Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner at 66

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner at 66

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 AM
HighAndWideat65
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Beginner at 66

I have a Ziroli Stearman short kit with 86" wing,that I was hoping there was a build project for here? I have put together an Air Camper 24" wing poorly,I'm on a Sig clip-wing cub 56" wing not much better then the Air camper, I have a Sopwith Pup from Tony Clark with a Tinan ZG38Sc with redution gear coming. But without building instruction for the Stearman I feal a little over whelmed. Thanks Lawrence
Old 08-20-2013, 08:29 AM
daddyrabbit1234
My Feedback: (14)

You've come to the right place for help. I'm a beginner myself in the last year. If you can explain what you need help with these guy's can fix your problem's. I have yet to throw something at these guy's that they can't fix. Best of luck in your venture and welcome.
Thomas
Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 AM
HighAndWideat65

Thanks I forgot to mention that I bought a Moki 150 for the stearman from Vogelsang,when I first flew in a Stearmen I loved the plane and the Radial engine so had to put one in my plane.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try contacting Zeroli , they might have plans . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-21-2013, 12:20 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In my opinion, I think that you should build a few easier designs before taking on this project.

Build a trainer. Make it straight and flyable. Then build a GP Sportster, or Sig 4 Star. Then, maybe a Sig 1/4 Cub. This will give you the experience needed to attempt a Ziroli design, without the aid of instructions.

You have to learn how to build straight and true, before attempting more advanced building procedures. You should develop a knowledge of how and why certain procedures are done.

We are all in a constant stage of learning. Nobody knows everything. We have to learn how to walk, before we can run.

It will be to your best interest to take your time, and achieve the skill necessary to build a Ziroli Stearman.

Last edited by TomCrump; 08-21-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:00 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Tom said!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 PM
red head

I also agree with Tom. ( Walk before ya run ) I was just suggesting how you could possibly get the plans. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-21-2013, 04:26 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the above +1

But at 65 walking may be a chore so just go at your pace and all ways plan at least 3 steps ahead of what you are working on ao walking on I know as I am 81

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 08-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Edwin

Another agreeing with Tom. I have the ziroli 77" stearman. I love flying that plane. But its considered an advanced builder project that leaves a fair amount of decisions up to the builder about equipment setup, which is as it should be. After the basic frame is built, you start doing a little of your own designing based on your preferences. I find this the fun part. Once you have some building under your belt, I would recommend building a Phaeton 90 biplane kit from Balsa USA. Thats also a great plane, and set up with a few mods, it becomes as gentle as a trainer. It does wonderful slow speed aerobatics. The ziroli stearman flys a bit different due to bigger size (77"ws in my case) and weight. But its not overwhelming.
Edwin
Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For threads on building you may want to use the search engine in the kit building forum. I remember seeing a number of build threads on the PT-17 over the years. As Tom said, you may be a bit over your head on this one and I'm sure if you just phoned Nicks shop they can get you a set of plans and instructions. Once you get those you may want to ask around and see if you can borrow an incidence meter {or two} from a club member. The meter is a must have tool if your into building Bipes. The 17 must be built straight and true if you want a good flier.
Check out the building forum.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Ziroli designed airframe, had no building instructions. It was just a set of plans.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01097.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1911657  
Old 08-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
My Ziroli designed airframe, had no building instructions. It was just a set of plans.
Then a build thread could really help. I built his NP-28 from plans and it was a real thrill. Old design and only a 40 size.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Edwin

There are a couple of build threads for the ziroli 87" stearman at rcscalebuilders.com
Edwin
Old 08-30-2013, 08:32 AM
HighAndWideat65

Thanks guy's I have worked on some very old Pica,Goldburg kits, soft,bowed wood,but they are helping me in learning how to cut,glue,and just allowing me to get familar with the structure of a plane. I need to build large planes because ten months ago I was all most killed on my motorcycle when a Van ran a stop sign and hit me.It destroyed my left side,broke nine ribs,broken wrist,crushed my left hand,which doesn't allow me to grasp and hold small pieces,I've also been in a wheel chair all this time because when he ran over me the Van crushed my left leg just above the ankle,which I had too have re broken and stretched about one mouth ago because it hasn't healed. It's been a fun year so far.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:03 AM
drube

Wow! Sorry to hear about your accident! I gave up riding years ago because of some close calls. Listen to these guys here, they know what they're talking about. They're very friendly and helpful and if you have any questions, someone will pop in with an answer. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM
RV Winkle

Here is a link that might be helpful, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-s...n-build-2.html I would imaging there are a number of similarities.
I would not attempt that one until I knew i was not going to mess up too badly and waste my time and money, but that is just me and I am re-entering the hobby after 35 years.
Have you visited a local hobby shop (LHS)? They might be helpful folks to chat with as well
Old 08-30-2013, 09:39 AM
HighAndWideat65

Thanks,that is the one I'm building,not having direction and even better pictures has made me think,I've bought the plans,wood,Robert landing gear and his wheels($95 each). I could build a plane I just got,it's a Sopwith Pup Kit, by Tony Clark,and I'll run has Zenoah G-38 with a gear-reduction drive turning a 32" prop at 1500-2000 RPM's like the original,but that has about three times the number of parts,well I might be crazy but fear of crashing will not stop me from having fun,life can be over in a minute as I almost found out.I really love this sight, and you guys are a great help thanks.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

All good advice from Tom, do yourself a favour & take it!

