Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Instructor to beginner again

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Instructor to beginner again

Old 11-22-2013, 04:22 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instructor to beginner again

I was practicing on my sim and just out of curiousity thought it would be interesting to try to fly mode1 after flying mode 2 for over 4 decades.
I started with a trainer and after an hour or so, switched to a P-51 Mustang. Whoa!! I have a very good idea on what's like to be a beginner again.
I did the same hovering a heli on my sim. lol

So, for those, who on ocassion gets a little frustrated while teaching beginners, switch your Real Flight sim transmitter over to mode1 and practice flying. lol

fliers1
Old 11-22-2013, 08:33 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why in the world would you want to do that......I can see if you flew mode 1 enough that it could cost you an airplane. So much of what we do is instinctive that you could put in the wrong command
Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 AM
fliers1

The idea is not to learn how to fly mode1, but to get an idea of what it's like to be a beginner again. I said that to practice this way on a simulator NOT on a RC airplane. BTW, I have had beginners come to me with mode 1 transmitters.

Seems that is they way everyone flew in their clubs way up in Canada.
Needless to say, I couldn't help them with their airplanes, but since they came so far to learn to fly, I did give them some mode2 sticktime on my trainer.

fliers1
Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by fliers1

Seems that is they way everyone flew in their clubs way up in Canada.

fliers1
I would beg to differ... Mode 2 since the 70' LOL
Old 11-22-2013, 01:23 PM
fliers1

Originally Posted by vasek
I would beg to differ... Mode 2 since the 70' LOL
Depends on which club. They both came from the same club and said that mode 1 was the way they flew there. Don't know why they would lie to me and bring mode1 outfits with them.

fliers1
Old 11-22-2013, 02:07 PM
vasek

I'm not saying they lied, but am pretty sure most Canadians fly mode 2. Mode 1 is used mainly here in EU, but of course there are exceptions.

Cheers, V.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:06 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I flew mode 1 with a sprinkling of single stick pretty much from the mid sixties to about 1994. At that point since most of my friends drifted to mode 11 and most everywhere I attended. So I made the deliberate decision make the change to Mode 11 to be able buy/sell my stuff as well as teach. Mode 1 at that point had become pretty much special order stuff.

I did successfully make the change although with considerable effort at the time and never looked back.

Fast forward to two years ago at the successful completion of my old Orbit 6 to 2.4 and therefore legal to use agine. This of course was and is just a nostalgia project so I built a period correct airplane for it a 1965 Aristo Cat with a modern OS .35AX. Well my old orbit was mode 1 of course so I just decided heck I can handle it just for this airplane.

Come maiden day with my treasured old Orbit I somehow managed a nice takeoff and even an acceptable landing However: Everything in between was, well lets just say exciting. Needless to say I went home that nite and spent midnite oil doing a changeout of the gimble springs and converting it to mode 11.

Never agine for me and just not much point in it.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AristoCat 6 (11) (Medium).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1941349  

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 11-22-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:03 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you may teach them to read, but you may not make them understand. I know what you are talking about. Kind of a brain thing to give you a sense of perspective. A challenge to undertake, not master. It teaches humility to a degree.

Last edited by bingo field; 11-23-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:05 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by bingo field
you may teach them to read, but you may not make them understand. I know what you are talking about. Kind of a brain thing to give you a sense of perspective. A challenge to undertake, not master.
BINGO! I wish I could have put it that way.

fliers1
Old 11-23-2013, 06:14 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by fliers1
I was practicing on my sim and just out of curiousity thought it would be interesting to try to fly mode1 after flying mode 2 for over 4 decades.
I started with a trainer and after an hour or so, switched to a P-51 Mustang. Whoa!! I have a very good idea on what's like to be a beginner again.
I did the same hovering a heli on my sim. lol

So, for those, who on ocassion gets a little frustrated while teaching beginners, switch your Real Flight sim transmitter over to mode1 and practice flying. lol

fliers1
Yes that is an interesting exercise. Makes you realise just how much of our RC flying depends on unconscious muscle memory. (Like any physical skill, riding a bike, driving a car etc)

I have flown only Mode 1 since 1978.

