Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

PZ Albatros; control question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

PZ Albatros; control question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 02:09 AM
JPerrone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PZ Albatros; control question

Maidened the ParkZone Albatros today; quite fun. In a slightly tight turn (banking using aileron only) it seems to lose altitude, I am thinking this must be what a tip stall is. I've crashed a bunch of times in RealFlight and my self-learned recovery for that was:
- reduce bank,
- raise the nose a bit,
- then continue the turn.

That worked with the Albatros!!! So time on the simulator was worth it.

However, I was wondering whether combination of rudder + aileron might help; I'm not using any rudder on these turns. Questions:
Could this be programmed into the transmitter?
Is this what people mean by "exponential"?
Is my recovery from a tip stall as detailed above correct or is there a better way?

Regards
Old 02-14-2014, 03:28 AM
CafeenMan

Assuming you have enough speed to even make the turn without losing altitude then you need to reduce bank and increase elevator. Normally coordinated rudder is used in the direction of the turn which will lower the nose if anything.

Exponential has nothing to do with it. Exponential means changing how much the servo moves in relation to the stick.

So say you have no exponential. If your servo moves 30 degrees in each direction from center, then moving the stick half way in either direction will move the servo 15 degrees. Moving the stick all the way moves the servo 30 degrees.

If you program in exponential the way most people use it the relationship between the stick and the servo is no longer linear.

The idea is that the servo moves less around center so that you get smoother control. The servo still moves the full amount but at first you move the stick and the servo moves less. As you move the stick farther the servo starts to catch up.

For example, you can set up differential so that at half stick the servo only moves 10 degrees instead of 15. By the time you move the stick all the way the servo will have moved the full 30 degrees.

By the way you can program rudder to aileron mix in a computer transmitter. But you should have it on a switch so you can turn it on or off.

Best thing to do is learn to fly the rudder. The sooner you learn to do it the easier it will be. I only started recently and have been flying forever so it's a hard habit to get into and I don't do it very well. Usually too much rudder.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 AM
jetmech05

Sounds like your not adding enough elevator in the turn. Do you have to use rudder? No you don't but you need to learn rudder. Once rudder is learned you'll use it without knowing it.
The answer about expo above is spot on.
The best way to recover from a tip stall is to stop the rotation. Drop the nose add power and then climb. If your aircraft didn't roll over you were not in a tip stall.
To me it sounds like it's simply not enough elevator (up) in the turn
Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 AM
JPerrone

I think the solution is probably to learn how to use the rudder. I have a couple of 3 channel planes with rudder; but the rudder's on the right stick, so it's a strange situation of using the rudder; but not knowing how to use the rudder in conjunction with aileron.

I messed up a pre-flight check once, and had my aileron's reversed. Pretty quickly, I figured out what the problem was; but that didn't help. If I had known how to fly the rudder, I could/would have stopped using aileron at all, and use only rudder. But I couldn't make the switch, and that plane went in hard!!