get it with 2 receivers to you door for $129. Good luck and happy flying.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:51 AM
siberianhusky

My thoughts are if you stick with the hobby you will enjoy having a name brand radio with good support from the manufacturer, if you don't stick with it it's easier to sell the name brand stuff to get your money back.
Nothing wrong with the cheaper radios but they are disposable unless you can do the repairs yourself.
Personally not interested in playing with updating firmware etc that most people do with the 9 channel chinese radios.
Some people love being able to customize everything about all I want to do inside a radio is change to the throttle ratchet if it comes set up smooth...
Spektrum does open up a wide world of bind and fly models if that's what interests a person.
Personally don't mind paying more for an RX if I can get it from my local hobby shop, if it doesn't work I take it right back and get a new one. Don't like waiting for weeks for stuff to arrive from overseas.
LOL lots of good radios out there to suit everybodies needs, pretty much just choose what you like at a comfortable price point.......
Old 06-23-2013, 06:53 AM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: ec121

In your situation I would recommend the Tactic TTX650. I just bought one after using a JR 10X and a JR 9303. The Tactic 650 has most of the programming of the more expensive radios. It should work well for most airplanes up to maybe 30cc size. 6 channels will run most of those sizes of planes. Has a 20 plane memory. Easy to program. Assignable switches and outputs. Full range receivers were $20-30 at Tower. I bought 4 rxs. and the Tx for $184 with discounts. As a starter radio it should last for quite a while. My only complaint is the weight. It feels too light after the heavier radios. I still use the JRs on my gassers. They are also coming out with an 8 chan. version some time this year.

I agree on the value of the TTX 650. price value for entry level is great.

I think its light weight is a great feature. With extra battery and external tx module my HITEC Aurora is very heavy.

I have 35 airplanes and I think that the TTX650 would be capable of flying all of them.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:22 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We Airtronics flyers are out numbered 10 to one. Yet you do not see many if any posts about problems with Airtronics. They are a great product.

Hobby People has the RD8000 on sale for $139.99 in the latest flyer June 28th through July 4th.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...1-rx-only.html

I also have a 9x. It is $80.00 and has been a good radio. It is very capable radio with $11.00 6 channel Rx's. There are a lot of people who just hate the 9x. Others love it. Mine has been problem free.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-th9x-r...nel-radio.html

Buzz.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM
straitnickel

Whtch right here in the market for a good used radio, buy all the radio you can, you'll put off the upgrade for a longer period.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 AM
jsfboat

Thanks for the replies, but a question after reading the posts. Can the tactic 650 be used on some of the parkzone flyers? I'd like to get into that soon as I get comfortable again flying a trainer. Or are the Parkzones for use with strictly Specktrum?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 AM
straitnickel

Spectrum and JR are one and the same to me.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DX6i does not fit in the budget of the OP ($150) the radio with a receiver is $209.
I would look at the radios from Hobby King... lots of function there... very inexpensive.

I know several guys who are using them. I went the more expensive route. What you pay does not always get you value.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Hobby King is the last place I'd go. I've read too many horror stories about long waits, poor customer service and cheap to downright bad products. Since I've not dealt with HK, I can't say how much is fact or just sour grapes but, that being said, there has to be something going on with so many complaints being posted
Old 06-23-2013, 11:19 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hydro Junkie

Hobby King is the last place I'd go. I've read too many horror stories about long waits, poor customer service and cheap to downright bad products. Since I've not dealt with HK, I can't say how much is fact or just sour grapes but, that being said, there has to be something going on with so many complaints being posted
As I have dealt with Hobby King, I can say that yes, they can be a pain from time to time, and the wait can be long also (3 weeks for some items). That said, as well all know too well, you do indeed get what you pay for in life, and cheap cost does not = great client support (though it IS there IF you know what buttons to push). Just make sure you buy NOTHING that is on 'backorder'.
As for the Turnigy 9X they sell, my dad and a LOT of people at his club are using them, and they are not actually a bad radio. The 2.4g protocol works, and works well. Look up RCMODELREVIEWS on youtube, he has a few very good reviews on them ([link]http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCahqHsTaADV8MMmj2D5i1Vw[/link]).
Personally, for $56 for a transmitter & RX and I think about $9-17 for a spare receiver, for sub $150 radios, you can't go wrong with it.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:49 AM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the Futaba 6EX and 7C FASST. Futaba's FASST system is
stone reliable and is well worth the investment.
The 6J and 8J are more affordable options worth looking at also.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:08 PM
helicrazedout

My Dx7 has suited my needs well and i have stuck with it over 5 years no problems, that being said if i was you get the 9x quarter the price and 9 channels
Old 06-23-2013, 03:06 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guy has a budget... I mentioned something within his budget. Sure there are a lot more choices when the budget increases. For the money, the flysky FS-TH9X at hobbypartz.som gives a lot of value for a beginner.

Also need to point out that Futaba, Spektrum and JR radios are available from HobbyKing. Why would these major brands distribute their product from a disreputable retailer? Answer; They Don't.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 PM
ssautter

ORIGINAL: jsfboat

Thanks for the replies, but a question after reading the posts. Can the tactic 650 be used on some of the parkzone flyers? I'd like to get into that soon as I get comfortable again flying a trainer. Or are the Parkzones for use with strictly Specktrum?
No,

The Tactic uses a different (and proprietary) radio signal. It is called SLT, or "secure link technology".

Any Spektrum or JR radio,with a DSM2 or DSMX signal, will fly all of the newer Hobbyzone Super Cubs, any Parkzone or e-Flite BNF aircraft, and any BladeBNF helicopter.

The Spektrum DX6i will fly helicopters, airplanes, sailplanes, and multi-rotors with ease. And, it is available, without a receiver, for less than 150 bux: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...FW1yQgodlEQApw

If you didn't have the HZ Cub, I might recommend a different radio, but the Spektrum DX6i has served me well, among many Futaba, Hitec, and Walkera radios.

Horizon Hobby's outstanding customer service is also a good choice for the noob. Go for it.....

Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 PM
ssautter

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

Spectrum and JR are one and the same to me.
Don't get confused!

All 2.4Ghz radios are "spread spectrum" radios.

Spektrum is a Horizon Hobby brand, similiar to JR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.