3 years ago my RC heli obsession was at a peak. I had travel to the USA and spend several weeks doing a course. I decided to buy a small Heli (Blade MSR) just to fly in my hotel room as a sanity break between study sessions..

I searched several hobby stores but none of them had a Mode 1 version.. I bought the Mode 2 RTF and attempted to fly it.. It was so incredibly difficult due to conflicting muscle memory. I made a conscious decision to stop trying because it would have only caused further grief when I got home and back to Mode 1 on the Helis (I was very much a Heli newbie then)

Before I got my first radio in 1978 I was reading RC magazines profusely, and I always imagined Mode 2 would be my preferred option as the joystick is like a real aircraft (Aileron and Elevator together)

When I bought my radio, the store only had Mode 1 and the first club I belonged to were 99% mode 1 fliers.. I was kinda disappointed until they pointed out Hanno Prettner and Wolfgang Matt, the world Pattern champions at the time, were both Mode 1 fliers.

I don't think it really matters, whichever mode you learn. the muscle memory will develop accordingly.

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-23-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
I flew mode 1 with a sprinkling of single stick pretty much from the mid sixties to about 1994. At that point since most of my friends drifted to mode 11 and most everywhere I attended. So I made the deliberate decision make the change to Mode 11 to be able buy/sell my stuff as well as teach. Mode 1 at that point had become pretty much special order stuff.

I did successfully make the change although with considerable effort at the time and never looked back.

Fast forward to two years ago at the successful completion of my old Orbit 6 to 2.4 and therefore legal to use agine. This of course was and is just a nostalgia project so I built a period correct airplane for it a 1965 Aristo Cat with a modern OS .35AX. Well my old orbit was mode 1 of course so I just decided heck I can handle it just for this airplane.

Come maiden day with my treasured old Orbit I somehow managed a nice takeoff and even an acceptable landing However: Everything in between was, well lets just say exciting. Needless to say I went home that nite and spent midnite oil doing a changeout of the gimble springs and converting it to mode 11.

Never agine for me and just not much point in it.

John
John, that is exactly how a model RC aircraft should look.. Rubber bands and all.. brings back memories.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:25 AM
JohnBuckner

Thank you Rob and that very much appreciated

Another of my nostalgia projects is in progress now and its a biggie to me. That old Orbit above which I purchased in 1970 is AM and that was what facultated the actual conversion to 2.4 where the Hitec module replaces the orginal RF output section in the Orbit.

Now I am not a electronics type so this work was done for me by kid I started mentoring here I think when he was around ten. He later went on to Embry Riddle and is now an avionics designer for an avionics firm and government contractor. Yes I am proud of both he and his sister who both even earned ama scholorships when they went off to school.

Anyway the conversion of the Orbit was actually pretty simple with the use of a scope but this ongoing project is not so simple. That is a Futaba nine channel PCM single stick that I purchased in 1994. It is a PCM only radio which is what makes simple bypass of the RF section that was done with the Orbit impractical. Oh man what to do? I really wanted to use this radio once agine a nostalgia project but as 2.4. Well the kid took on the project about a year ago of gutting the single stick and replacing it entirely with the internals of one of my old Hitec Prism 7X's . The difficult project is about half way complete now that's exciting for me to use this old single stick agine.

Now I have a question, Yes I know that there have been four recognized modes over time but I have never heard of any mode assigned to single stick radios. So can anyone shed any light on was single stick over covered by a mode or always just simply single stick?

John
Old 11-24-2013, 08:59 AM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I flew a Kraft single for about 15 years John, and as far as I can remember, the rudder was always on the knob. In my research into some of the early pioneers (reed era), many of the aircraft were steered around with the rudder/elevator while the ailerons were reserved for rolls. This is why you see so many of the 8/10 channel designs from the late 50's with so much dihedral.

I had forgot that you recently built an Aristo-Cat. I am surprised that a .35 is enough power, but then engines today are much stronger than 1962 or '63 when Bud Atkinson started developing the Aristo-Cat. He used a Veco .45 according to his MAN article on the plane in the May 1964 issue. Did you build yours as a Class II or did you add ailerons? Anyway, I found a Midwest kit last summer, so it's on the bucket list.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 AM
JohnBuckner

Hey HP was hopeing you would come on board this thread. What I ment about a mode assignment was not any change in the the stick or rudder on the stick I was just wondering if any had ever called single stick itself a mode. I don,t think so but just curious.

