Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

start w/ 40 or 60

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

start w/ 40 or 60

Old 09-14-2013, 05:42 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as hardware, I cant tell you anything more than whats already been said. However, I teach for the club and found that senior members tend to gravitate to a .60 sized trainer. My personal all time favorite is the Hobbistar .60, very stable, and durable. The Kadet is great too, especially the senior. One thing to note is the larger trainers can handle higher winds and penetrate better. Those students usually stand down around 18mph.
Edwin
Old 09-14-2013, 08:23 AM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go 60 and put one of the new Evolution 10cc gasoline engines on it. Skip right over the expensive to run glow engines.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With trainers this is the one plane I recommend an ARF, after that I recommend building, at least once. I have been given the trainers I have taught with and as far as flying I don't see a lot of difference between the 40 and 60 but I prefer the 60 size or bigger. If your going to build your first one then I like the big Sr. Telemaster. Easy to build, easy to fly and doesn't require a lot of power. I did have a .60 in mine but it was just an engine I had on hand. The big plane is fun to fly in the wind too.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:15 PM
mike109

G'day

I second John Buckner's comment - the Sig Kadet is a 60 size model which only needs a 40 size engine as it is nice and light. This means it does not need to fly fast to stay in the air.

I have three at the moment. My favourite has a 62 Saito in it but I recently converted another to use a 46 class electric motor and it flies really well too. With a 5000MAh 4 cell battery, it will fly for about 30 minutes at training speeds.

I also like the Kadet LT-40 too. It is quite large for a 40 size trainer.

As has been said, big planes generally fly better than small ones. I have three of the Four Star series - 40, 60 and 120 and the 60 flies better than the 40 and the 120 flies better than the 60.

The Sig Kadet is also available as a kit (which is my favourite version). It does not have ailerons (which I like) but you can easily add them if you want to. It is a great plane to build and to fly.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 09-16-2013, 03:23 PM
ptjeff

Thanks to all who have taken the time answer a question that I'm sure has gotten plenty of attention over the years. I hope to contribute meaningful comments to the group as well as meet many of you, even though it doesn't seem that many are chiming in from my neck of the woods yet.
Thanks again for making me feel encouraged to begin this hobby I have dreamed about since I was a kid
Old 09-16-2013, 04:47 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So Jeff where is "your neck of the woods"?

John
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 PM
ptjeff

John,

I started another tread in the beginners section hoping to get connected with anybody tied to the Cleveland Ohio area clubs. So far, a little traffic, but no introductions.
You probably can fly year round, but up here there is about a 6 month winter season. I have seen some pictures of fliers that put skies on their gear and land on snow, so I think they are out there.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:56 PM
JohnBuckner

You are right we fly pretty much year round I would love get in more ski time but alas it has only happened once in my fifteen years flying at this field. So that beautiful day with six inchs of powder out come the the float planes and it was wonderful.

Included in the admittedly eclectic variety of aircraft in my hanger are three Senior Cadets. The first is the latest Sig arf version and this is the most flown as I use it for flight training the fellows. I choose to power it with an under the recommendation .35 OS AX. This has been shown to be a perfect engine for this working airplane and indeed it is no dog and do remember it is a full size eighty inch Cadet as big as any sixty size trainer.

OK the next Cadet in my hanger I chose to increase the wingspan by seven inchs and power it with four OS .25FX. This airplane has been a wonderful experience and has been flying now about 15 years. It flys on wheels or floats and flys at night with many euphoric night flights under its belt.

The third Senior Cadet in my hanger is my latest and I have groomed this ship for long cross country flights. It carries 115 ounces of fuel and is powered with an OS .65 AX. Originally I started with the .95AX but after early flights downsized displacement in the interest of fuel economy when it was realized that the extra power was not needed. This airplane has done a static flight (no traveling) at our field of 6 hours and 12 minutes. The trip that this dream was started was the route from Long Beach Ca to Avelon bay Santa Catalina island. I just got in the first flight on floats last week and it appears my single float with balance floats is going to work out.

There is another Cadet in my hanger but alas its not a Senior but instead a Seniorita. This was a smaller Cadet about the size of most forty sized ships but power was intended to be a .25. I choose to make this ship a twin with two removable underwing nacelles for a pair of .25FX . What makes this unique is not that its a twin but the fact it is also a glider and becomes so in under four minutes The nacelles are dropped the flight pack battery is shifted from under the stabilizer to the very tip of the nose and replugged in a Y harness. This to maintain proper CG as a glider and it is equipped with a tow realease next to the nose wheel. It is aerotowed aloft with and eighty foot towline by my Stearman.

So if it appears by now that I am somewhat of a Cadet fan I will concede that. They are arguably the most successful 'full house' (four control) trainer in the history of RC aircraft. But they are so much more than that as you can gather by my descriptions above.

John
Old 09-17-2013, 05:00 AM
JohnBuckner

Not necessarily so, if you compare forty to sixty size trainers which is after all the question there is very little difference in cost.

John
Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

John's right. Besides, you should never buy things based on what will be cheaper or less trouble to crash. Pilots who plan to crash usually do. Pilots who plan to fly successfully usually do. Make a choice.