Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

setting up flaps on a AR6210 Receiver

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

setting up flaps on a AR6210 Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 PM
stlmstr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting up flaps on a AR6210 Receiver

I am trying to setup a Multiplex Fun Cub with a Spketrum DX6i TX and a Spektrum AR6210 receiver.. Everything works as it should when connected to the receiver except for flaps. There are only 2 ports available to use. The gear port and the Auxillary port. I have tried connecting the flaps servos to both ports . If connected to the gear port the flaps work but they work seperately like ailerons, one up and one down. Connected to the auxillary port the flaps don't work at all. Also the Fun Cub want stay bound to the receiver. I am having to leave the bind plug in all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can fix these two issues?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 09:57 PM
torelentless

I hear you can face both servos same direction or turn one servo arm 180° or get a reverse y harness. never done it just read
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The real problem to me is that the RX does not "stay bound". That requires further investigation, effort, and resolution before anything else occurs.

The flap problem sounds like you are using a separate channel for each side. Have you tried using a "Y" cable and only one channel?
If you try the "Y" cable, and the flaps behave like ailerons - - - You can go back to two channels, and reverse one in the TX. Or, it may be possible to move the servo to flap linkage and servo arm to the other side. Some of the RTF and "receiver ready" models used a reverse version of a servo in one or possibly two locations. The DX 6i has a monitor function that shows the servo movement/direction for each channel.

According to the model's instructions - - -
The servos should form a mirror-image pair, i.e. one left,one right. (This is the likely cause of aileron like behavior.)
Old 02-24-2014, 01:45 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by stlmstr
I am trying to setup a Multiplex Fun Cub with a Spketrum DX6i TX and a Spektrum AR6210 receiver.. Everything works as it should when connected to the receiver except for flaps. There are only 2 ports available to use. The gear port and the Auxillary port. I have tried connecting the flaps servos to both ports . If connected to the gear port the flaps work but they work seperately like ailerons, one up and one down. Connected to the auxillary port the flaps don't work at all. Also the Fun Cub want stay bound to the receiver. I am having to leave the bind plug in all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can fix these two issues?

Thanks
Have you set up flap in your radio? You have to activate the Flap function in the DX6i from memory.

As for the binding issue.

is your DX6i an old DSM2 version or does it have an X on the faceplate?

When you bind the RX, power down the receiver, remove the bind plug and re power the receiver. It should stay bound.

How close is your TX to the RX when you power up? It should be at least 2 meters away or you can have problems.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:51 AM
stlmstr

Thanks guys . I have solved the binding problem. The order I was using to turn the ESC on was the problem. As for the flap problem, I didn't know you have to activate the flap option so I will back up and see if I can figure out how to do that. If I activate the flap function should I then plug the flap lead into the flap or auxillary port? Also do you have to activate the auxillary channel? Thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

hi, stlmstr... regarding the flaps, assuming they are connected using a Y cord, the flaps will move in opposite directions, just like the ailerons do.
in order to use a Y cord with flaps you will need to do one of the following:
1) Use a 'reversing Y cord' (a Y cord with a servo reverser on ONE lead... this will reverse one flap servo but not the other)
2) physically reverse one flap servo (requires pretty good eyesight and soldering skills, and will void the warrantee on that servo)
3) mount one flap servo so that when when looking at both flap servo's the control arms will go to the SAME side of each servo.
(they should be different from how the ailerons are set up... with the ailerons, you'll have the control arm going to the outboard (or inboard) side of BOTH servos.. for flaps the control arms would be going to the inboard side of ONE flap servo, but to the outboard side of the other servo)

imho the best way is to not use a y cord at all...
plug one flap servo into the gear port, the other flap servo into the aux port (you may need to enable the aux function in the transmitter)
then mix gear channel into aux channel.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:56 AM
stlmstr

Thanks AMA 74894. I like your suggestion of eliminating the Y cord. Since I am new at this and the instructions are silent about how to do a lot of things. Can you tell me how to activate the auxillary channel. I don't think it is active because on the monitor it dosen't appear to be sending any signals. Thanks again. Without the RCUniverse site I would just give up but you guys have answers for everything. Sure am glad I found this site.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 AM
AMA 74894

I'm working from memory ONLY for the moment...
I THINK you need to program the transmitter to use one aileron servo and two flap servo's ..
(it's possible that is a DX7-8-9 setting... ) I'll see what I can come up with but I'm pretty sure that's going to be the fix.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 AM
AMA 74894

found it... you have to enable flaps in the airplane menu...

