Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Want to build a biplane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Want to build a biplane

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 AM
Phizinza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to build a biplane

Hi. I want to build a biplane.

Reason,
Want a slow flying plane that will take a go pro.

Reason 2,
I think they look cool.

Questions,
How large of a wing span do you think i will need to carry the weight of a go pro?
How big of a motor?
What airfoil would be best suited to what i am after?

Many thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:39 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some thing like a 1/4 scale Stampe will do the trick nicely. Mine had a 120 4st which was ample and in its time it toffee bombed and carried a camera.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I won't get into the best Bipe for your purpose but the best flying Bipe I have ever had was the Tiger Moth. The plane was as close to a simple flying trainer I have ever had. In my case it was a 66 inch Premier Balsa kit from the UK, long discontinued but there are a lot of Moths still being cut as kits and ARFs plus plans. It will still do most any stunt but it is relaxing to fly. Just an all around good plane. I'm still kicking myself for ever selling it!!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Phizinza

These are a bit bigger than I was hoping for, I was hoping for around the 900mm wing span, out is that impossible to gain the weight carrying I want?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

One that size might handle the weight (go pros don't weigh much), but it will be so twitchy in the wind your video will make you sick to watch it. A .40 size 4 star or ugly stick would be decent choices if it doesn't have to be a biplane. I have a BUSA Phaeton that is a nice flyer if you are truly married to the hope idea.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:46 AM
weazel1

tiger moth is a good way go but 1/4 scale not really but would be nice a 60 size would work my 2 cents
Old 10-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only pointed out the Moth because out of all the bipes I have built it is the most stable/smooth plane I have had. Mine was a 66 inch span and I only used an OS .70fs glow engine. I have seen a number of plans for the moth, I think there are plans for it on the AMA and Airage plans site. The beauty of building from plans and cutting your own kit is you can reduce the plans to any size you like. Do to the lack of kits these days building from plans is perhaps the best way to go, it gives you a fantastic amount of choices. The Moth will also allow you a broad choice of motors if you want to go electric and has plenty of room for batteries and other systems. I may have a photo of mine in my gallery?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Sig Hog Bipe is a great choice