The Aristo Cat I added ailerons according to plan but I did add two little servos in underwing surface mounts. I also used the plans dihedral recommended in the plans but that indeed is a bit much and the airplane flys nicer as you said with just rudder. The plans ailerons are very skinny and not much chord,.

If the 'Kid' I mentioned is successful in the implant of the Hitec 2.4 components in my Futaba 9channel single stick (well, it will just be a shell and gimbels of the futaba) I am building up a Goldberg Sailplane for it.

John

Name:	2.4 single stick Futaba.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1942022  

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 11-25-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:43 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ambitranmitteres. Always fun to try the other side of the brain.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM
HighPlains

John, I will most likely build the Aristo-Cat as a Class II (that means rudder, elevator, motor only for the new guys).

The Goldberg Sailplane sounds like a great project, nothing beats sunlight glowing though open structure. That was a "simplified" Goldberg design compared to his earlier Valkyrie. I've always thought that building a Valkyrie or a Berkeley Custom Privateer designed by Don McGovern would be the ultimate expression of balsa, though the Valkyrie might be something to do while serving a life sentence. There must be several thousand pieces of balsa in that design. I have plans to it, and I still don't fully understand the wing design.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:36 PM
JohnBuckner

Wow you have great taste HP I have always drooled over the big Custom Privateer, Seen one show up at the London Bridge float fly maybe 6/7 years ago boy was that thing majestic.

As a result of this thread I got out the Aristo Cat this morning for a couple of flights and a fresh dose of humility using the big old long stick, gravelly potted Orbit

Good feelings seem to travel in threes. Heard from that young fellow this afternoon and seems hes got the single stick project up to the point where he can wiggle servos with it now. He had to change out the resisters on each pot to get a match up or some such. Apparently now hes on the downhill run trying to figure out the packageing of the Hitec components yet.

John
Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 PM
HighPlains

My first proportional was a '70 four channel Orbit. I sold it to buy a Kraft a short time later, but I bought another last year to convert after seeing your postings on your Orbit. They may be crude compared to today's equipment, but it's a very good looking unit. I still prefer the simple folded box without the porcupine array of twenty switches on a Tupperware box. Very few airplanes need dual rates, expo, mixing up the wazoo, telemetry and the other bells and whistles.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 PM
eiutian

Why in the world would you want to do that......
Old 11-26-2013, 09:00 PM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by eiutian
Why in the world would you want to do that......

If you really don,t understand after reading the entire thread its unlikely you will ever understand, perhaps if you looked up the meaning of the word 'nostalgia'.

John
Old 11-28-2013, 12:17 AM
vasek

Name:	postvw.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1943077  
Old 11-28-2013, 04:53 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
If you really don,t understand after reading the entire thread its unlikely you will ever understand, perhaps if you looked up the meaning of the word 'nostalgia'.

John
I love my 2.4Ghz radios but nothing compares to the excitement of taking this out of the box as a 16 year old in 1980 after saving 12 months for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMFvPE_yhmo
Old 11-28-2013, 05:28 AM
JohnBuckner

Cool video on your Kraft set up Rob
Hey Vasek when I was a bit younger we use to call VW's done up like that 'Bobbers'

John
Old 11-28-2013, 06:35 AM
HighPlains

Great video Rob, really shows the quality of Kraft radios. I was also 16 when I bought my first Orbit but it took me a lot longer to save for it in 1970. My other huge purchase was about 3 years later when I bought an HP 45 calculator for $400 as an engineering student.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this stuff about Mode 1 and Mode 2 is neat reading. I started RC from CL and FF competition around 1970. Therefore mode 1 was definitely not in the line as I was well use
to handling a throttle in the left hand and the right hand was for pitch and bank, both USAF days and as a co-pilot in the airlines.. Then a few years later I moved over to a left seat in the airline game, and thanks that training was all simulator time so as to get rid of most of the brain thing as mentioned above. Certain habits are definitely a controlling factor. My hat is off to those that can do either well enough to not crash a RC machine. HA! Mode 1 is a true skill, one I will not be using in my remaining years.