Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Starting Over Again - Starter Plan needed

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Starting Over Again - Starter Plan needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 AM
magnum

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting Over Again - Starter Plan needed

I have been inot R/C a long time. Flew my last plane back in the 90's I believe, A World Models P51. For the past 12 years I have had neck surgery and a lot of neck pain to the point I could not look up, which made flying aircraft dangerous (for me and others). However, a couple of new procedures and I can once again look up in the sky and plan to get back into R/C, even buying another 20ft trailer since I love large Large Scale planes. For the last few years I have dabbled in R/C cars and helis of an on.

My original trainer was a World models Trainer with a 90 4-stroke on it. Makes a great combination, however I found out the vibration from the 4 stroke, literally vibrated the plane apart due to construction methods. Oh, and I should mention converted the WM to a tail dragger. While some may see that bad as a first plane, since I had already raced R/C cars, my mentor/instructor at that time felt I could skip the trike setup (but I did solo with a trike as well).

I originally flew the WM trainer for probably 2 weeks before I soloed and quickly moved up to an ultra stick with I think a 1.20 on it. And within 4 months I was an instructor at the field. The reason I mention this is to give some background, so everyone will know my skill level before I ask the real question. I do understand and all basics of flight and do not think re-learning to fly is going to be a problem for me.

So with that, I am looking for a good starting plane. Of course, before I buy I am going to get with the club and find an instructor and go through the process again. You have to practice what you preach

I will probably buy a trainer, maybe a senior telemaster but in my true style will be modified (flaperons and split elev), but doubt I will be flying it long before moving up. But I always like the looks of the PT-19 and the Sig Spacewalker and my most banged around plane when the winds were up was the Ultra Stick 1.20.

It looks like the Ultra Stick 1.20 is no longer sold. So I am trying to find a large scale plane that flies like the Ultra Stick. And I have never liked the ugly sticks Looks like the Great Planes PT-19 is also no longer available, so leaning towards the Spacewalker.

Any suggestions to get me started looking/thinking. Should mention, that while my first two planes will probably be ARF's, I do plan on building a few of my later planes from scratch. But that is a ways down the road.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:22 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, a big ol' stick would be perfect for you. AMR has the really big stick kits, but I don't know of anyone making a 1.20 size ARF now.
But welcome back to the hobby.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 PM
magnum

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Yes, a big ol' stick would be perfect for you. AMR has the really big stick kits, but I don't know of anyone making a 1.20 size ARF now.
But welcome back to the hobby.
thanks. Looking at AMR now, lots of good kits. there is a Big Stick 1.20 due in Mid Jan. But I was at the field today and looks like most everyone, except for the die hard has moved to electric flight. So will be doing some pricing and comparing on electric verses glow or gas. I am sure there are endless threads on this site about it as well. But one trip to the field and talking to some old friends, definitely getting back into the hobby. And they did recommend I go with an intermediate plane as well, based on past flying skills. So just time to check the wallet now.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:47 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great Planes sells a 1.20 size 82" wingspan Giant Super Sportster ARF @ $349.98. It will fly on a 1.20-2.0 glow, a 32cc gas, or an electric system that will shake your wallet. G.P. also has a giant Big Stick ARF (the kind I think you don't care for, std. red ugly stick covering) with a 80.5" wingspan and will take same power as the Giant Super Sportster. In kits you might like a Sig 4 Star 1.20 size, about an 80" wingspan not clipped. Many like to clip a bay off each wing on this plane to make it more sporty. Small gas or 1.20 glow is what they call for. In ARF's Sig has two smaller 4 stars that come with clipped wings but they may be smaller than you will want. If you are restarting with a clean sheet as far as equipment goes and you are going to go with large planes I would power with gas. There are lots of new gas engines that will cost less than comparable power electric setups. If cost is not a factor for you than consider electric. For the average budget flyer, electric is good for park flyers and smaller planes but the costs when you get over a .40 size plane get steep real quick. Let your wallet be your guide.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:17 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While it's on a trike setup, your statement on a 'large trainer' and your past issues with planes shaking apart got me thinking this may be an idea for you, as being designed for 20-30cc gas motors, it should hopefully have some level of longevity built into it already: http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=556
Old 01-13-2014, 02:40 PM
magnum

I do like the larger scale planes at least 80" since it allows me to fly in the local BIG BIRD event when they have it, even if it is an intermediate type plane. I do like that Super Sportster. I will probably get a few 60 size planes so I can fly now and until I can pay for the larger, but that Giant Sportster is definitely tempting.

I was surprised at the field, there was a guy flying a large Edge 540 (I think) on electrics. I checked with my local hobby shop and a 1.20 size motor and batteries would be about $325. The ESC is probably not but $100-200. So the price is comparable. But, I think anything larger that a 60, like you say I would want gas. Just from the standpoint of balancing the models, I think people are having to come up with inventive ways to get the batteries as far forward as possible. You no longer have that weight ahead of the front bulkhead.

Lots of decisions, but at least I know I can grab a 40-60 for now and get in the air.

Also, made the first purchase today. Grabbed Real Flight 7. Time for a little stick time.