But at 65 walking may be a chore so just go at your pace and all ways plan at least 3 steps ahead of what you are working on ao walking on I know as I am 81
In you situation I would plan at least 3 steps BEHIND of what you are working on.

The most important word here is plan.

From your post I'd assume you have limited building experience & no flying experience?

Is that the case? Let everyone know & we can come up with a plan. - John.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:04 PM
HighAndWideat65

Thanks John,what you said is all true,I have a little building experience and was learning too fly and a month later I was hit by the Van, so that took care of flying. I was a Sculptor,a machinist, built and raced sport cars(SCCA) so I can build stuff,it's just if you have no experience ,you can't make good decisions,there is where I'm lacking. My problem is I can buy any thing I want, and so I have bought these two planes with motors for around $7400. and that is a lot too spend on planes that could crash if not built right.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:23 PM
red head

You know there are a lot of builders out there ( just hard to find ) that would probably love to be a mentor to your projects . That's where contacting a club and checking with the local hobby shop can be a great help .

There IS someone out there that would like to work with you, you just need to find them. Contacting the club or shop could possibly put you in contact with someone . There has to be a lot of interest in your area ( I haven't been there in years ) . Just DON'T be afraid to ask for help , it's odd how many people are more then ready to jump into projects like this, sometimes just because they need to get away from their own projects
Old 08-30-2013, 03:54 PM
red head

Sorry about the dead end, my internet dropped me for a bit. As I was saying there has to be a Buddy in your area, it just might take a little more work on your part , but it will probably be worth it.
I've been instructing for years but the last couple I've been putting up with back problems and it's to the point that I'm just not into standing and taking the time the students need. That doesn't stop me from helping a special needs person or trying to help someone do a repair or even a build. In fact I'm helping a neighbor with a lot of building that has stage 4 cancer. We have gotten to be pretty good friends but if not for building / flying I probably wouldn't have even spent the time of day with him very often. Just don't give up Anyway, if we can help ~~ ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-30-2013, 05:00 PM
HighAndWideat65

Thanks Red,I do belong too a club,but like most men I find it hard too ask for help, I've always been able to watch someone and do it, I right now am buying all the stuff stuff for building from scratch. I have a few old planes I plan to use as practice material,but I don't want to put a lot of money for servo's and engines in them,the planes are cheap it's all the rest to get it flying that cost money I'm finding out. I have a Pica,Aeronca 1/5 scale Sedan with a 84" wing that I'm working on,making a few mistakes but that all right, I want to thank all you guys.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Club member - great!

A couple of models suitable for training - great!

Find yourself a mentor at the club & get as many lessons as you can, over & over again, no one
will ever truthfully claim these things are easy to learn to fly.

Treat your trainers as tools. Don't get emotionally attached to them, if you crash one just buy another ARF & carry on.

Sure, develop your building skills but learning to fly the things is most important otherwise you are just building ornaments.

BTW, how is your eyesight after your accident? May be worth a checkup. I've attempted to train quite a few students who couldn't see!

They did 100% better after a new prescription! - John.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:01 AM
HighAndWideat65

Flying experiance,before the accident I got a Champ(very small) and crashed it a lot, then I bought a Glasair Sportsman,but haven't been able to fly that because I'm still in a wheel chair,hopefully I'll be able to walk in a few weeks if thing go well.I also bought a Goldburg Decathlon used complete very nice for $300 that will be my practice fuel plane until I get the Pica Aeronca 1/5 scale Sedan done then I'll put the Saito FA 100 from the Decathlon in it,so if it crashes not much lost,that is the plan for right now.I'm also converting my Art Studio into a Plane building space,so trying to get all the stuff for that,you don't realize how much you need,like clamps,pins power tools,and the list goes on.I'm a Class A personality that needs too be moving and for the last eleven months I've been confined too a wheel chair with a crippled left hand,it has not been easy.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 AM
RV Winkle

Well you know you could start a build thread over in that section and I am sure you would get more suggestions than you would know what to do with

Back in the old times we did not have directions so the start point was to put the plans down on a plank and cover with wax paper and then start id parts to plans pinning down and gluing the fuselage together then usually the rudder sub assembly, elevator sub and then wiwings

I am starting a kit for a plane I had back in 1975 and it was a poor kit back then and despite being kitted by a different manufacturer is still a poor kit but it will keep me busy. The kit came from eBay and did not have the plans with it so I have ordered the plans from rcm plan service

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.