Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seagull Extra 260 160-180

FTL 52cc Turnigy engine to powerful for this plane?
    Last edited by izzy-israel-73; 12-24-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    In a word, YES!! (not too mention odds on too heavy).
    At only 70" in wingspan, a DLE30 or 35RA (or equivalent), or even something like a CRRC 26cc should drag it around with authority (the 3.15 hp one - there are two to chose from CRRC). This vid shows a 73" Sbach being flown on a 26cc RCGF motor (I followed his build blog as mine is the exact same airframe - but only green) and it looks more than up to it for sport flying - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP8LZPGBLP0
    That said, at an advertised weight of up to 13 pounds, the Extra does look to be somewhat 'portly' for it's size, so perhaps the 30-35cc option might suit best.
    Raptor 50 Nitro heli - OS50 Hyper
    56\" Yak54 w/ ASP.61 2 stroke, 73" gas Sbach 342, H9 P51 blue nose in progress (with DLE20)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have read a few threads lately and 26 cc doesn't cut it for sports and people have put the Dle 30cc in and are happy with it's performance but I have herd that its still not quiet enough for 3Din I am not sure what way to go sell the motor and buy a smaller motor I only paid $120.00 Aud for the Ftl 52cc new

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The DLE30 will drag it around without hesitation, but of your worried still, just get the DLE35cc. As for the 26cc not being enough for sport, that video I posted of a 73" Sbach being flown with a (low power) RCGF 26cc kinda proves it can.
    Happy Xmas.
    Raptor 50 Nitro heli - OS50 Hyper
    56\" Yak54 w/ ASP.61 2 stroke, 73" gas Sbach 342, H9 P51 blue nose in progress (with DLE20)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What about a OS FS 200 P ?