Originally Posted by 52larry52
Great Planes sells a 1.20 size 82" wingspan Giant Super Sportster ARF @ $349.98. It will fly on a 1.20-2.0 glow, a 32cc gas, or an electric system that will shake your wallet. G.P. also has a giant Big Stick ARF (the kind I think you don't care for, std. ...
Old 01-13-2014, 02:48 PM
magnum

Originally Posted by kiwibob72
While it's on a trike setup, your statement on a 'large trainer' and your past issues with planes shaking apart got me thinking this may be an idea for you, as being designed for 20-30cc gas motors, it should hopefully have some level of longevity built into it already: http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=556
That would definitely be a nice trainer with a airfoil that will allow a little aggressive flying. A little pricey but I will keep my eye out on this one. If it looks like I may get back in to the hobby and be an instructor again that would be a nice one to have. You could probably fly all day on one tank of gas.I would buddy box people as long as they had AMA until they actually got their plane in.

argh... decisions, decisions
Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

magnum, If you're going to "get a few 60 size planes", then take a closer look at the new Sig 4 star 60. It's an updated version of the tried and true 70" 4 star 60. It has clipped wings (dropping the wing span down to about 64"), a more aerodynamic canopy, and an enclosed engine cowl. I have one of the old 70" 60 size ARF's, and it's a great, fun to fly, knock around plane. It lands so nice that it makes me look like a good flyer!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:30 PM
magnum

Anything that will make us look good.The ole 60 4 stars were always good planes, loved the looks. I actually believe my local hobby shop has one in stock, I might be able to talk him down some. I do want to buy a few planes from the mfg's that have been around a while. It's tail dragger as well

Originally Posted by 52larry52
magnum, If you're going to "get a few 60 size planes", then take a closer look at the new Sig 4 star 60. It's an updated version of the tried and true 70" 4 star 60. It has clipped wings (dropping the wing span down to about 64"), a more aerodynamic canopy, and an enclosed engine cowl. I have one of the old 70" 60 size ARF's, and it's a great, fun to fly, knock around plane. It lands so nice that it makes me look like a good flyer!
Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 PM
magnum

So the first electronics are ordered. I have two plans two plans to beat around in. A Horizon Champ and a Parkzone P40. I have flown the Champ in my side yard, but really not enough space. I never liked rudder only planes, but I do know that we had some planes that had aileron failures and the only way to land was rudder only, so this will be good practice.

Since these are BNF planes and I do not like the transmitter I bought a Spectrum DX6i DSMX 6-channel transmitter. This radio will be for all of my BNF or PNF (is that right?) planes since it has 10 model memory. Doubt I will have more than 10 of those little buggers

For large scale planes or Gas I prefer Futaba, so the 14SG-14 Channel is on the list next, maybe this week or next.

I generally start with the radios first. Will take a few weeks to learn the settings and I have Real Flight 7 to connect too. So while I am learning I can research the planes. But I think 52larry52 is leaning me towards that 4-star. May talk to my LHS and maybe put it on hold.

some wil say crazy with 2 different brand radios, but if Futaba had a DSMX compatible radio I would get one. And I do believe there are modules that can convert it for use, but they cost about as much as I got the DX6i for.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:49 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

[QUOTE=

Since these are BNF planes and I do not like the transmitter I bought a Spectrum DX6i DSMX 6-channel transmitter. This radio will be for all of my BNF or PNF (is that right?) planes since it has 10 model memory. Doubt I will have more than 10 of those little buggers

if by PNF you mean plug and play offered by horizon, these planes don't come with a receiver or battery

some wil say crazy with 2 different brand radios, but if Futaba had a DSMX compatible radio I would get one. And I do believe there are modules that can convert it for use, but they cost about as much as I got the DX6i for.[/QUOTE]

then i'm crazy too, I have a Futaba 6ex and an Airtronics RSS 8
Old 01-15-2014, 04:08 PM
magnum

Originally Posted by rgm762
then i'm crazy too, I have a Futaba 6ex and an Airtronics RSS 8
Good to know I am not the only crazy person And yes, I probably will not have many of the horizon planes that require a receiver or battery. unless I can't get them in BNF. Save a little money where I can.

But baby steps....
Old 01-16-2014, 06:07 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You only save about $10 going the BNF route over putting in a 4-5 channel receiver from a different brand. The value of having the Spektrum radio is being able to fly the planes that don't have the PNP option.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:06 PM
magnum

wow. Went to Montgomery (about a 7 hour round trip) with a friend to look at some stuff from another friend who had passed away a few months ago. Turned out someone else was moving and had an older model Ugly stick .60, recovered in yellow with a K$B .60 I believe. A Rascal 40 with engine and a trainer that I am not sure of the make with no engine, and another slow flyer that has power by cox, its a gull wing floater that runs with a 1/2A engine.

The trainer is about .40 size and has been crashed but easily rebuild-able. Both the trainer and the floater are tissue and dope covered. Nice find on some older planes.

Had not planned on buying any RC planes but got a good deal and have 4 planes already. May convert them all into electric.