Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

charging a Li-PO

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

charging a Li-PO

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Beercan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging a Li-PO

I just bought my first plane a Nine Eagles Sky Runner. It came with a Li-PO battery and charger.

According to the manual when the green light is flashing it's charging and when the green light stays on charge is complete. I just assumed the battery would come uncharged so put it on the charger, but the light was immediatley green. Are the instructions wrong or do Li-PO's come pre-charged? I'm reluctant to experiment, because of all I've read of over-charging and fire hazards.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:09 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lipos can arrive fully charged, partially charged, charged to storage voltage, completely dead or anywhere in between
BTW, congratulations for being sensible enough to ask first!!!

it likely arrived almost fully charged. If it were me, I would:
REMOVE the PROP, (JUST in case) plug everything in, confirm all flight controls work properly and in the correct direction (including the motor)
and run the motor at a reduced power setting (like 1/4 to 1/3 throttle) for a couple minutes, checking to make sure the ESC doesn't get HOT.
assuming all goes ok, put 'er back on charge.. it should take at least a couple of minutes to charge fully.

BTW, congratulations, and welcome to the addiction
Old 12-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Beercan

Thanks for the feedback Jim.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And never leave a Lipo unattended when it is charging. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Beercan

Thanks guys! I got it sorted out. The real underlying issue here was a poorly written/translated instruction manual. In another thread it was suggested to download the manual for the Cox Sky Cruiser which is the same plane but with a different name and a properly written manual. On this charger green light on means charging. When the light goes off charging is complete. Now I have a question about the TX batteries, but I'll start a new thread for that.