'The Flap System allows the flap and elevator positions to be programmed for landing and takeoff. This is
accomplished by selecting values for the elevator and flaps to be activated when the Flap/ Gyro is engaged. Two
flap and elevator positions are available. Normal and Land.

To access the FLAPS function
Press the ROLLER and hold while turning on the transmitter. When SETUP LIST appears on screen, release the
roller'

'Rotate the roller to highlight FLAPS and press the roller to access the FLAPS function'

'Rotate the roller to highlight the desired flap or elevator value that you wish to adjust then press the roller to access
the selected value. Rotate the roller to change the value'

the flaps should now both work using the flap switch... IF you need more than two positions, then you'd need to mix, but try it with just flaps up / flaps down first.
I'd set the flaps to 100% and the elevators at zero. fly it and try it... (at altitude)

IF you find the elevator trim is different with flaps deployed, then go back in and change the elevator setting above...

hope that helps!
Old 02-24-2014, 10:14 AM
stlmstr

Thanks AMA. I got everything working correctly the way you suggested without the Y harness and mixing Gear and Auxillary. Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!! You have been a big help as has everyone else on the forum that offered advice. Now I will need to program each of the control functions to the beginner settings stated in the Fun Cub manual. Haven't done that before either but hopefully I want need any help.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Yuo should try to set the max values on your control surfaces by adjusting the link points on the servo arms and control horns first. Set them to as close as possible to the max recommended travel. Then you can set the minimum travel using the digital values in the transmitter. That way you keep as much re****ion as possible.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 PM
stlmstr

I have the control surfaces set to max values but I still have a problem. On both the elevator and rudder I am getting much more travel on one side compared to the other. The up elevator is about 1/2 less travel than the down elevator and the left rudder is twice as much as right rudder. I only know how to change the overall travel through the TX but don't know how to increase up elevator without changing down elevator and the same thing for the rudder. How do I get them even? The link points on the servo arms and horns are about as good as I know how to get them although the control rod for the Rudder is too short so I can just barely get it screwed down where it want slip out. Help!!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:59 AM
AMA 74894

Originally Posted by stlmstr
I have the control surfaces set to max values but I still have a problem. On both the elevator and rudder I am getting much more travel on one side compared to the other. The up elevator is about 1/2 less travel than the down elevator and the left rudder is twice as much as right rudder. I only know how to change the overall travel through the TX but don't know how to increase up elevator without changing down elevator and the same thing for the rudder. How do I get them even? The link points on the servo arms and horns are about as good as I know how to get them although the control rod for the Rudder is too short so I can just barely get it screwed down where it want slip out. Help!!
lets use the elevator as an example... get to the menu where you're able to change the elevator throw, then hold the elevator stick UP and while holding the stick, adjust the travel value.
then hold the elevator stick DOWN and adjust. (it's the same for all switches and flight controls, to set BOTH end points or travel amounts, hold the respective stick in the direction you're looking to change)
there should be a little arrow next to the word 'Elev' or 'Rudd' that displays which stick position is currently being adjusted.
you also may need to zero out any sub trim, and there is also a 'differential' setting which may be causing some grief.
you MAY want to either start with an empty / default setting airplane and start from scratch, rather than going through each and every menu and making sure the settings are at zero.

hope that makes sense.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:14 AM
AMA 74894

one other point that will probably fix the rudder pushrod, after you've set the endpoints (the servo travel and subtrim) you'll very likely need to mechanically re-adjust all the flight controls...
Sub trim will cause the servo to center in a different spot, and I'd bet the rudder pushrod will miraculously 'grow' to a more correct length.
if it doesn't, is it possible the rudder servo is installed backwards? (backwards specific to this model, there isn't a rule of thumb with the servo's control horn further away from the rudder rather than closer to the rudder)
Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 AM
stlmstr

Thanks AMA, I will give all that a try.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:52 PM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)