Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

difference in rudder steering and aileron steering

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

difference in rudder steering and aileron steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I flew three channel, rudder, elev, throttle for about six years before I flew my first aileron plane. There was virtually no learning curve at all. That's because I set up my three channel planes as above, rudder on right stick. The dihedral made it roll, as other explained.

On my last 3 channel plane I also used my computer radio to get rudder off both the right and the left stick. Then I taught myself to taxi and do the take off run with the left stick and switched to the right stick when it was flying. That made the transition from 3 to 4 channels absolutely a non-issue.

However, my first aileron plane was not a Corsair! It was a trainer. I quickly realized it was not necessary and went to a low wing sport plane easily. But it still wasn't a Corsair.

Three channel planes are usually more self correcting, as someone said...release the stick and they tend to right themselves. But not always; some will drop into a spiral dive if not pulled out of a turn with opposite rudder, much as an aileron must be pulled out of a turn with opposite aileron.

Jim
Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I flew a Corsair once.......once

Granted it was a UM Corsair, and it was a tad windy, but amazing how quickly it can go crack when you arent very good. Today however, flying a Corsair will not be as big a challenge for me, have a few hours of flying under my belt and can fling a 4* around the sky, fly a twin engine Twin Otter and make it look as graceful as the real thing, and land on the numbers over the top of 10' tall corn. Someday I might pull the old UM corsair out of the box and put the new wing on and give it a try, but only if I can fly it off pavement, have yet got the hang of hand tossing a plane, would much rather take off from the ground like a plane is supposed to do.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
I flew three channel, rudder, elev, throttle for about six years before I flew my first aileron plane. There was virtually no learning curve at all. That's because I set up my three channel planes as above, rudder on right stick. The dihedral made it roll, as other explained.

On my last 3 channel plane I also used my computer radio to get rudder off both the right and the left stick. Then I taught myself to taxi and do the take off run with the left stick and switched to the right stick when it was flying. That made the transition from 3 to 4 channels absolutely a non-issue.

However, my first aileron plane was not a Corsair! It was a trainer. I quickly realized it was not necessary and went to a low wing sport plane easily. But it still wasn't a Corsair.

Three channel planes are usually more self correcting, as someone said...release the stick and they tend to right themselves. But not always; some will drop into a spiral dive if not pulled out of a turn with opposite rudder, much as an aileron must be pulled out of a turn with opposite aileron.

Jim
I introduced a friend to the hobby in 2010 and his first plane was a 4 channel Island Hopper which was underpowered but enough to learn the basics. After going solo he bought a Parkzone Corsair and a DX6i. I had no experience with the PZ aircraft at that point and told him it may be too advanced for a second aircraft. I am happy to say I was wrong.

He asked me to maiden it and get it trimmed. It was a complete *****cat. very easy to fly with a wide speed range, a docile stall and no vices at all. After a few flights with me doing landings he was on his own..

It flew so easily and nicely that I ended up buying one myself. It won't win any scale contests but is a very easy Corsair to fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSKJpoqxRRM acdii, I had the UM Corsair also, it doesn't like wind and is very underpowered. I flew mine a few times, but lost interest and gave it to my friend, (mentioned above)

The tiny wheels just don't work on grass so they always flip on landing. I fly my Ultra Micros without wheels these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdFTuOUK_cA
Old 10-03-2013, 12:56 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ragingbeaver

You should heed the advice given to you about purchasing an aileron equipped trainer first.

Do NOT buy something from ValueHobby, Nitroplanes, etc. to start out with. The problem with those is that they are geared for people who have some prior experience putting planes like that together. It sounds like you have none.

Try something from Tower or Horizon instead. Planes from either of those two companies come with a comprehensive manual that goes into many tips and techniques you should acquire.
Don't worry about putting together something yourself... the manuals are quite good and walk you through everything... the added bonus is that they also stock replacement parts too, something you will not get from import vendors.

Try to get a larger plane ( larger = easier ). Consider a glow or gas powered trainer, as you can typically get far more flights on these planes per day, and they do better in light wind conditions that ground many electric planes, particularly the electric foam trainers.

The balsa & wood planes are EASY to fix too. You'll learn good woodworking skills as you progress, eventually you'll get to the point that you can repair almost any damage with nothing more than store bought balsa, glue & covering.... and your repairs will look as good as new, something that does not happen with foam planes.

But above all, find a club, go to their meetings and training sessions. You'll learn a lot and you may even pick up a complete trainer system for a song from a member who is moving up.